How many RAV4EVs are still available? 13 as of 7 Jan 2015

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoosier said:
I just checked the Toyota website. The lease deal is gone! The only deals available on the Rav4 Ev is 90 days no payments.

I think this is the time of the party when we start folding the chairs and turning out the lights. Toyota, we hope the fool cell game only goes 5 years, instead of 10-20.

Hi all,
Happy New Year.
As of January 7, 2015.
Here is a list of dealerships in northern California, nada in southern California. The accuracy is "as good as it gets" as it appears in each dealership's public information. Obviously, one should use it with a grain of salt.

Northern California: (13)
1. Palo Alto: 1 Silver, 1 Pearl
2. Davis: 1 Silver, 1 Pearl, 1 Unknown
3. Oakland: 1 Silver
4. Walnut Creek: 2 Pearl
5. Folsom: 2 Silver
6. Redwood City: 1 Silver
7. Richmond 1 Unknown
8. Roseville 1 Silver

Note: Gone from the list is Berkeley. Few cars shown up on autotrader.com are from Frank Toyota in National City (but nothing on its website, go figure)
After 18 days since the last post, 14 RAV4EVs were sold. So the total of 13 available RAV4EVs may be slightly less at the end of today and as time goes on. YOMV. Happy Hunting!

Does anyone know what the CARB credit situation is for these holdovers? I'm thinking that Toyota no longer has a big incentive to see these sold, and there will be no lease deal to help them move.

davewill said:
Does anyone know what the CARB credit situation is for these holdovers? I'm thinking that Toyota no longer has a big incentive to see these sold, and there will be no lease deal to help them move.

Same credit... 3 each for model year 2014.

They can sell them either one or two years after the model year to still get the credit.

TonyWilliams said:
I think this is the time of the party when we start folding the chairs and turning out the lights. Toyota, we hope the fool cell game only goes 5 years, instead of 10-20.

Well.. it was fun while it lasted. I was tempted to get in before the incentives closed, but with the KIA being available for far less, combined with Toyota's arrogance (or your own adjective here), I'll be patient and let the LEAF come off lease and then make a decision as to my next EV. I'll let Tony blow out the last candle...
Marc

My beautiful RAV4 EV 2014 was involved in a head on collision. It protected me except for broken hand so I had to look into the used market. The good news is there are a ton of them coming early off lease after people have exhausted tax credits and decided range issues were a problem. Buyer beware that the battery was not abused. My test is to drop the battery to about 15 miles and measure how much it will take to refill. I bought a 2014 first leased in 7/14. 14k miles...$35k from Carmax with a 5 day return policy so I could check battery. My Juicebox gives me exact numbers on KWHrs. I showed 40.7 KWHrs with 17 miles left when I started so I figure that was about 5-6 KWHrs at the start and I did extended charge. I suspect 2-3KWHrs went to battery heating as the night was cold. 48F

Anyone have any comments? Like my test?

laguna_b said:
My beautiful RAV4 EV 2014 was involved in a head on collision. It protected me except for broken hand so I had to look into the used market. The good news is there are a ton of them coming early off lease after people have exhausted tax credits and decided range issues were a problem. Buyer beware that the battery was not abused. My test is to drop the battery to about 15 miles and measure how much it will take to refill. I bought a 2014 first leased in 7/14. 14k miles...$35k from Carmax with a 5 day return policy so I could check battery. My Juicebox gives me exact numbers on KWHrs. I showed 40.7 KWHrs with 17 miles left when I started so I figure that was about 5-6 KWHrs at the start and I did extended charge. I suspect 2-3KWHrs went to battery heating as the night was cold. 48F

Anyone have any comments? Like my test?

My 2014 was also sold to an insurance "total" owner. I still have my 2012 available.

The JuiceBox meter is known to be inaccurate by a fair margin. I would not use it for this type of test.

I seriously doubt your 2014 car would have much degradation at all, and it's a bit difficult to "abuse" the battery. In other words, if the battery is operating as designed, it's fine.

A new condition battery should take 50kWh to fill from depleted at room temperature with a 30 amp charge rate (yes, I measured it).

RAV4 EV battery degradation test

Make sure that the battery is at room temperature, then:

1) Fully charge vehicle (extended) with the J1772 port (not CHAdeMO)
2) Battery must be near room temperature
3) Turn off cabin climate control with "OFF" button
4) Disconnect the 12 volt battery negative cables and leave off for several hours minimum (overnight is ideal)

Next day:

5) Reconnect 12 volt battery
6) Hold foot on brake and press START button with key fob nearby
7) Energy gauge will show Full (16 illuminated segments) and "LO" on the GOM
8) Wait for navigation unit to complete its start up
9) Press START with brake pedal depressed a second time
10) The displayed range is "RATED RANGE" at 3.5 miles per kWh

11) Divide this Rated Range by 146 to get usable battery capacity compared to new.

Example: 142 rated range / 146 = 97.2% battery capacity from new

If you drive the RAV4 EV at my standard test speed of 100km / 62mph ground speed, it will go almost EXACTLY the rated range.

TEST DRIVING PROTOCOL - dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F, no elevation changes, "out-and-back" or loop course to compensate for any wind, 62mph / 100km/h GROUND speed as measured by GPS.

So, if the car is new, it will bang out 146 miles and the rated range will be 146 under the prescribed conditions.

If the rated range is 135, it will go 135.

Back