Body Work Precautions on the RAV4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swogee

Our RAV4 EV was involved in a minor fender bender back in July that damaged the left front fender and the front bumper cover. Basically the other driver hit our RAV4 on the left front corner while it was parked.

I seem to recall reading someplace that the traction battery can be damaged by the heat used in the paint booth. I think the Nissan Leaf body work guidelines recommend removal of the battery if vehicle will be exposed to temps above 140 degrees F.

I sent an e-mail to the body shop to try and find out if the RAV4 will be exposed to temps 140 degrees or above in the repair process.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome on what precautions to take at the body shop would be welcome.

well i'd certainly ask if the car is going to be "baked".

However i had the right rear door replaced and the right rear fender painted without any issues. The car wasnt put in a whole-car heated painted booth at this shop. (I think those are only used when doing the entire car rather than a small area).

But it doesnt hurt to ask. (the same precaution should be used on any car that contains a battery btw).

Thanks for the replies.

I told the body shop to avoid baking the RAV4 so they are going to let it air dry instead.

I also sent an e-mail to Toyota to see what they would say and here's the response:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We are sorry to learn that the front fender and bumper on your 2014 RAV4 EV needs to be repaired.

Based on the information we have available, the fender and bumper can be placed in the paint booth prior to being affixed to your RAV4 EV.

Typically, an entire vehicle is not placed in the paint booth due to all the plastic pieces that are on them.

The RAV4 EV can be placed in the paint booth when the temperature is under 140 degrees Fahrenheit. We are currently researching on the duration and will follow up with you before the end of business December 17, 2014.

swogee said:
Thanks for the replies.

I told the body shop to avoid baking the RAV4 so they are going to let it air dry instead.

I also sent an e-mail to Toyota to see what they would say and here's the response:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We are sorry to learn that the front fender and bumper on your 2014 RAV4 EV needs to be repaired.

Based on the information we have available, the fender and bumper can be placed in the paint booth prior to being affixed to your RAV4 EV.

Typically, an entire vehicle is not placed in the paint booth due to all the plastic pieces that are on them.

The RAV4 EV can be placed in the paint booth when the temperature is under 140 degrees Fahrenheit. We are currently researching on the duration and will follow up with you before the end of business December 17, 2014.

Did you ever receive a follow up from toyota? I'm now in a similar situation. After 68 days in service for a drive unit replacement I had the car for 1 day and someone hit my parked rav.

Toyota was unable to provide me with any more info on the allowed duration in the paint booth.

Here is the actual e-mail response:

Dear Mr. Gee,

We appreciate your patience while we were researching the paint booth for your RAV4 EV.

We regret that we have been unable to ascertain how long it should be placed in the paint booth.

Sincerely,

Kym W.
Toyota Customer Experience

I told the body shop to just let the paint air dry to avoid any heat and that's what they did.

Back