RAV4 goes into B-mode by itself?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

setonseto

Newbie here. I just acquired the second to the last RAV4 EV on Dianne's lot and have some newbie question that I could find an answer to with Search.

A couple of times already, while driving in D mode, the car dropped itself into B mode without me touching the shifter. Is this normal?

While searching, it sounds like simply driving in B mode is an acceptable practice. That wasn't clear to me from reading the owners manual so thanks to this forum for that bit of information.

TIA

I drive in B mode whenever I don't need Cruise Control - you can only have one or the other at a given moment. In fact, I put it into B mode to cancel the Cruise, when I want the decel that goes along with B mode.

The car going into B mode without you touching the shifter is NOT normal.

Thanks for the input. I am going to make sure I am not inadvertently nudging the shifter to go into B mode.

So what does B mode do other than provide more breaking and more current to the battery? Is it really safe to use B mode at high speeds? I thought that B mode was just for long down hill use like shifting an ICE into 2nd gear on a down hill?

thanks

james said:
So what does B mode do other than provide more breaking and more current to the battery? Is it really safe to use B mode at high speeds? I thought that B mode was just for long down hill use like shifting an ICE into 2nd gear on a down hill?
You mean "braking", but yes, that is what it's intended for. As others have said it just enables higher regen when you let off of the accelerator, which can be nice at other times too. You can switch in and out at any speed.

The only possible negative to always being in B mode is that you may get unwanted regen when you really wanted to coast – in other words, you might inadvertently waste a little energy if you weren't intending to slow down.

Interesting..

So has anyone compared D mode versus B mode in regards to range? Coasting also provides current to the battery in D mode so I wonder where the benefit of using B mode would be most useful, other than just braking in a slower long down hill descent?

thanks

james said:
Interesting..

So has anyone compared D mode versus B mode in regards to range? Coasting also provides current to the battery in D mode so I wonder where the benefit of using B mode would be most useful, other than just braking in a slower long down hill descent?

thanks

There is no difference except it allows more power and more regen, range would only be increased if you stop shorter or use the stronger regen on hills that would be wasted to brake heat. The is no regen while "coasting" in D or B, if you are getting regen you are not coasting and not at the "neutral point" of the pedal position, there is always a neutral position with the foot, this is true on all EVs.

The neutral point where there is no torque exerted by the motor - positive (acceleration) or negative (regeneration) - is easy to find because of the green and purple bars on the gauge cluster. On the RAV4 EV you can also put it in Neutral and the back to Drive while in motion with no ill effects. If you want the absolute best efficiency down a slight slope, Neutral is the way to go.

Funny, I often find myself playing this game. where I live there are many hilly twisty roads so I find myself toggling between N-D-B to control speed in and out of turns and up and down hills seeing how far I can go without touching the accelerator. In the end gravity wins so back on the pedal :)

Funny I find an annoying hesitation toggling in to -N- while toggling between N-D-cruz control-B to control speed but at speed wen you push the -Park- button the car go into -N- not -P- this work on my 05 prius as well and allows me to do much of my driving without touching the accelerator or brakes. Look Mom no feet.

Back