Rav4 EV for sale, POST HERE ONLY

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Davidb9608 said:
I purchased 1031 from toyota of San Francisco. They must have worked out all the bugs it runs fine. I also own a Chevy volt and a ford transit connect electric. The two really fantastic things about the rav4 are the range and the speedy charge. The Chevy volt is a nicer ride but only 40-50 miles on electric. I plan to keep the rav 4 forever. I am anxiously awaiting Tony's chademo adapter please before the nice weather comes.

A Connect owner! Always been curious about that vehicle. Love the Euro styling of the van and the analogue gauge for remaining charge, but wondered what kind of real world range they get. Enjoy the RAV.

I'm looking hard at VIN 1129 in SF. Only 500 miles on it. Dealer says the history report shows that it simply sat around and had the 12V battery replaced once. Do you think I can have them run any kind of meaningful battery history report to see if there was traction battery damage?

The only known way to test the capacity, of A RAV4 EV, is to do an extended charge and it sit for a couple hour after charging finishes to balance. Then drive it to turtle, divide the m/kWh be the miles driven, to get the capacity.

Anyone looking for a RAV4EV in Phoenix? If so, today is a lucky day, as one just went up for sale, and it's not mine!

http://www.usedvwaudi.com/web/used/Toyota-RAV4-EV-2012-Tempe-Arizona/14227262/

It's a little pricey, but hey, you don't have to ship it here, so that's $600 in your pocket right there. I'd love to have a second if my Volt lease wasn't so cheap.

pchilds said:
The only known way to test the capacity, of A RAV4 EV, is to do an extended charge and it sit for a couple hour after charging finishes to balance. Then drive it to turtle, divide the m/kWh be the miles driven, to get the capacity.
There are some problems with this approach: First off the m/kwh gauge only gives 2 significant digits, so you can get some pretty significant rounding error there. Also, the odometer of the car might not be that accurate - mine at least consistently underreports by a couple percent when compared to what google says the driving distance of my route should be (I can't say how accurate google is though.) Tire inflation and other factors could influence the odometer (and hence m/kwh) reading as well.

Another approach would be to ignore all the gauges in the car and attach a power meter so you can see how much power is pumped into the pack during a full extended charge after driving it all the way to turtle. But that method also has drawbacks: the charging efficiency isn't a known quantity (and likely variable with temperature / power supply / etc.), and how much of a reserve is kept in the pack after reaching turtle isn't precisely known either. Also driving all the way from a full extended charge to turtle isn't exactly convenient, and power consumption meters dedicated to EVSEs aren't widely used.

One method I've looked into is logging my rate of charge over time as calculated by RavCharge. If you only look at all the charges from the same location (e.g. at home), then you would expect that if your battery has degraded then your apparent rate of charge should grow over time: If a 50%-100% (of normal) charge represents 17.5 kwh with a new battery, then it might represent only 17 kwh with a degraded battery, so the same charge should complete faster in the degraded case, while RavCharge calculates your rate based on the unchanging 50% and 100% SOC readings.

There are drawbacks to this, too, however, as the method still relies on the SOC readings from Entune, which could be error-prone, and also only come in whole numbers. However, as long as those errors are random and not systemic they should be averaged out with a decent enough sample size.

Yep, a precisely controlled range test comparing a new Rav to your Rav with everything else possible equal is definitely the be-all-end-all of range tests. My idea is just to try to explore what we can do to measure capacity loss without such an elaborate setup.

fooljoe said:
Yep, a precisely controlled range test comparing a new Rav to your Rav with everything else possible equal is definitely the be-all-end-all of range tests. My idea is just to try to explore what we can do to measure capacity loss without such an elaborate setup.

We already know that the car is published with 41.8kWh usable, and I've driven the car enough to be satisfied that is indeed true. So, there's the baseline.

The "poor man's" method; fuel up with electrons, let the cells balance for some period of time, drive until depleted, then charge up on the same charge station (likely to have the same voltage and amps) at the same temperature and measure the kWh.

Pick an arbitrary charge efficiency and use that as your baseline usable kWh's.

Over time, you'll be able to see the loss of capacity doing this same test.

Yup, and that's basically the same idea I had with using RavCharge data to estimate capacity loss. When you first start logging your rate of charge (at the same station) you establish a baseline, and as the capacity degrades your apparent (based on the change in % SOC, not kwh) rate of charge should increase. The difference is you can use this method without ever having to drive your car all the way to empty or do an extended charge (both of which could hasten the very degradation you're trying to measure) and you don't have to have an EVSE with a power meter attached.

You guys are getting a little off topic but its interesting. I am just starting my search for a Rav 4 EV and I am very curious about battery degradation. I wont clog up this thread on questions, I am hoping I find answers on other threads.

Back to the topic, I live in Ithaca, NY and I am looking for a Rav4 EV. I dont care where it is located. I am willing to travel if its a good price.

Autotrader seems to have broken their search engine as of today, but for the past few weeks I've seen this blue used RAV4 EV listed. I found it directly on the dealer page:

http://www.crowntoyota.com/certified/Toyota/2013-Toyota-RAV4+EV-ontario-ca-5b9f351b0a0a00650b90f6ad5c339314.htm

Specifics: Blue, 2013, 15k miles, $32,900 asking price from the dealer. I'm unclear whether it's actually a Toyota Certified used vehicle or not. Ad displays that banner, for what that's worth.

shikataganai said:
Autotrader seems to have broken their search engine as of today, but for the past few weeks I've seen this blue used RAV4 EV listed. I found it directly on the dealer page:

http://www.crowntoyota.com/certified/Toyota/2013-Toyota-RAV4+EV-ontario-ca-5b9f351b0a0a00650b90f6ad5c339314.htm

Specifics: Blue, 2013, 15k miles, $32,900 asking price from the dealer. I'm unclear whether it's actually a Toyota Certified used vehicle or not. Ad displays that banner, for what that's worth.

Unless they are selling under $30K, I think it's still better to lease a new one. My new RAV4EV will be about $33K total after the 35 payments and the $18K residual (if I purchase at the end). (And that includes the $2500 CA refund check).

AltPowr said:
shikataganai said:

Unless they are selling under $30K, I think it's still better to lease a new one. My new RAV4EV will be about $33K total after the 35 payments and the $18K residual (if I purchase at the end). (And that includes the $2500 CA refund check).

For people out-of-state, used is the only option.

TonyWilliams said:
AltPowr said:

For people out-of-state, used is the only option.

Out of staters are locked out of the lease and its incentives, and also can't take advantage of TFS 0% financing. I believe that we could purchase new from, say, Dianne, though, at $49.8k - $2.5k Toyota rebate - $7.5k Federal credit - $6k Colorado credit ~= $34k all said and done.

This $33k used RAV4 EV would be $27k effectively to me, on the other hand, as the Colorado credit is applicable to used EVs provided they haven't been registered in Colorado before (!)...

Would it be nicer to pick up an effectively <$24k after CO credit used one? Sure, but there aren't many out there yet. Perhaps the dynamic will be different when I'm actually actively looking come May or June 2015.

Well, a job loss and subsequent unfriendly commute's got me pulling someone out of her EV and putting her into a hybrid Avalon.

The EV is pearl white, and it's pristine. I could set it right out on the showroom floor as it is.

Mileage is 6809 right now. I am going to drive it home and back tonight to test for noise or rattle or howl or werewolves. ;)

Reach me at 949-689-0717 if you're an interested buyer. I suspect it's heading out of state because it's too close to in price to new, after all of our lease cash and state rebates.
$33,000 takes it, and that's a no hassle price. That's way way under our Kelley Blue book.

Dianne

This is my first post and sadly it's to spread the word that I'm selling my RAV4 EV. Before purchasing, I poured over all the great information here and became sold on the RAV EV. I'm still a huge fan of the car, love the performance, utility and zero emissions. It's time to say good bye due to my new job where I'll be commuting by BART/Bicycle.

I know from time to time folks have been searching for a used option. If you or anyone you know is interested please see my craigslist ad.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4667131445.html

I've enjoyed being an early adopter and promoter for EV's. Thank you to all the valuable contributors on the forum for your experience and wisdom!

Tom

Back