Center Console mi/kWh meter

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Bornstein

After much searching :) I found the mi/kWh meter on the center console. The one I found is on the MAP split screen with the Efficiency meter. I tried it out today, driving at 55 on a stretch of freeway (about 4 miles) that I drive every day to work. At 65 mph it was reading 2.8-2.9. I slowed to 55 for the last 2-3 miles and it slowly reached 3.0 as I got off the freeway (using "B" gear to slow down to about 35 mph). When I shut the engine off at the end of the trip, my average mi/kWh was 3.3 (which is very good for me, I usually am 2.9-3.1).

How could my average be 3.3 when the meter never read over 3.0? Are they measuring different things? Is there another meter that I should be looking at?

That meter rounds to the nearest whole number, (stupid move Toyota) if you get over 3.5 it will read 4.0.

Can you take a picture of what you're looking at? The split screen version is probably not user friendly. The correct one is "HOME" button, "EV", then use efficiency or something to that effect. There's actually two separate pages of info.

The meter is constantly averaging, so if you are at 65mph, reset the meter (first hit "Update", then "clear").

Then, assuming level ground, no wind, no heater, blah, blah, blah, you should get 3.4 miles per kWh.

This won't be over a mile or ten, but over the trip. There are too many variables for really short trips to make this work well.

TonyWilliams said:
Can you take a picture of what you're looking at? The split screen version is probably not user friendly. The correct one is "HOME" button, "EV", then use efficiency or something to that effect. There's actually two separate pages of info.

The meter is constantly averaging, so if you are at 65mph, reset the meter (first hit "Update", then "clear").

Then, assuming level ground, no wind, no heater, blah, blah, blah, you should get 3.4 miles per kWh.

This won't be over a mile or ten, but over the trip. There are too many variables for really short trips to make this work well.
The split screen is a duplicate of the Home -> EV -> Efficiency thing. I use the split screen version and have to go to the main efficiency page and push "Update" on the Consumption tab to reset the mi/kwh average on the Efficiency tab then go back to the map that has the energy split screen. Or something like that...

It's clearly a carryover from the Prius because it's similar (though ever so slightly stupider) to the dance I used to do to track tank efficiency on my old Prius.

I posted the image below in another thread complaining about how the bars are rendered. I later did some testing and found that the orange bar representing the current Average since Update doesn't change height until the value gets down to 2.6 or up to 3.5. Totally useless. My driving is always within that range, so the bars never show any useful data.

EV_Past_Record_Screen.jpg

miimura said:
I posted the image below in another thread complaining about how the bars are rendered. I later did some testing and found that the orange bar representing the current Average since Update doesn't change height until the value gets down to 2.6 or up to 3.5. Totally useless. My driving is always within that range, so the bars never show any useful data.
Hit that "Trip Information" button. That's the screen I use. The Past Record screen is indeed completely useless, with the exception of being the only place you can find that "Update" button.

DevinL said:
miimura said:
Hit that "Trip Information" button. That's the screen I use. The Past Record screen is indeed completely useless, with the exception of being the only place you can find that "Update" button.
The only thing the Past Record screen is good for is to get a single efficiency number (the Average value) across multiple startup & shutdown events. For example, you plan to drive over 100 miles across 5 different segments on a single charge. Hit Update and reset a Trip Odometer, and you will know how much energy you've used during the whole day. Well, to two significant digits, +/- 3% anyway.

miimura said:
... I later did some testing and found that the orange bar representing the current Average since Update doesn't change height until the value gets down to 2.6 or up to 3.5. Totally useless. My driving is always within that range, so the bars never show any useful data.

More low quality Toyota engineering on a product that was hurried, that they didn't want to build in the first place.

I use the "efficiency" on the dash display. Push the display button on the steering wheel until you find it. The left bar (reset by holding display button) shows the current trip average, and the right bar shows the instantaneous value in a bar graph kinda display. The photo below shows this on the right side. The instant bar is 0 'cause I took the photo when I was stopped.

I use this in conjunction with the "Trip Information" screen on the main display and it gives me pretty good information. Bottom line, I'm not a very efficient driver. I don't think I will earn any eco awards in Entune.

20140901_193926.jpg

Back