How many RAV4EVs are still available? 13 as of 7 Jan 2015

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lease on my 2012 Leaf is about to expire. (For my sanity, I'm glad. We signed the lease shortly before the big price drop on the Leaf so, while the car has been convenient, the amount of the lease payment grates on my nerves every month.) Nevertheless, we were planning to lease another Leaf (under much more favorable terms) until I test drove a RAV4 EV. Now, I can't decide.

We have twins who are 7 years old so we typically use our Honda Odyssey to cart them around, making the Leaf the spare car for the remaining driver. Anytime we take both kids in the Leaf they grumble about being crowded in the back seat. We're still using their car seats so two of them do take up a lot of room.

As a result of using the Leaf primarily as a spare car for short trips around town (we're in an East Bay suburb), in the 36-months we've had the Leaf, we only put 19K miles on it.

We're giving serious consideration to the RAV4 EV. It's a bit pricier (a zero down, $410/mo lease for 35 months - the first month lease payment, taxes, and fees are coming out of the $18K incentive) than the Leaf-SV lease we were offered (a zero down $295/mo for 35 months - the first month lease payment, taxes, fees, are coming out of the Leaf incentive), but I think the boys would find it more comfortable, especially since we're about to switch from their car seats to booster seats which will take up much less room, making us more apt to drive it rather than the minivan.

I just wanted to say that your forum has been informative and given us much food for thought. There seem to have been some serious issues and some headache issues with the RAV4 EV, but it also seems many of you are happy with your vehicles. I'm leaning towards the RAV4 EV (curiosity to try something different, roomier, a longer range than the Leaf), but my spouse is leaning towards another Leaf (lower price, the devil we know v. the devil we don't know).

Again, your forum has been very useful.

You didn't say where you are located. My family could have gotten by with any EV as a "second car" as you said you have been using your Leaf. However, I wanted the ability to use the EV for all our weekend driving around the places we usually go in the SF Bay Area. The RAV4 EV is that car for us. Our old gas car is definitely the "second car" and always gets left at home when we go out as a family. I have only left the RAV at home once in 18 months due to range ability - and that was a week long vacation to San Diego this past summer when we took our dog. If we didn't want to take the dog we would have flown down. My wife and I already decided that we don't need a gas car, we just don't want to take on another car payment right now.

So, I would encourage you to get the RAV and minimize your use of the minivan and its gas consumption.

miimura said:
You didn't say where you are located. My family could have gotten by with any EV as a "second car" as you said you have been using your Leaf. However, I wanted the ability to use the EV for all our weekend driving around the places we usually go in the SF Bay Area. The RAV4 EV is that car for us. Our old gas car is definitely the "second car" and always gets left at home when we go out as a family. I have only left the RAV at home once in 18 months due to range ability - and that was a week long vacation to San Diego this past summer when we took our dog. If we didn't want to take the dog we would have flown down. My wife and I already decided that we don't need a gas car, we just don't want to take on another car payment right now.

So, I would encourage you to get the RAV and minimize your use of the minivan and its gas consumption.

Thanks for the info! We are in the East Bay - Walnut Creek. I'm thinking the roominess of the RAV4 would allow us to use it much more than we did the Leaf.

I had two Nissan LEAF's with two kids. The RAV4 is easily the better choice, just from the kid perspective.

Not worrying about range all the time is a huge plus. More room, more power, more acceleration, Tesla engineering and pedigree, et al, is easily worth $130 per month.

In three years, there won't be another RAV4 EV, but perhaps Toyota can sell you that hydrogen car they've been telling us is the answer to those bad EV's.

ElectraDaddy said:
Thanks for the info! We are in the East Bay - Walnut Creek. I'm thinking the roominess of the RAV4 would allow us to use it much more than we did the Leaf.
Just for another anecdote, last weekend my GIS class was participating in a field study of the LA river that involved about 120 miles of driving across the region. I volunteered to drive one of the carpools in the RAV. Despite spending the day with 4 adults in the RAV4 (two of which were also football players), plus data collection gear and other misc supplies in the trunk, and warm temperatures, everyone was very comfortable and we made it back with plenty of range to spare. I wouldn't have attempted that in my old LEAF even if range weren't an issue, and if I borrowed my dad's Volt we would've been stuffed in the car like sardines in a can.

I've also transported my 80 year old grandparents, my dad, my girlfriend, and myself all in the RAV4 across town at rush hour and everyone was pretty happy. Before I got the RAV we would take two cars (LEAF and Volt or Focus) to do such trips. Rear seat leg room in the RAV4 is superb, which really helps.

Pulled the trigger and leased a RAV4 EV (#3297) this afternoon. $412.33 + tax for 35 months with $0 down at drive-off. Mileage allowed is 36K.

Congrats. Good choice! Our two kids 9,12, love the roominess and reclineable back seats of the RavEV. We love the easy 110 miles std charge range (135 full charge). However I gotta say, the LEAF is a noticeably smoother and quieter ride. Driving the LEAF is driving electric. The Rav feels like a regular small suv for what it is, much more utility, and the EV of choice during the weekend outings now.

Hi all,
As of December 6, 2014.
Here is a list of dealerships in northern California. The accuracy is "as good as it gets" as it appears in each dealership's public information. Obviously, one should use it with a grain of salt.

Northern California: (41)
1. Palo Alto: 2 Silver, 5 Pearl, 1 Blue
2. Davis: 3 Silver, 3 Pearl, 2 Unknown
3. Oakland: 2 Silver, 1 Pearl
4. San Francisco: 4 Silver
5. Walnut Creek: 5 Pearl
6. Berkeley: 1 Silver
7. Folsom: 2 Silver
8. Redwood City: 2 Silver
9. Auburn: 1 Pearl
10. Richmond 3 Silver, 1 Unknown
11. Roseville 2 Silver
12. Milpitas 1 Pearl

Note: Gone from the list are Daly City, Freemont and Hayward. New on the list are Roseville and Milpitas
After 11 days since the last post, 18 RAV4EVs were sold, but 3 more was found. So the total of 41 available RAV4EVs may be slightly less at the end of today and as time goes on. YOMV. Enjoy!

I physically saw a white one at http://www.toyotapaloalto.com/ Saturday and Sunday as I was helping a friend car shop. I asked if that's the last one they had and they said yes.

Is there a list of updated SoCal site? I know 2 people that want them now.

Funny how that works now that they have ended and I've been telling them since I got mine from Diane in Jan :roll:

JasonA said:
Is there a list of updated SoCal site? I know 2 people that want them now.

Funny how that works now that they have ended and I've been telling them since I got mine from Diane in Jan :roll:
The full list is above. Time for a road trip before they are GONE.

we tried to buy a new RAV4ev and could not find a CA Dealer interested in selling new one to us (out of state) and of course not eligible for the toyotathon pricing...but did find a car that was certified/used x 1m (dont know why it was turned in - and dont care- got a great deal)..... and are very happy with the car after 1k miles after having it shipped to Ohio....there is an affordable $30k EV!

any out of staters who have suggestions about servicing the car - would appreciate your comments - our local/largest Toyota dealer has told me 'no problem' three times - unless its the battery....we took the chance.

second EV - first is a Model S and the Toyota runs just as well....surprised at some of the differences but love the drive/power and greenness!

drdoug said:
we tried to buy a new RAV4ev and could not find a CA Dealer interested in selling new one to us (out of state) and of course not eligible for the toyotathon pricing...but did find a car that was certified/used x 1m (dont know why it was turned in - and dont care- got a great deal)..... and are very happy with the car after 1k miles after having it shipped to Ohio....there is an affordable $30k EV!

any out of staters who have suggestions about servicing the car - would appreciate your comments - our local/largest Toyota dealer has told me 'no problem' three times - unless its the battery....we took the chance.

second EV - first is a Model S and the Toyota runs just as well....surprised at some of the differences but love the drive/power and greenness!

Numerous posts exist about all these issues:

1) common dealer scam is to sell you a "used" car with almost no miles on it... they take $10,000 in tax credits, plus whatever Toyota gave them. It could have been a dealer demo, or a customer "unwind" (credit issue, major issue with car, sales lied about something like, sure, it can go 100 miles and then the gas motor kicks in").

Sales people will generally say anything to complete the sale:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8134#p8134

Unprepared Buyer, "Will this car qualify for the $7500 / $2500 tax incentives?"

Unscrupulous Seller, "I'm sure it will, why not?"

UB, "But doesn't the car need to be new?"

US, "Oh, I wouldn't worry about that now. You have to apply for that after the sale. Just sign here and I'll help you figure it out later."

UB, "Well, there's a guy on the internet who spends a lot of his time warning people of dealers like you. I don't think I'm comfortable buying this car without knowing for sure if I get the tax incentives."

US, "Ya, that guy... we know him... I think he used to work here as a salesman and we had to fire him because of all the bad "advice" he was giving people. I would never lie to you like "that guy" does, so just go ahead and sign here, mmmm, k?"

UB, "Oh, thank you for looking out for me. I'll take the $2000 extended warranty and $1200 water pump / muffler bearing insurance, plus the $3900 paint sealant, fabric protection, and car alarm package. Heck, since I'm getting a total of $10,000 in tax incentives, I can even afford the $2900 radio with 8-track tape option. You're such a good salesman."

US, "Yes, I am."

One month later:

UB, "You lied to me... used cars don't qualify for any of the tax incentives. I want my money back."

US, "We can't do that, since California law has no "cooling off" period for car sales, but we can give you lifetime free oil changes for your car."

UB, "You idiot, my car doesn't use oil."

US, "I'm pretty sure it does. It's right next to the muffler bearing. You bought the insurance to cover the muffler bearing, remember?"

UB, "I'm going to sue!"

US, "Sure you will... like everybody else! No matter what, I'll still have made my commission, the weekend sales "spiff" and plus I earned a trip to Fiji thanks to your car sale. Gotta go pack, I'm leaving in the morning, bye!"

UB, "You bastard."

SIX MONTHS LATER:

Court Bailiff, "All rise, the Honorable Judge Kermit I. Frog presiding."

Kermit, "I find for the dealership, who gave me this beautiful new car with lifetime oil changes. Wow, what a car!!!"

Court Bailiff, "Uh, judge, I think you're supposed to actually make it look like you carefully considered all the plaintiff's arguments prior to issuing your predetermined verdict."

Kermit, "Sorry, uh, Mr. Unsuspecting Buyer, if that is your real name, why have you wasted the court's time with your frivolous claim?"

UB, "The dealer told me I could get $10,000 in tax incentives if I bought this car."

US, "No I didn't, your honor. Like we discussed in your private chamber earlier, where we delivered your new car, I only told Mr. Buyer that I would look into it. What idiot buys a car based on what a salesman says?"

Kermit, "I've heard enough. I hereby sentence Mr. Buyer to 3 years hard labor in San Quentin State Prison."

Court Bailiff, "Uh, judge, this is civil court, not criminal."

Kermit, "Ok, then, I find that Mr. Buyer is an idiot and is hereby ordered to pay all his lawyer's fees, plus all the court costs, plus the car dealership lawyer's fees, plus a beautiful new diamond necklace for Miss Piggy."

Court Bailiff, "All rise, court adjourned."

2) an entire thread is devoted to "out of state":

OUT OF STATE SERVICE AND WARRANTY CLAIMS

Just know that an out-of-state dealer may be willing to service your Rav4 EV, but Toyota USA may not pay them for warranty claim reimbursements and the service payments for Toyota Care. Kevin Spillane, Toyota Customer rep for the Rav4EV, has this to say about out-of-state servicing:

1) Toyota Customer Care - the normal 5000 mile interval checkups. Not covered outside of California authorized dealers. Expect any out-of-state-dealer who performs a routine service to your car to be denied payment by Toyota for "Toyota Care". No matter what your out-of-state dealer tells you, it won't be covered under "Toyota Customer Care"

2) Tesla drivetrain problems - Not covered outside of California authorized dealers.

3) Non-EV problems but specific to Rav4 EV - like a failed heater on a "case by case basis" (that means that they can jerk you around if they feel like it). They have an authorized field engineer coming to a local dealer to perform the work. It has nothing to do with the dealer themselves, it's just a place to work on the car.

4) Rav4 issues shared with the oil burning version - covered.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3993#p3993

wow - thanks Tony - quite the regurg of the info on the site - we did our research - we went into this knowing the service issues and support challenges

we felt well informed and cared for by the dealership - they took $20k off the new car price and (if they were trying to scam us they are welcome to the tax credit and rebates, but I think we got a great deal!)

eyes wide open - we understood the support issues - but wanted another EV and felt this was a great option - and great car

one way to send the message to Toyota that EVs are wanted are to show them that people are making an effort - for a good product.....

appreciate all the info on the site - hope to add some from our expreiences as well.

Back