How many people have had zero problems with their Rav EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 months and 6k miles, same with most owners, only issue is the charge door getting stuck, which was a design flaw left over from the ICE version of the RAV4.

I'll hit 19,000 miles today, and we will have had it for a year at the end of this month. At this pace, I'll have to look into the extended warranty by next summer. We had a couple of check EV messages, though never in motion. The vehicle always recovered from them, and after the firmware updates and ECU replacement, they have not returned. My wife drives it primarily, as her commute is longer than mine. We got the 3 yr lease with unlimited miles, but I could see buying it after that. I personally love this vehicle, and I don't think there will be anything like it to compete for its functionality, short of the model X.

I own #249, a 2012 that's over 15 months old and almost 20k in. I might have the oldest RAV that's had zero hardware problems. I've had minor software problems with the charge timer and Entune which you've read about here, and which seem to have mostly been resolved - but the RAV's always driven well. (I guess the flat tire I recently had was a hardware problem, but I can't blame that on either Toyota or Tesla.)

I did buy the extended warranty, both because I bought back when Toyota was offering extensive incentives to buy instead of lease, and because I figure my good luck can't last (and will probably end right outside the standard warranty period).

I have VIN# 533, 2012 that I bought (lousy lease deals at that time only sales incentives) in May of 2013. So far it has been very good. Toyota of Palo Alto updated the car to the then current software when I got it and has kept it current since. The only real issue I've was the timer bug in the beginning but I haven't seen that for over 6 months.

arnold

Burnt/melted charging port from a charging station that had been recalled over a year ago but not repaired. Charging station manufacturer paid for it. Not a defect with the RAV4 EV but the problem came about because the RAV4 draws much more power than the LEAFs and Volts that charge at this particular station.

Stuck charging port door. Shin Etsu silicone grease applied to the rubber seal seems to have solved the problem for now.

tailgate1234 said:
Burnt/melted charging port from a charging station that had been recalled over a year ago but not repaired. Charging station manufacturer paid for it. Not a defect with the RAV4 EV but the problem came about because the RAV4 draws much more power than the LEAFs and Volts that charge at this particular station.
Was this a BLINK charging station by chance? Is it safe to charge a RAV4-EV at a public BLINK station? Is there any way to tell if the station has had the J1772 plug replaced, or if the station has been reprogrammed to charge at a slower rate)? I thought all BLINK units had been reprogrammed, but I recently discovered that my own BLINK (at home) will happily charge a RAV4-EV at 7KW. Will CCG still replace a defective BLINK J1772 plug? Or should I replace it myself (especially if I want to get a longer cord)?

The blinks were dialed down along time ago so this is not an issue anymore. You won't find any Blinks probably that can push 32a in the wild without tripping LOL.

The are coded for 24a now. If you have an ext charger like a Brusa or something and try to push them... they fault and wack out :lol:

I went 29k miles and 22 months with no real problems, than with no sign of failing my charge in the car went out. The car was going to so good I stopped reading this forum. Very happy for the warranty. I was not able to get a price of the charger, dealer said they did not know and that it came straight from corp, but labor would of been just over $1,000. Once part was at dealer repair took less than a day.

Vin #505, bought Sep '13, 21,600 mi to date. All software updates. No issues, no whining noise. I love this vehicle.

I had a burnt inlet from a defective charger (it is actually the Rema handles that are defective and not able to put out over 30A without arcing) The Charging company would not acknowledge the fault (they secretly changed out the melted handle and lowered the charge from 30A to 24A) Toyota would not replace under warranty and the dealer wanted $1800 to change the inlet. They claimed a book time of 8-12 hrs technician. They actually had no idea how the part came out. I looked, figured it out and I bought the part and changed it myself. Part was $240 (you can get them on the internet for $70) and took 30 min. 2 bolts and 2 plugs simple. These cars are not rocket science, don't let the dealers intimidate and bully you.

ChrisMtn said:
Vin #505, bought Sep '13, 21,600 mi to date. All software updates. No issues, no whining noise. I love this vehicle.

I had a burnt inlet from a defective charger (it is actually the Rema handles that are defective and not able to put out over 30A without arcing) The Charging company would not acknowledge the fault (they secretly changed out the melted handle and lowered the charge from 30A to 24A) Toyota would not replace under warranty and the dealer wanted $1800 to change the inlet. They claimed a book time of 8-12 hrs technician. They actually had no idea how the part came out. I looked, figured it out and I bought the part and changed it myself. Part was $240 (you can get them on the internet for $70) and took 30 min. 2 bolts and 2 plugs simple. These cars are not rocket science, don't let the dealers intimidate and bully you.
Interesting! I'm not sure anyone else has done that repair themselves and posted about it yet. If you have any other details about that process it'd be great if you could create a thread to share!

TonyWilliams said:
DevinL said:
Interesting! I'm not sure anyone else has done that repair themselves and posted about it yet. If you have any other details about that process it'd be great if you could create a thread to share!

It's just a Yazaki inlet. Standard stuff.
That much I figured - I'm referring more to the physical process of replacement. Having removed a decent amount of skin from my hand while installing a new horn yesterday, it's always nice to know if anyone has pointers based on their first-hand (haha) experience.

just went past 5,000 miles and no problems at all, had a dash trim rattle and got that fixed under warranty.

None here. Bought 2 in April/May. I picked up a couple of nails in the tires, but was able to fix myself with no issues.

I have 8,000 trouble free miles. I love driving the Rav 4 EV. My only complaint is that it is missing fast charging which is a stupid oversight by Toyota and Tesla.

evdrive said:
My only complaint is that it is missing fast charging which is a stupid oversight by Toyota and Tesla.

Omission of fast charging could well have been part of the Toyota / Tesla deal. Tesla may not want fast charging on any of the cars for which they are providing drivetrains. I don't see it on the Mercedes EV. Fast charging might drain off a few Tesla sales, and Toyota is surely not interested in making the RAV4EV popular.

Good thing that we have Tony!

tgreene said:
evdrive said:
My only complaint is that it is missing fast charging which is a stupid oversight by Toyota and Tesla.

Omission of fast charging could well have been part of the Toyota / Tesla deal. Tesla may not want fast charging on any of the cars for which they are providing drivetrains. I don't see it on the Mercedes EV. Fast charging might drain off a few Tesla sales, and Toyota is surely not interested in making the RAV4EV popular.

I think if Toyota and Daimler were willing to spend the time and money doing the development to interface to the industry standard DCFCs and pay Tesla more engineering fees to do the validation testing, it would have been done. However, these are compliance cars and there was little justification to spend that money just to make the cars more popular than they need to be. In other words, I don't think it was Tesla getting in the way.

miimura said:
tgreene said:

I think if Toyota and Daimler were willing to spend the time and money doing the development to interface to the industry standard DCFCs and pay Tesla more engineering fees to do the validation testing, it would have been done. However, these are compliance cars and there was little justification to spend that money just to make the cars more popular than they need to be. In other words, I don't think it was Tesla getting in the way.
Yes, Elon has often said his goal is to help get the planet off of burning gas and he wants to see other manufacturer's develop compelling electric cars. He's not looking to protect Tesla from competitors (note release of patents and willingness to open up superchargers). And he doesn't need to protect Tesla in order for Tesla to be successful.

I just updated the first post in this thread to include a form that DevinL made up for our Owners List spreadsheet. Please complete the form and add your info to our owners list. Its quick, easy, and could help give us all incite into our beloved car.

Here is the survey form.
Rav4 EV Owners List - NEW ENTRY

Here is the owners list thread.
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1300

Back