Portable OpenEVSE at 40A

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pchilds said:
Where is the picture of the Model S, RAV4, Frito-Lay truck, parked on it? :p
I just learned how to secure my EVSE in the wild ;-) . Unfortunately, I'm not sure my driving skills are good enough.

pchilds said:

Both OpenEVSE enclosures (diecast alunimum and Poly) are in a strain lab. They will be tested to distruction with a fixture that simulates a tire at 10,000 and maybe 20,000 lbs. I will have a full report and photos in a couple days.

If you have a Frito-Lay truck, bring it over. I will let you run over an enclosure in exchange for a few bags of chips...

srl99 said:
pchilds said:
I just learned how to secure my EVSE in the wild ;-) . Unfortunately, I'm not sure my driving skills are good enough.

It was pretty easy driving up....but when coming down the enclosure launched 20 feet or so up the street. It survived that too with a few scratches on the bottom where it launched/slid...

chris1howell said:
Both OpenEVSE enclosures (diecast alunimum and Poly) are in a loads lab. They will be tested to destruction with a fixture that simulates a tire at 10,000 and maybe 20,000 lbs. I will have a full report and photos in a couple days.

If you have a Frito-Lay truck, bring it over. I will let you run over an enclosure in exchange for a few bags of chips...

Here are the results and carnage...

IMG_20141210_184614.jpg

JAPzdsQuLZ4hCj407sAQXBbfFZtx_VcUplvQiwZqd48=w318-h480-no

Poly Carbonate
Onset - 13808 lbs (first noise or deformation)
Peak load - 14234 lbs (squished into a pancake)

IMG_20141210_184249.jpg

Diecast Aluminum
Onset - 13961 lbs
Peak load - 16175 lbs (Exploded into many sharp fragments)

IMG_20141210_184429.jpg

chris1howell said:

Poly Carbonate

Diecast Aluminum
Onset - 13961 lbs

Awesome, and it looks like it was kinda fun. Thanks for crash testing your products.

chris1howell said:

Poly Carbonate

Diecast Aluminum
Onset - 13961 lbs
Thanks a lot for testing this out. Looks like the poly case is as strong as the aluminum case and I assume poly case is lighter in weight? It sure looks like it's going to be able to easily handle getting run over by most cars in a parking lot.

That's great news Chris! And thanks for bringing them down last week for us at the meet to check out and look at. I can't wait for the bigger box to hold the higher power stuff! :cool:

Jason

P.S. Thanks for the tips on the new API code! It works great! :D

TonyWilliams said:
srl99 said:
Where's the Tesla portable roll-over and crush test?

I have a failed Tesla UMC here, but I don't have access to the same "crush machine".

How about if I drive over it with a truck?

You might need a tank, there is so much plastic and resin in the UMC it may be tough to break... Too bad the electronics are not quite as robust...

chris1howell said:
You might need a tank, there is so much plastic and resin in the UMC it may be tough to break... Too bad the electronics are not quite as robust...
What kind of relay are they using in that small box ?
Just curious

fromport said:
chris1howell said:
What kind of relay are they using in that small box ? Just curious
The Tesla UMC (and thus, JESLA) uses a 30A Potter & Brumfield DPST running at 40A. This may be why the electronics are not so robust. Here's a photo from Ingineer:

pic

ehelmholtz said:
The Tesla UMC (and thus, JESLA) uses a 30A Potter & Brumfield DPST running at 40A. This may be why the electronics are not so robust.

That explains a lot size wise.

I was wondering how they would fit a relay the size of the ones used in JB/openevse in such a small unit.

Thanks a lot!

Using a "30A" relay in an L2 EVSE application capable of outputting up to 40 amps (which I assume would be most likely while charging a TMS) would overstress the contacts and possible cause the relay to MELT? Is there a nameplate rating on the UMC somewhere stating it has a maximum rating much less than 40A?

Dsinned said:
Using a "30A" relay in an L2 EVSE application capable of outputting up to 40 amps (which I assume would be most likely while charging a TMS) would overstress the contacts and possible cause the relay to MELT? Is there a nameplate rating on the UMC somewhere stating it has a maximum rating much less than 40A?

I seem to recall that the relay spec sheet said it could carry 40A. It just can not switch it. As long as there is no error the relay is fine.

GlennD said:
I seem to recall that the relay spec sheet said it could carry 40A. It just can not switch it. As long as there is no error the relay is fine.

According to http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/NG_DS_1308242_T92_1112-116623.pdf
you are right:

Rated voltage 277VAC
Max. switching voltage 600VAC
Rated current 30A NO; 3A NC
Limiting continuous current 40A NO; 3A NC
Limiting making current 40A NO; 3A NC
Limiting breaking current 40A NO; 3A NC

Exactly, it is a 40 amp relay that to has a 30 amp limitations, as stated. We haven't had any of the relays fail to my knowledge. The failures of any of the Tesla UMC's have been the wall plug and the components themselves, but as far as I know I've never had a relay fail.

Back