Key FOB

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufojoe

My wife lost one of our key FOBs today.......Do we have to go through Toyota for replacement, or is there a cheaper way to go......Any idea how much a replacement might cost?

ufojoe said:
My wife lost one of our key FOBs today.......Do we have to go through Toyota for replacement, or is there a cheaper way to go......Any idea how much a replacement might cost?
I was told in the neighborhood of $400... by the salesman who sold me the car.

I, um, laundered my new key fob last night. Just not used to having such a small piece of gadgetry in my pocket. Now it is in pieces and very clean. I still have the spare and am only one person driving the car. Is it REALLY $400 to get another spare? Yikes.

BerkeleyGirl said:
I, um, laundered my new key fob last night. Just not used to having such a small piece of gadgetry in my pocket. Now it is in pieces and very clean. I still have the spare and am only one person driving the car. Is it REALLY $400 to get another spare? Yikes.
If you can, reassemble it and buy a new battery. It may work. My SO has laundered a keyfob and a TV remote, both of which survived with battery replacements.

I looked into getting a third, part was $220 and then they wanted $75 to program it, I will sit on the idea for a bit. As far as the washed one just pt it back together and do what the rest of the world does, take it to the dealer and say "it just stopped working". ;)

Thanks for all the advice. I carefully recovered all the pieces (and it was in pieces), patted them dry, re-assembled the device, and let it sit overnight in a container of dry rice to remove any additional moisture. It worked fine the next day and is still going strong. I didn't even have to replace the battery - though I do have a front loading washing machine, so maybe it didn't get full submersion. That said, I am still in shock over my (almost) $500 mistake. I put the sleek little key fob back on my clunky ring of keys to avoid overlooking it in the future.

I've taken to putting these (EXPENSIVE) fobs in the tiny zip-lock bags you use for storing (a day's) pills. It's a little bit of added security for very little cost.

So now that my wife just got her new RavEV, we have a total of four key fobs - rather than each of us carrying 2 fobs, does anyone know if it would be possible to have each of our primary fobs programmed into the other car, leaving the second fob car specific? Or maybe just program them all together, and worry about separating a couple of them out if we someday decide to sell one of them?

Also, any advice about having 2 cars, 2 entune accounts, etc?

If you use gmail you can setup multiple email addresses to go to the same account.
See http://www.techverse.net/create-multiple-custom-email-address-one-gmail-account/

Basically if your email is [email protected], then you can do [email protected] (i.e. put '.' anywhere in your name).
You can also add a '+'. e.g. [email protected]

EDIT
Don't do the second method of using a + as it goes to both accounts!

EDIT 2
Using the + sign may be OK according to Google, I don't know (YMMV):
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12096?hl=en

I've never had the need or asked, but maybe the kiosk in the mall - you know, the ones that sells key fobs for cars - might be able to replace or repair a key fob for any modern day car. And if they can, surely they will not be selling them for anywhere near a couple hundred dollars. Anyways, it wouldn't hurt to find out . . .

Back