Buy a Rav 4 EV, live with my PIP or wait for something new?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I currently have a 2012 PIP and I live in Ithaca NY.

I have been happy with my PIP for the most part but I like to think I am an early adopter and I am very interested in EV's. I bought the PIP because it was obtainable (financially and physically) but it now has 40k miles on it and I am craving a full EV with longer EV range. I am considering selling it and somehow trying to get a Rav EV to central NY. The other option is that I could suck it up and keep the PIP a few more years until something else comes out. (I like that option less)

I run a property management company and I gave up my Tundra because I wanted something with more fuel economy. The PIP was the best option because it had decent space in the back for my tools and supplies. I have installed EV charging station at all of my rental properties so I can charge while I am there. Due to the hills here in Ithaca, I still cant make it round trip and its frustrating because they are all within 10 - 15 miles of each other. I also added a trailer hitch and I tow with it pretty regularly. It can handle a 100 pounds of wood and 600 lb zero turn mowers easily. The PIP however didnt like when I moved 1100lbs of hardwood flooring on a trailer, I wont be doing that again....

So I need something that has room, can tow if needed, and isnt $100,000 because its going to be used for work, a lot. Id of course love a Tesla but I dont want to spend $100,000 on a car that I am throwing paint buckets into the back of.

Any suggestions?
Should I worry about buying a Rav EV and living in NY?
I havent heard of anything coming out that would fit my needs better than a Rav EV.

Have you thought about a Transit Connect Electric? Here's one in Idaho: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ford-Transit-Connect-Electric-d2198#listing=77820166

You might also be able to find a Ford Ranger EV if you're patient. They come up for sale a few times a year and can use an adapter to work with the current J1772 plugs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV

If you're willing to wait, Nissan is supposedly going to sell an electric version of it's cargo van, the e-NV200: http://www.env200.com/

1) Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-in hybrid is coming in a year or two, but only about 20 miles of range. But, it does have a CHAdeMO quick charge port.

2) The previously mentioned NV-2000 all electric, but no gas motor and likely only 70-80 miles range when new, and 20-30% less than that at 100,000 miles. Also, winter will further kill the range.

3) The Rav4 EV can go 142 miles at 65mph when new, and even with degradation and winter time cold, it will still go over 100 miles.

You'll need NEMA 14-50 outlets to use the fastest charging speed of a Rav4 EV / Tesla Model S (without dual chargers).

So it sounds like the Rav EV is probably the best option for me. I want the best range at the best price and the Rav has the space I want. Now I just got to find one at a good price.

Back