Toyota Says No One Wants Toyota Electric Car, SIGN PETITION

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unHookt

From http://green.autoblog.com/2014/10/28/toyota-says-no-one-wants-a-toyota-electric-car/

It's no secret that Toyota doesn't really have a heart in pushing pure electric vehicles. The very limited Scion iQ EV project was killed before it went very far and the RAV4 EV project with Tesla was always only meant to produce just 2,600 units, but it didn't even get that far. In short, by all public appearances, Toyota just doesn't see the value of a pure EV.

"No one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car." – Toyota's Craig Scott

Toyota's public reasoning for the lack of a Prius C EV, for example, has often been that customers don't want to compromise on range and that hydrogen is a better bet. Company executives like Bob Carter say so over and over again. A new comment by Craig Scott, Toyota's national manager of advanced technologies, says that the Japanese automaker, give a slightly different spin on things. "Toyota actually favors fuel cells over other zero-emission vehicles, like pure battery electric vehicles," he told the Los Angeles Times. "We would like to be still selling cars when there's no more gas. And no one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car."

This, understandably, has riled up a lot of EV supporters, many of whom have called on all automakers to sell more electric vehicles. After all, if Nissan can sell around 3,000 EVs a month in the US, couldn't Toyota do something similar? Are there thousands of people coming to the door asking for the fuel cell sedan that Toyota will start selling in the US next year? That answer is unclear, but it certainly doesn't look like Toyota is backing off its H2 bet any time soon.

I think if you asked anyone if they would want a Tesla (or Rav4 EV with more range) at a reasonable cost they would say yes. A stylish EV with 200+ mile range and quick charging. What not to like?

The reason most people are not knocking on Toyota's door for an EV is because most people cannot afford the current generation EVs. The reason Toyota doesn't want to sell EVs is because they cant make money selling them. The batteries alone make them too expensive. I wonder how much Toyota lost of every Rav4 EV compliance car they sold? I believe that this will get fixed over time. Batteries will get cheaper and better. EVs will get cheaper and better.

Ultimately, I believe that EVs are here to stay and will grow market share over time. Plugging into your house, the performance, the reliability. I could go on but I know I am preaching to the choir
; - )

Thanks goodness for us early adopters to keep things moving as the EV industry matures.

unHookt said:
"No one is coming to our door asking us to build a new electric car." – Toyota's Craig Scott

It would be pretty funny if some of us made an appointment with him and then came to his door asking Toyota to build a new electric car.

Well he is right that RAV4-EV seems to be a slow seller. Of course very few know it exists either.
Personally I feel lucky to have one but cannot talk DW into a second. Range and charging is the issue.
Perception of needing a bug-out vehicle to go 750 miles in one day if needed is the issue even if absurd.
Mass adoption is going to be a loooong road. Certainly much longer than I thought.
Need one more quantum leap in batteries.

Can't imagine the fuel cells will be any better. Probably less demand IMHO.

I have repeatedly heard people say that they won't consider the RAV4 EV because Toyota's heart is not in it and it's just a "compliance car" that will not be well supported. Honestly, I don't care about that. I would have bought any EV with a real trunk, 40kWh battery, and 5 passenger seating with a net cost of less than $40,000.

More Toyota propaganda, if you believe these talking points are Toyotas long term permanent strategy then their misinformation campaign is working brilliantly. Those that think Toyota is not fully engaged in advance traction pack development also would believe the low priced Tesla is going to be priced as promised, don't be fooled again by Toyota's agenda based messaging. If you believe this BS then you fell for the BS that Toyota needed Tesla to build the second gen RAV. If EVs make financial sense to build for any car company you can bet that they all will be making them. When battery tech is much more advanced no car maker will be sitting back while others sell 200 nile plus EVs. Toyota does not sit back with their head in the sand, they are clever and crafty in every way you can imagine like any successful company. Even the companies you would least think have EV development have had it for many years. The best part of this is who plays poker face the best.

smkettner said:
Personally I feel lucky to have one but cannot talk DW into a second. Range and charging is the issue.
Perception of needing a bug-out vehicle to go 750 miles in one day if needed is the issue even if absurd.

DW = Da Wife?

Yeah, I can't get rid of the Pilot, at least not now. We need something to run over the zombies. Kinda defeats the purpose of getting this one.

4EVEREV said:
More Toyota propaganda, if you believe these talking points are Toyotas long term permanent strategy then their misinformation campaign is working brilliantly. Those that think Toyota is not fully engaged in advance traction pack development also would believe the low priced Tesla is going to be priced as promised, don't be fooled again by Toyota's agenda based messaging. If you believe this BS then you fell for the BS that Toyota needed Tesla to build the second gen RAV. If EVs make financial sense to build for any car company you can bet that they all will be making them. When battery tech is much more advanced no car maker will be sitting back while others sell 200 nile plus EVs. Toyota does not sit back with their head in the sand, they are clever and crafty in every way you can imagine like any successful company. Even the companies you would least think have EV development have had it for many years. The best part of this is who plays poker face the best.

I'll believe this when I see it. I don't think they are playing poker with these kinds of statements. They are either being honest, or they are being disingenuous by blaming consumers for their decision.

And who ever said that Toyota needed Tesla? The only thing I've ever heard is that it appeared the both Toyota and Tesla were being opportunistic by working with each other. I haven't encountered Toyota needing Tesla as propaganda or otherwise.

I guess the thing that rubs me the wrong way is, one, that it's blaming the consumers for a lack of interest, which is an insult to all of us who did in fact invest our money in a Toyota EV. And, two, that they've done this song and dance once before when they killed the first gen Rav EV.

james said:
The reason Toyota doesn't want to sell EVs is because they cant make money selling them. The batteries alone make them too expensive. I wonder how much Toyota lost of every Rav4 EV compliance car they sold?
If Nissan and Tesla can make money selling EVs (and they do), then of course Toyota - the automaker that's historically proven itself best at making money selling cars - can do the same. Of course they lost money on the Rav4-EV, since they basically "hand made" only 2600 of them, and they paid Tesla $40k/car for the power trains. Then again, Toyota did make a killing on their investment in Tesla, so there's that. Interesting how Toyota loves to talk about how "nobody wants EVs" while at the same time investing in the leading EV maker. I guess they just like to put their money where their mouth isn't...

Oh, and I guess the Chinese are doing a better job of coming to Toyota's door and asking them to build a new electric car, since that's exactly what they're doing.

Toyota, knock, knock. I'm knocking on your door asking you to build the next gen Rav 4 EV with quick or supercharging capability.

If you haven't already done so, contact Toyota directly and tell them you want a new EV from them.

From their website at: http://www.toyota.com/support/contact.html

------------------------------
Contact Us
Contact Toyota

Whether you’re a Toyota owner or just have a question about our products, Toyota is committed to providing a rewarding customer experience. Select the most convenient way to reach us, and we look forward to assisting you. Need help? Have a question? Get instant answers 24/7.

We’re here to help. Whether you have questions about your vehicle, our products, navigation, Entune™, ToyotaCare, warranty and more, your answers are just a click away. It’s available 24/7. Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions today.

Phone Fax

Phone: 800-331-4331 Fax:310-468-7814

M-F 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PT
Sat 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

Email

Before you email us, please check out our FAQ section. Many of our visitors have found quick answers to their questions by searching our FAQs.
Email: http://www.toyota.com/support/#!/app/ask

Postal Mail
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
19001 South Western Ave.
Dept. WC11
Torrance, CA 90501

If I lived in Southern California I'd take the lead in organizing a meetup at Toyota's HQ in Torrance with the goal of getting 100 RAV4 EV's to be there. I'd make sure the media knew that this was the largest collection of the BEST overall EV ever made by Toyota (or anyone else if you consider cost/performance/value).

One by one, we'd go to the front door and KNOCK on it, asking them to make a new/upgraded EV. Would be some nice press, and I think the media would show up. At the least, digital/social networks would pick it up...

Have a little "teach in" to educate the public (and media folks) about the RAV4 EV and why it's such a GREAT car.

I'm sure Toyota would be delighted with the free publicity......
:)

Larry_in_Seattle said:
If I lived in Southern California I'd take the lead in organizing a meetup at Toyota's HQ in Torrance with the goal of getting 100 RAV4 EV's to be there. I'd make sure the media knew that this was the largest collection of the BEST overall EV ever made by Toyota (or anyone else if you consider cost/performance/value).

One by one, we'd go to the front door and KNOCK on it, asking them to make a new/upgraded EV. Would be some nice press, and I think the media would show up. At the least, digital/social networks would pick it up...

Have a little "teach in" to educate the public (and media folks) about the RAV4 EV and why it's such a GREAT car.

I'm sure Toyota would be delighted with the free publicity......
:)

I think that is a fantastic idea. Maybe Dianne can put together this gathering?

Article at Inside EVs about Change.org petition on this subject.

http://insideevs.com/petitioning-toyota-build-electric-vehicles/

Sign the petition to have Toyota build EVs here.
https://www.change.org/p/toyota-motor-company-build-electric-cars

miimura said:
Article at Inside EVs about Change.org petition on this subject.

http://insideevs.com/petitioning-toyota-build-electric-vehicles/

email submitted to Toyota:

Knock Knock. Please build more battery powered electric vehicles. They should ALL have fast charge capability like a Leaf, 100 mile+ range, seat 4+ and have room for some cargo. The Rav4 EV is the best car I've ever owned (out of 14), and I would like to buy another. Too bad you don't make them anymore. I love my Prius too, but the next time I buy a new car it will be a BEV. EV charge stations are multiplying. With 150 mile range and fast charging I will probably never buy another gas car. Since Toyota doesn't listen to growing public demand they probably will not build any more BEVs. Therefore I will need to look elsewhere for my next car, my sons cars, my daughters cars, etc. The BEV fills 98% of my family's daily needs and charges free on the home solar system (covering the world more daily). I've only been to a gas station twice in the last 2 months for my Prius and GMC Yukon. If I ever pass a hydrogen station in the next 10 years, maybe I'll consider that an option, but why when my BEV is free to drive? Knock Knock Toyota, you did it 15 years ago with the Prius, do it now with a BEV! Oh well, there are lots of car makers out there. My last two new cars were Toyotas. My next four will probably be something else.

11/10 Response from Toyota:
Dear Mr. St. John,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your feedback regarding our battery electric powered vehicles and apologize that we have discontinued manufacturing of the RAV4 EV.

We make every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability.

We appreciate your feedback. It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of the reactions and expectations of our customers and consumers and are able to review and improve our products.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Leslie H.
Toyota Customer Experience

Interesting article on California CARB and how it impacts the auto industry and the future development of EVS and FCVs

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/auto-blog/are-hydrogen-cars-the-zero-emissions-future-17418995?%3Fsrc=rss

Cheers

james said:
Interesting article on California CARB and how it impacts the auto industry and the future development of EVS and FCVs

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/auto-blog/are-hydrogen-cars-the-zero-emissions-future-17418995?%3Fsrc=rss

Cheers
Interesting article. Thanks.

Incentive is fixed in favor of fuel cell vehicle. But still think ev is more consumer and environment friendly.

Looking back I wish I had grabbed one of the originals in 2002 or 2003 and then 2014 would have been a transition to the newest version.

Hopefully it will not take 10 years for the next version to be built.

If Toyota wanted to build EV's they would stop collecting Leased Gen 1 Rav's to crush, which is happening now, in late 2015. (see Rav4 EV Mailing List, linked below)
Toyota doesn't want the public to know what a great and reliable vehicle these have been, and how little, and this is key, how little owners have had to spend in maintenance and repairs in their years of Rav4 EV ownership.
The dealerships and Toyota know they will lose massive amounts of service income on well-made EV's.
It's about profit.

EV's vs FCV's
You can produce electricity to power your EV on your own house; it's a bit harder to produce hydrogen, at your house, for your fuel cell vehicle, which means you'll need to buy that hydrogen where exactly....perhaps a filling station? run by whom? oh, flashback time, we've been here before.
It's about energy, and profit from controlling the energy supply.

So, it would seem it is in Toyota's interest to limit the supply of vehicles that need little maintenance, and it is in the interests of energy companies to limit our access to vehicles for which we can produce motive power ourselves.

Profit, energy and control; there it is.

Rav4 EV Mailing List
https://pairlist5.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/rav4-ev

Back