Leaving for vacations

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leorav4

Perhaps this question has been already answered, so maybe someone can simply direct me to that post.
I will be leaving for vacations for ~ 2 weeks.

What is the best option for my RAV4 EV w.r.t. charge:

- Leave disconnected from charger (full, 50% full, doesn't matter?).
- Leave connected to charger and program to be charged daily, once per 2 days, 3 days,...
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

leorav4 said:
Perhaps this question has been already answered, so maybe someone can simply direct me to that post.

What is the best option for my RAV4 EV w.r.t. charge:

- Leave disconnected from charger (full, 50% full, doesn't matter?).
- Leave connected to charger and program to be charged daily, once per 2 days, 3 days,...
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

1) best plan - charge to 50%, leave unplugged, put 12 volt battery on a trickle charge / battery tender.

That's it.

2) Second best plan - charge to "Normal" (about 82-90%, depending on degradation) and leave it plugged it. Put 12 volt on a trickle charge.

leorav4 said:
I've left my Rav4 EV undriven and unplugged for 3 weeks without incident. I left it with about a 50% charge on the main battery and didn't bother with a trickle charger for the 12V battery.

If you have to leave it parked for more than 2 weeks without access to an outlet for 12V battery maintainer, you could remotely start a Pre-Climate once a week. That will wake up the car sufficiently to charge the 12V battery from the main pack for the duration of the climate event (15 minutes).

miimura said:
If you have to leave it parked for more than 2 weeks without access to an outlet for 12V battery maintainer, you could remotely start a Pre-Climate once a week. That will wake up the car sufficiently to charge the 12V battery from the main pack for the duration of the climate event (15 minutes).
This is really the best way. No cables, no muss,no fuss. Just charge 2 to 3 bars above the middle/dead half way/level mark and set the climate up.

But again, Pb/lead acid isn't really going to die on you in a week or 2. Have a good vac!

miimura said:

I guess I wouldn't count on the remote access / climate timers.

But, a good idea.

left for 3 weeks, car in driveway not plugged in to anything, charged abut 70%

just fine when i got home.

Back