Open Source CHAdeMO inlet for Rav4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not just a simple molded adapter. Everytime you connect a Model S to a Supercharger the car sends some kind of signal to the Supercharger network to tell the network that the Model S that is plugged in is in fact authorized to charge. I have read that its based on the vin of the car. All 85kwh cars come with free Supercharging but if you have a 60kwh car you had to pay $2500 to add the option.

In order to offer this to the public you would have to work out a deal with Tesla AND create the adapter. There may even be some kind of charging protocols that need to be accounted for.

Tony already has a lot on his plate. I am simply amazed he is able to work a full time job, research and build his fast charging add on, and respond to all the posts here and the countless other forums.

pchilds, take on the project of allowing us to charge at Supercharger stations and you will receive instant fame!

pchilds said:
Tony, couldn't someone make a deal with Tesla to build a Supercharger to CHAdeMO adapter. You buy the adapter and that pays the Supercharger lifetime fee. It could be done, just need someone with the right connections.

Yes, of course it can be done, and so can a spaceship to Mars ;-)

With an agreement with Tesla, of course. For the record, I have formally asked them.

Thanks for splitting the discussion of an open source CHAdeMO charger into its own thread. This one was meant for developing an open source inlet. Anyway, Herr Dr Bornstein's suggestion of an adapter to allow cars with the SAE Frankenplug to charge at CHAdeMO stations is interesting but I think quite challenging compared to an open source CHAdeMO inlet for the RAV4EV or any other EV. I explained why I thought this previously here:
ehelmholtz said:
....don't you think that a Frankenplug to CHAdeMO adapter would be more of a challenge since the charging protocols are different? For example for L2 charging, making a Tesla plug to J1772 adapter or cutting off the Tesla plug and putting on a J1772 is more doable since its the same protocol.
In fact, wouldn't it be easier to put a CHAdeMO port on a frankenplug car like the BMW i3, than actually making an adapter from SAE CCS to CHAdeMO? I imagine one way to implement CHAdeMO is to intercept the car's charging handshake signals and tell it that it's OK to charge and then send in direct current into the battery using a CHAdeMO port.
Tony responded on the LEAF forum here. I thought others might find it interesting. In the end, there doesn't seem to be anyone working actively on this project who's on any of the forums which is a shame because it'd be fun to do.

It seems half of the effort is decoding the CAN bus messages, so I would be interested in a collaborative effort to decode and document the messages. From there people can go off and develop an open source CHAdeMO interface or do other neat things to monitor, report, and interact with the battery, develop various smartphone applications, etc. Could you even monitor the battery temperature when the car is off and force the BMS to come on when it gets too hot? Seems like there is endless possibilities once you decode the interface.

yblaser said:
It seems half of the effort is decoding the CAN bus messages, so I would be interested in a collaborative effort to decode and document the messages. From there people can go off and develop an open source CHAdeMO interface or do other neat things to monitor, report, and interact with the battery, develop various smartphone applications, etc. Could you even monitor the battery temperature when the car is off and force the BMS to come on when it gets too hot? Seems like there is endless possibilities once you decode the interface.
I've been offline for a bit of time! I think you're spot on that understanding the CAN bus messages is key. In fact, the guys on the Orange County LEAF/EV club had been doing this including Garygid and others. I suspect that it's been slowed down a bit cos Gary got into Tesla decoding and another big contributor signed a contract to work with Tony Williams. You could get in touch with Gary on the LEAF forum or email at ggother99 at wwwsite.com

Back