low speed proximity sound

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVster

Hi - my first post - I've had my RAV4EV for about a month now.
Not sure if I've heard the "low speed proximity sound".
Can anyone please let me know what this sounds like?
Thanks!

EVster said:
Hi - my first post - I've had my RAV4EV for about a month now.
Not sure if I've heard the "low speed proximity sound".
Can anyone please let me know what this sounds like?
Thanks!

Same sound as on a prius:

http://priuschat.com/threads/prius-v-prius-prius-c-prius-pih-vehicle-proximity-notification-system-vpns-impressions-opinions.105623/

Been hearing a clicking sound coming from front left at slow speeds - can't seem to find a rock or nail in my tier - anybody else hear this?

EVster said:
Been hearing a clicking sound coming from front left at slow speeds - can't seem to find a rock or nail in my tier - anybody else hear this?
yeah! finally! Another person has it too!
I am going crazy about this.
I used a small screw driver to get all rocks out of the thread of the tires.
Don't know what it is but it drives me mad.

Good to know I am not the only one, will go back to a Toyota dealer now.
Thanks for reporting it here!

6D50B08C-AD5F-41E7-B362-03447CC20509.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
picture of speaker of proximity sound

The clicking sound can't be coming from that.
I removed my speaker from the car all together long ago.

fromport said:
TonyWilliams said:
picture of speaker of proximity sound

The clicking sound can't be coming from that.
I removed my speaker from the car all together long ago.

my condolences to the pedestrian who eventually walks in front of your moving car.

fromport said:
I normally have my eyes open facing forward when I drive :D

And why don't you want pedestrians to know you are behind them?

The sound should be the same as an ICE so pedestrians recognize that a car is behind them. The low speed proximity sound in the LEAF was useless. Probably the same with the RAV4 EV.

I just noticed a clicking sound coming from my wheels while driving slowly the other day and was able to determine that it was coming from the plastic logo insert in the center of each wheel. They are loose and click when they move as the wheel turns.

Clicking sound = loose plastic logo insert: confirmed!

Thank you for saving me from hanging the kids out of the window to find the source of the incessant clicking sound!

;)

So has anyone tried fixing this yet?
It seems that all my Toyota emblems are loose on the center caps...

TonyWilliams said:
EVster said:
So has anyone tried fixing this yet?
It seems that all my Toyota emblems are loose on the center caps...

Superglue?

I just put some plumber's puddy behind it, now the sound is gone. If you don't have that then maybe some play doe might work too.

I was pretty surprised to discover this, but I've since found all sorts of Toyota build quality issues around the vehicle. For example, the manual sliding mechanism on the driver's seat doesn't always lock properly along both left and right rails when the seat is adjusted. And there's the uneven gap in the bumper/quarter-panel union on one side of the car. And the uneven gaps in the hood/bumper union up front...

Coming out of a 3-year Nissan Leaf lease, I'd have to say that the Leaf is better built, in general, from a fit and finish perspective.

Back