Charging Malfunction: check charging source error

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amgdad

I keep getting the following error: Charging Malfunction: check charging source error, but the car is charging. Also it appears that it starts charging right away and doesn't wait. Has this happen to anyone else?

Leveton 40 amp, but the car wasn't plugged in. Also got same error with 2 other chargers. But it still charged with error, just no delayed charge

Well, "Leviton" is the EVSE recommended by Toyota for the RAV4 EV, so incompatibility should not be an issue, but I guess it is possible you have a deviant EVSE, but more likely a malfunctioning battery related system in the car. I'd take your RAV4 EV in to your dealer for a proper "checkup". Since the same problem has happened on 3 different EVSEs, it probably is something wrong with the car, not your Leviton EVSE.

Just got my Rav back today after being the shop for just under 2 weeks. Tesla and Toyota came and looked at the car and decided after looking at a number parts the problem was the gateway ECU

amgdad said:
Just got my Rav back today after being the shop for just under 2 weeks. Tesla and Toyota came and looked at the car and decided after looking at a number parts the problem was the gateway ECU
Is it all fixed, or are you still waiting on the ECU?

They replaced the gateway ECU yesterday and tested yesterday and today. Tesla & Toyota engineers came out and tested the car. They believe that there was a problem with the ECU reading the sd card. Tonight I will see if the delay charge function works, the immediate charge does work fine, but doesn't give me the notice that it was charging.

The dealer came me a two page report telling what parts where tested and the results.

Back