Visiting the Woodstock, Ontario assembly plant

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
kiwiguy said:
Nothing like a 5,000 mile detour for your car, when you are so close to the Ontario plant! :D

I think. Jim should be our designated first person to drive a Rav4 EV back to its "home" in Woodstock, Ontario and take a few pics.

That's definitely doable. I'm not sure I have time to do it before winter gets here. With all the stops it would probably be a 6-7 day trip.

jimbo69ny said:
TonyWilliams said:
kiwiguy said:
Nothing like a 5,000 mile detour for your car, when you are so close to the Ontario plant! :D

I think. Jim should be our designated first person to drive a Rav4 EV back to its "home" in Woodstock, Ontario and take a few pics.

That's definitely doable. I'm not sure I have time to do it before winter gets here. With all the stops it would probably be a 6-7 day trip.

????

What city would you be leaving from? I can go from Mexico to Canada in 6-7 days.

jimbo69ny said:
But you have a fastcharger.

I'd go from Ithaca to Rochester, to buffalo, to Woodstock ON.

No, I don't. I've done Mexico to Canada and returned with just a JESLA. Nothing else.

It's 520 miles from Ithaca to Woodstock. With a full charge to start, you could drive 100-150 miles each leg and stop a total 3 stops each way, each averaging 130 miles. Your third stop is the destination, where you should overnight and get a full charge.

With a JESLA or your OPENevse at 40 amps, just plug into RV parks along the way. Each recharge will take about 5 hours.

So, two days there. Two days return.

kiwiguy said:
Isn't it only 260 miles from Ithaca to Woodstock?
That would be a 2 day trip.

But we dont have as many charging stations as you guys in Cali. Id have to check again but I am pretty sure there isnt a place to charge half way, if even in fact it is only 260 miles.

There definitely are not dozens.

There is one along my route. located at 90 Strathroy Crescent, Hamilton, ON L0R 2H5

I would go from my house, to my moms in rochester (121 miles), to the house in Hamilton (118 miles), to the plant (52.8 miles), back to the house in Hamilton (52.8 miles), back to my moms (118 miles), then home (121 miles).

Here is the route.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/882+W+Dryden+Rd,+Freeville,+NY,+USA/1363+Brookedge+Dr,+Hamlin,+NY+14464/90+Strathroy+Crescent,+Waterdown,+ON+L0R+2H5,+Canada/Dundas+St,+Woodstock,+ON+N4S,+Canada/@42.9251691,-79.6943004,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m31!4m30!1m10!1m1!1s0x89da78036ac75299:0xd1b96d927a46f918!2m2!1d-76.4445662!2d42.5163186!3m4!1m2!1d-76.6152826!2d42.6401025!3s0x89d099959d6d253b:0xd728000627bcf341!1m5!1m1!1s0x89d6a7e3ee687f49:0xe27edfb6c8886f81!2m2!1d-77.912024!2d43.306139!1m5!1m1!1s0x882c9d357c6db519:0xe7c91df83419c9f!2m2!1d-79.9169248!2d43.3261102!1m5!1m1!1s0x882c1f30e4d03af1:0x36cff0970f651b24!2m2!1d-80.7496235!2d43.1311266!3e0

I just emailed them regarding a tour and if there is a place to charge while I am there.
http://www.tmmc.ca/en/plant-tours.html

I sent an email to them and this is their response.

"Thank you for your interest in the Toyota Tour Program.
The tour program begins with a 10 -15 minute introductory video followed by safety rules. Following this is the tour, where visitors are driven on motorized trams through our Welding and Assembly shops, were we build the Corolla, Lexus RX350 and 450h. Unfortunately we do not have tours of our West plant where we do make the RAV 4

Tour Schedule

The following tour schedule has been established to line up with vehicle production schedules:

Mondays (Sep-Jun) 9:30am, 12:15pm
Tuesdays 9:30am, 12:15pm, 2:00pm
Wednesdays 9:30am, 12:15pm, 2:00pm
Thursdays 9:30am, 12:15pm, 2:00pm

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada is proudly growing and developing. As a result, this schedule may change from
time to time.

In order to book your complimentary plant tour of our Cambridge facility, we do need to book for an exact number of guests as we do book multiple groups into each tour time. Tours take approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes in total, and we can accommodate anywhere from 1 to 48 guests at each tour time. All guests are required to arrive 15 minute prior to their scheduled tour.

If any guest will be attending in a wheelchair or walker, you must inform us at the time of booking. For safety reasons, groups must provide a support person(s) in case of emergency while out on tour as their mobility device will not be on the tram with us. This support person(s) must be physically able to evacuate them to the exterior of the plant should an emergency arise. This might be a lengthy walk, depending on where in the facility we are located. Mobility devices will be left in the Visitor Centre, unattended, while the guests are out on tour.
All guests must also be able to wear safety glasses and headsets (which we provide) throughout the entire tour, as this is a safety requirement.

We do have an age restriction of 8 years of age and older. Anyone under the age of 8 is not permitted into the plant for safety reasons.

Once a tour date and time has been confirmed, we will require the first and last names of all guests, and ages of children. This is provided to security for entry into TMMC on the day of your tour.

Also we do have 2 charging stations for your electric vehicle at Gate 1 which we would be happy to arrange for you to charge your RAV4 EV

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know, or you may also visit our website at www.tmmc.ca and follow the link for tours.

Please note the office is closed on Fridays.
Toyota Tour Guide
1055 Fountain Street North
Cambridge ON N3H 5K2
519-653-1111 EXT. 2270
Fax 519-653-9288
[email protected]
*PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL TOURS ARE BOOKED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS*
TOURS ARE ONLY CONFIRMED WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR TOUR CONFIRMATION"

Its cool that they do have a charger there for me to use. Does anyone else want to join me on this trip?

jimbo69ny said:
There definitely are not dozens.

There is one along my route. located at 90 Strathroy Crescent, Hamilton, ON L0R 2H5
Huh? What do you mean there aren't dozens??

Via PlugShare.com:

plugshare-map.jpg

Maybe you didn't zoom in – they plot more stations as you zoom in closer. (I zoomed back out to take this snapshot.) Or maybe you're filtering out the bulk of the stations?

Here are the PlugShare settings to generate that map:

plugshare-settings.jpg

Remove all of the charging stations that we can't use with the Rav 4. Select 14-50 and J1772 stations.

Then look at my route. You will see that I am right.

A 110 outlet and any fast charger isn't going to do much for me.

jimbo69ny said:
Remove all of the charging stations that we can't use with the Rav 4. Select 14-50 and J1772 stations.

Then look at my route. You will see that I am right.

A 110 outlet and any fast charger isn't going to do much for me.
Yup, J1772 and 14-50, public stations, including fee-based, and I still see loads of stations. I don't know why you aren't able to see them as well. Are you showing public stations??

Update: I've since edited down the map in my previous post and shown the settings used to generate it. I'd recommend finding out why you can't see all the charging stations in case you have future need to use it. (Or in case your planned station isn't operational.) Best of luck and enjoy!

jimbo69ny said:
Remove all of the charging stations that we can't use with the Rav 4. Select 14-50 and J1772 stations. Then look at my route. You will see that I am right. A 110 outlet and any fast charger isn't going to do much for me.
You are correct that, while there are a lot of 110V and car dealership J1772 chargers along the way, none of them are usable. The Nissan in Auburn isn't going to let you charge. North Face in Victor (about 82 miles) is the closest public charger from Ithaca on your route. There's a charger at Rustic Village in Rochester (along with some car dealership chargers that you can't use), and then nothing until Williamsville where there are several possibilities. Buffalo also has a lot of possibilities, as does Niagra Falls. Ontario has chargers, but most look like you need to be a guest at a hotel or it's another car dealership.

Blastphemy said:
jimbo69ny said:
Remove all of the charging stations that we can't use with the Rav 4. Select 14-50 and J1772 stations. Then look at my route. You will see that I am right. A 110 outlet and any fast charger isn't going to do much for me.
You are correct that, while there are a lot of 110V and car dealership J1772 chargers along the way, none of them are usable.
Man, you guys are seriously "glass half full"! Instead of focusing on the charging stations at competing dealerships, take note of all the public stations at markets, malls and parking garages (like in Rochester and Niagara Falls). It's nice to have things filling out for us! And you'll find the same in California too – lots of dealership stations but also growing numbers of more public ones. This is good! Smile! :D

We're nowhere near the point of having them spread out along highways like gas stations, but it's getting doable. And bring on the DC fast charging! (Go Tony!)

jimbo69ny said:
kiwiguy said:
Isn't it only 260 miles from Ithaca to Woodstock?
That would be a 2 day trip.

But we dont have as many charging stations as you guys in Cali. Id have to check again but I am pretty sure there isnt a place to charge half way, if even in fact it is only 260 miles.

You wouldn't use public charging unless you wanted 2/3 the charging speed (208v * 30a = 6.2kW.

Stick with RV parks or welding outlets for 240v * 40a (9.6kW) except for the overnight charge. Then, slower public charging is OK.

jimbo69ny said:
I would go from my house, to my moms in rochester (121 miles), to the house in Hamilton (118 miles), to the plant (52.8 miles), back to the house in Hamilton (52.8 miles), back to my moms (118 miles), then home (121 miles).

Sounds like a great plan. Now, while you're waiting to charge, go to Home Depot with an oil car and get enough goodies to put an RV outside outlet NEMA 14-50R (about $50), some 6 gauge wires and a 50 amp breaker and you're good to go in the future.

Back