Can one increase regen in "B" gear?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Bornstein

My other car is a Chevy Volt and the "L" gear on the Volt is much more agressive with regenerative braking than the "B" gear on the RAV4. Is there any way to adjust the amount of braking applied by the "B" gear, which is much too light for me? By comparison, the regen braking in a TESLA Model S is severe, it essentially replaces the use of brakes. I would just like the braking to bring me to a near stop in about one city block (i.e. when I see a stop sign or a red light about a block away).

You are probably already aware of this, but I'll mention it anyway. By just applying the brakes lightly you will add to the regen braking without actually applying the friction brakes. I do this all the time. Non-users probably think I am constantly riding my brakes. However, this works pretty well in applying additional regen as you apply slightly more pressure to the pedal. It is even more effective in B mode. Friction braking doesn't kick in until adequate additional force is applied to the pedal.

Back