Gap after Rav4EV and before Tesla Model 3

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be very,very happy if something with better range, equal passenger and storage space, and faster charging became available in the next couple years. The Leafs, volts, and such are just too darn small - I'm only 6-2, but I couldn't comfortably fit in any of them, and no way I could take kids or folks in the rear. But I don't think thats gonna happen - even if the charge/range capacity of our RAV EVs were to drop 30%, it will still be the ideal vehicle for urban shopping and family use. I think it would be foolish to not buyout at the end of the lease - I would even suggest that you could probably make some money selling these used in a few years - lease buyout is 19k, what do you seriously think would be a reasonable alternative to a $22K Rav EV in 2 years when my lease is up?

Tadol said:
... what do you seriously think would be a reasonable alternative to a $22K Rav EV in 2 years when my lease is up?

Nothing. Nobody is going to make a CUV (a real CUV) like a Rav4 EV.

I'm confident that the value of these will be well over $30k, and possibly over $40k when the SUV competition will be a Model X or Model 3 CUV.

TonyWilliams said:
Tadol said:
... what do you seriously think would be a reasonable alternative to a $22K Rav EV in 2 years when my lease is up?

I'm confident that the value of these will be well over $30k, and possibly over $40k when the SUV competition will be a Model X or Model 3 CUV.

Tony, when my lease is up I hope you are correct:)

TonyWilliams said:

Used is closer to $33,000 now. I doubt the price will suddenly pop close to $40K. Especially as they accumulate more miles.

I would have really looked at a Model X without the 3rd row seats and just 2wd for a lower price point. Maybe a few more years after the 3 is out....

smkettner said:
TonyWilliams said:

Used is closer to $33,000 now. I doubt the price will suddenly pop close to $40K. Especially as they accumulate more miles.

You do know that the far less capable first generation Rav4 EV was selling for $40k just before the current one came to market? That first generation car sold new for under $30k, as opposed to the $50k sticker on the current car.

Some folks may forget that the earliest buyers, like me, actually paid full price.

So, yes, I'm extremely confident that an extreme limited production one-of-a-kind car with exceptional performance compared to its peers will do well.

I never suggested the price would "suddenly pop" anywhere. It will go up in price, however.

My next car will be the Mini Electric Superleggera Vision. A bit impractical, but ever so fun. Shagedelic and minimalistic. ;) BMW, please produce this car and make the range comparable to the RAV4ev or better.

http://insideevs.com/mini-unveils-superleggera-vision-concorso-deleganza-villa-deste-2014-wvideos/

Ntd said:
My next car will be the Mini Electric Superleggera Vision. A bit impractical, but ever so fun. Shagedelic and minimalistic. ;) BMW, please produce this car and make the range comparable to the RAV4ev or better.

http://insideevs.com/mini-unveils-superleggera-vision-concorso-deleganza-villa-deste-2014-wvideos/

That looks so cool ... does it come in red ... with a shoe phone?

Ntd said:

That is one super cold car. I might want two "fins" on the trunk lid... one behind each occupants head, aka Jaguar.

I'd also want a roll over bar. Other than that, let's build this thing!

TonyWilliams said:
smkettner said:
TonyWilliams said:

You do know that the far less capable first generation Rav4 EV was selling for $40k just before the current one came to market? That first generation car sold new for under $30k, as opposed to the $50k sticker on the current car.

The difference is that the Rav4ev (in VERY small numbers) was almost the only factory built EV available when demand for EV's was building with Tesla, GM, and Nissan all talking about bringing out an EV. If you wanted to drive electric, and did not want to DIY, then this was about the only thing going, and it was a very well built vehicle. The Ford and GM offerings with their mini trucks were not very appealing, and the EV1 was not available. Once the Leaf, Volt and before the Model S came out, the price of the original Rav4ev's dropped significantly.

I think the new Rav4ev will hold its value well, but it won't cross into the 40's (jmho); but it also should stay well above the $30k threshold for quite a while given its great value with utility and range.

Back