Video featuring Li-ion cell used in Tesla battery packs

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsinned

Here's an interesting You-Tube video made by a guy in South Africa (I think?) about testing various types of batteries, also touching on balancing multi cell Li-ion battery packs. About half way through the video (~16:30), a blue colored "LC-18650" is displayed with the trade name "UltraFire". This is the little brother Li-ion cell used in our RAV4 EV Tesla battery pack, with slightly less capacity (3.7V @ 2400mAhrs; there is also a red color "UltraFire" rated at 3100mAhrs, which well might be the same as the "18650A" higher capacity cells used in our car batteries. Btw, "UltraFires" are being sold to consumers, which I have seen on Amazon.com).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XNdomfxa8I&list=TLdTYjP852ANA

UltraFire cells are not legitimate cells. I've tested a few and they never reach rated capacity. The Panasonic cells, used in our RAV4EVs, are quality cells which deliver what they say.

However, I've read on this forum that our vehicles use 2200 mAh cells. I'd like to know the source for this information.

I've seen reports of the pack being made up of 4500 cells with a nominal voltage of 386V.

Assuming 3.6V/cell nominal voltage, that's 107 cells in series. 4500/107 = 42 cells in parallel, so 107S42P configuration.

3.6V x 2.2Ah x 4500 only equals 35.6 kWh.

while 3.6V x 2.8Ah x 4500 equals 45.3 kWh. Limiting discharge to 41.8 kW leaves around ~8% reserve.

So if I had to guess, they are using the Panasonic 2.8Ah 18650 cells.

Marc

Actually, we had a forum discussion here about this a while back. None of us know for certain, but there is reason to believe the RAV4 EV Tesla battery pack uses 18650"A" cells made by Panasonic. This cell is nominally rated at 2950mA-hr and 3.6V. Thus, with 4500 cells in the pack (a count mentioned in some of Toyota's disclosures about the RAV4 EV), the full battery capacity by design is: 4500 x 3.6 x 2.95 = 47.79kW. However, the "typical" capacity of this cell in Panasonic's literature is specified at 3070mA-hr, which suggests our pack's maximum total capacity is right around 50kW. This is pure speculation of course, but a nice round number for bragging right nonetheless! :mrgreen:

Dsinned said:
Actually, we had a forum discussion here about this a while back. None of us know for certain, but there is reason to believe the RAV4 EV Tesla battery pack uses 18650"A" cells made by Panasonic

There is a video where a Toyota dude mentions that Tesla gave them the option of (presumably) the same exact 3100 cell used in the Model S-85, or a different one (presumably cheaper) which is more likely the 2950 version. The Roadster used the 2200, which is why I originally speculated that was in the current Rav4 (using Tesla's "trash").

I suspect that Toyota went with cheapest option.

This is the <a href="http://www.fifa14coinsale.co.uk/">Fast Fifa 14 PC Coins sale online</a> little sibling Li-ion mobile used in our RAV4 EV Nikola tesla battery package power, with a little bit less potential (3.7V @ 2400mAhrs; there is also a red shade "UltraFire" ranked at 3100mAhrs, which well might be the same as the "18650A" higher potential tissues used in our car battery package power.

Not sure if these pictures of an actual RAV pack have ever been posted here:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13121-Inside-the-Tesla-battery-pack

Back