RANT: Received "Backordered" Announcement for CAV Decals

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49erRAV

I've been patiently waiting for DMV to send my white decals as the dealer I leased my Rav from didn't order them ahead of time. I was ecstatic to hear they were finally processed last week (had been 3 weeks). I just received an envelope in the mail with an updated registration card showing the $8 they received/cashed but instead of my white stickers there is a flyer about GREEN Clean Air Vehicle Decals being Backordered until Jan 2015. I plan on calling the DMV first thing tomorrow morning but wanted to see if anyone else ran into this issue.

<end rant>

Thanks in advance!

The Green stickers are for Plug-in Hybrids. A RAV4 EV should get white stickers. The green stickers ARE out until a new allocation next year.

49erRAV said:
I've been patiently waiting for DMV to send my white decals as the dealer I leased my Rav from didn't order them ahead of time. I was ecstatic to hear they were finally processed last week (had been 3 weeks). I just received an envelope in the mail with an updated registration card showing the $8 they received/cashed but instead of my white stickers there is a flyer about GREEN Clean Air Vehicle Decals being Backordered until Jan 2015. I plan on calling the DMV first thing tomorrow morning but wanted to see if anyone else ran into this issue.

<end rant>

Thanks in advance!

Hence my frustration! Some bonehead at DMV thought I should get green stickers instead! Ugh!

srl99 said:
The Green stickers are for Plug-in Hybrids. A RAV4 EV should get white stickers. The green stickers ARE out until a new allocation next year.

49erRAV said:

<end rant>

Thanks in advance!

While I haven't seen anyone post about this particular situation, in the past issues with the DMV issuing white stickers have been a result of the dealership marking the wrong motive power for the car (e.g. gas vs bev) on the registration.

yblaser said:
While I haven't seen anyone post about this particular situation, in the past issues with the DMV issuing white stickers have been a result of the dealership marking the wrong motive power for the car (e.g. gas vs bev) on the registration.

Thanks Peter, that's the first the I checked as I read something on the Nissan Leaf forums about that happening. Low and behold, it's correctly marked as "E" or electric...

Call them, it must have been quite an office party.

49erRAV said:
Hence my frustration! Some bonehead at DMV thought I should get green stickers instead! Ugh!

srl99 said:

49erRAV said:

<end rant>

Thanks in advance!

What is the typical wait time for the white CAV sticker anyway? I leased my RAV4 EV in early Nov 2014 and its been two months and I am still waiting on the sticker. Is this a normal wait time?

We leased our 2014 Rav4EV in mid-October and ordered the white decals in mid-November. They arrived in about 3 weeks. We used the online form from the DMV website, which we mailed in with our check. Good Luck!

setonseto said:
What is the typical wait time for the white CAV sticker anyway? I leased my RAV4 EV in early Nov 2014 and its been two months and I am still waiting on the sticker. Is this a normal wait time?
I think it took 2~3 weeks for me from applying for the sticker to get it in the mail.

49erRAV said:
yblaser said:

Thanks Peter, that's the first the I checked as I read something on the Nissan Leaf forums about that happening. Low and behold, it's correctly marked as "E" or electric...

Be glad for that! Dmv has this marked wrong for me.. Been 2 years fighting with them and still can't get it fixed. Lol.

IF YOUR CAR IS DELIVERED WITH A REGISTRATION FOR AN OIL BURNING CAR INSTEAD OF AN ELECTRIC CAR:

Make sure your dealership ticked the correct box for "motive power" on the registration. If they incorrectly entered "gas", you'll need to get it corrected. In California, the DMV requests that the dealership complete Sections G & H of form "Reg 256". For section G, the sample response given was:

"Due to a clerical error on the Report of Sale, the motive power was entered as "gas (G)", when the actual motive power for this vehicle is "100% electric (E)". Please correct. No fraud intended."

The dealer then signs and dates Section H.

TonyWilliams said:
IF YOUR CAR IS DELIVERED WITH A REGISTRATION FOR AN OIL BURNING CAR INSTEAD OF AN ELECTRIC CAR:

Make sure your dealership ticked the correct box for "motive power" on the registration. If they incorrectly entered "gas", you'll need to get it corrected. In California, the DMV requests that the dealership complete Sections G & H of form "Reg 256". For section G, the sample response given was:

"Due to a clerical error on the Report of Sale, the motive power was entered as "gas (G)", when the actual motive power for this vehicle is "100% electric (E)". Please correct. No fraud intended."

The dealer then signs and dates Section H.

Yup that's what I saw on the forms. Unfortunately it didn't work & dmv can't seem to find their way around their processes to fix it. Still waiting.

I suspect will likely have to file a small lawsuit or something eventually to get the attention of someone in a position to fix it. Time will tell I guess.

TonyWilliams said:
... My desire for them to figure it out is low... very low.

I'm with you on that, and actually don't care too much about the stickers - hardly need the HOV where I am in San Diego. Bigger concern is if, in a few years, I'll start getting smog inspection notices since they think its gas!

If they can't figure out something as simple as how to correct this simple administrative issue, I can only imagine the sparks that will fly when they try to smog an engineless car "but it says there's an engine. Don't see an engine. But it says there's an engine. Don't see an engine (infinite loop)".

I just leased a Mercedes B Class. The dealer put hybrid in the registration and I made him change it to electric. You are right, you really need to pay attention!

Back