Member Introduction

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheck said:
Just had my 2013 Blizzard Pearl Rav4 EV #2073 delivered to my home in Orlando on August 5, 2013. I leased it from Dianne at Carson Toyota in CA. Flew in for the day to LA on July 30th, rented an ICE from MIDWAY Car Rental, which by the way was a very nice experience, then off to see Dianne. I got it shipped to Orlando, door to door for $945.
P

Congrats!
I thought you had to have a CA address to lease one of these. No complications leasing to an out-of-stater?

Kohler Controller said:
Sheck said:
Just had my 2013 Blizzard Pearl Rav4 EV #2073 delivered to my home in Orlando On August 5, 2013. I leased it from Dianne at Carson Toyota in CA. Flew in for the day to LA on July 30th, rented an ICE from MIDWAY Car Rental, which by the way was a very nice experience, then off to see Dianne. I got it shipped to Orlando, door to door for $945.
P

Congrats!
I thought you had to have a CA address to lease one of these. No complications leasing to an out-of-stater?

The crack down from Toyota started Oct 1, 2013.

Graphicsgirl said:
Just closed the deal and car is being shipped this weekend to Illinois. Excited and terrified at the same time. We love the idea of this car, I just hope that it works for us.

Congrats!!! What is your typical and atypical uses for the car? If you're driving less than 100 miles per day in relatively flat Illinois, even cold weather and heater use should be OK.

What city are you based in so we can see what public charging options you have on http://www.PlugShare.com.

Kohler Controller said:

I know this should be obvious, but if you bought new, don't get a felony fraud conviction for applying for the California $2500 rebate when you don't qualify as an out-of-state resident. Obviously, you couldn't lease out-of-state without committing fraud, so I know you didn't do that.

If a dealer knowingly leased or sold a new car to you out-of-state, they would be in BIG trouble. Toyota USA could get into a fraud situation with CARB when the report the sale as in-state for Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) compliance, WHICH IS THE ONLY REASON THEY PRODUCED THE CAR.

But, the $7500 federal tax credit works everywhere in the USA.

If you bought used, none of the above would apply.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf
Internal Revenue Service ... Use this form to claim the credit for certain plug-in electric vehicles. .... For tax years beginning after 2008, use Form 8936.

Wow, I just found this thread thanks to the recent posts. I guess I'll share some personal info too.

My Name is Dave, 50 (for another month), cancer survivor (stage 4 lymphoma), married 25 years, daughter 15 - Girl Scout Silver Award, and son 17 (for another month) - Eagle Scout, oh yeah and the rescue dog named Lucky; live in Santee CA for 20 years, born & raised in San Diego. Lived in El Centro 3+ years when I worked in Mexicali. Learned to fly in Calexico from a retired Border Patrol agent.

Manufacturing Engineer - Aerospace, Industrial Electrician, Machinist, carpenter, cabinetmaker,...
Private Pilot - Instrument Airplane, high performamance
Avid snow skier, boating: competition water skier (formerly), bicycle riding (commute), occasional SCUBA
Boy Scouts of America volunteer, regular camping, backpacking, hiking

I was always shy and never said a word until I was 20 something. Since then, I rarely keep my mouth shut. It's my primary flaw.

I used to be a motor head (Mopar), and I guess I still am but as a married father I've become much too practical:
Cars: 2005 Yukon XL 4WD; 2011 Prius; 2002 Chevy S-10; 2014 Rav4EV - the closest thing to muscle car performance for many years.
Boats: Ski Brendella shortline (19-1/2' 350 Chevy inboard); Hurricane 224R 150HP Yamaha outboard (Fishers Landing, AZ)

My daughter, who will start driving next month (shoot!) has always loved and wants the Prius. Then I got the Rav4. Now she and I both want to get a second one.

Solar Power: I installed my own solar system in 2001. I think I was the 3rd person in our town. The city issued a permit as a solar water heater because they didn't know what to do with solar electric yet, though they still reviewed / approved the plans, inspected, etc. Originally 4.4kW DC with dual XantrexTrace inverters. The Inverters died in 2009 and I went to Sunnyboy - an excellent move. My system is so old I'm pretty sure I have 120 watt panels (AstroPower - no longer in business but a great solar panel). in 2010 I found some additional Astropower panels on Craigslist (140 watt?), another Sunnyboy on Ebay and I doubled the size of my system. I've been over producing since then. It's not very good for teaching my kids to conserve energy. My thermostat is on auto 365 days a year. A/C is always running. Some days the heat comes on at night and the A/C runs during the day. But I did put additional insulation in my attic last month and I have a bunch of LED lights and dual pane windows.

I have ALWAYS wanted an electric car since I went Solar. Once in a while I would search for options but the Leaf (underpowerd, not visially appealing to me, range anxiety) and Volt (reasonable appearance EV with on-board generator, way overpriced - you can buy a simlar ICE for 20k and A LOT of gas with the remaining 20K), Prius plug-in (expensive and still a hybrid, not pure EV), etc. None of these were it. Last August I repeated my browsing and came across the Rav4 EV online. Never heard of it. The more I read, I knew it was the perfect EV...oh, except the price tag. Not unreasonable for this car, but out of my practical range for a car I don't even need. Then I got on this forum and joined the facebook group. The more I learned, especially the lease deal, I knew that this was it and now was the time. Within a week I was driving one (thanks to the forum for leading me to Dianne). So now I have 4 cars, the Yukon rarely moves except for trips to the Co River north of Yuma and Boy Scout camping trips. My son drives the pickup and my wife drives the Prius. The Rav4 EV is my favorite car EVER (EV Grin).

EVSE - I used a Jesla for the first two weeks (Thanks Dianne) of ownership while I ordered and built my OpenEVSE 40 amp charger. The Jesla is a great product (Thanks Tony) and I would like to have one (looking forward to Jdemo). I just joined a pilot program through Electric Motor Werks and Ohmconnect which will yield a nearly free 40+ amp Juicebox. I've only public charged one time, and it taught me that I need a lock for the J1772.

So with all the Rav4EVs in the SD area, how come I've only seen one other in the wild? Where is everyone? I look forward to a relatively local gathering someday.

Like I said, I talk a lot. Cheers to all.

dstjohn99 said:
So with all the Rav4EVs in the SD area, how come I've only seen one other in the wild? Where is everyone? I look forward to a relatively local gathering someday.

Like I said, I talk a lot. Cheers to all.

Great write up.

We have meetings all the time!! Dianne has one planned for next weekend up in Los Gatos, and sometime in the next month or two down in SoCal (I hope it's one meeting in Orange County instead of two).

Plus, we have a breakfast every other Saturday morning in Orange County. The next one is Oct 11.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=289#p289

Saturday Oct 11, 2014 - 8 am-ish for breakfast at Home Town Buffet in Cerritos, CA off South Street near the 605. This is an all-EV group that started out as a Leaf group, but now has a pretty eclectic group of Leafs, RAVs and Teslas, with a few others occasionally. Some days we have a lot of RAVs. All are welcome.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17823&start=20

My name is Anson and wife's name is Margaret and we live in the San Fernando Valley. We wanted to thank everyone on the forum for infecting us with your passion for this great car and sharing all aspect of your Rav4EV ownership. We finally got our delivery of our Blizzard Pearl Rav4EV today. We are so happy... Margaret is especially happy as she'll be the one taking it to work everyday.

Back in August, We were not really looking to buy a car when we come across the Rav4EV for the first time by accident. The test drive was fun, but since unlike most of you we've never owned anything other than an ICE vehicle, we didn't think we would actually get one that doesn't burn gasoline. Nevertheless, we got curious and started reading about the good and bad and the complicated love/hate history of this vehicle. When we found this forum and started to read about crazy issues such as engine stopped in the middle of the freeway, and annoyances such as unreliable scheduled charging, how it's not loved by Toyota...etc., we found it incredible that 'every Rav4EV owner on this forum' loved their Rav4EV almost "unconditionally". Your passion infected us to decide to want one for ourselves a little over a week ago.

I especially want to thank Dianne. We've always purchased vehicles in the past and have never leased one, but we feel assured as everyone says Dianne's deal is golden and she'll take good care of you. So with Dianne's guidance and validation of a great deal to take, we finally leased our very first EV and drove it home tonight for the first time.

As most of your know, we still got a lot to learn to care for and enjoy this vehicle, so we'll be doing lots of reading and probably ask a lot of foolish questions in the next few weeks. Your advise is always most appreciated.

It feels great to be part of the Rav4EV family!

Rav4EVoom said:
My name is Anson and wife's name is Margaret and we live in the San Fernando Valley...

Welcome aboard. Yes, the love / hate is strong amongst owners, but for Toyota, I don't think there was ever any love. One Toyota official suggests that you are now driving the "last mile solution". After seeing how poorly a car company could build an EV (Toyota built the Scion iQ EV with 38 mile EPA range), Toyota's dismissal of EV's is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Remember, that if not for California Air Resources Board (CARB) and Tesla, this car would not exist.

Again, welcome to our exclusive club.

Rav4EVoom said:
We wanted to thank everyone on the forum for infecting us with your passion for this great car and sharing all aspect of your Rav4EV ownership.

Me too, great forum, great group.

Rav4EVoom said:
I especially want to thank Dianne. We've always purchased vehicles in the past and have never leased one, but we feel assured as everyone says Dianne's deal is golden and she'll take good care of you. So with Dianne's guidance and validation of a great deal to take, we finally leased our very first EV and drove it home tonight for the first time.

+1. Dianne is great. Also my first EV and first ever lease. I was always a "never lease" advocate.

TonyWilliams said:
Congrats!!! What is your typical and atypical uses for the car? If you're driving less than 100 miles per day in relatively flat Illinois, even cold weather and heater use should be OK.

What city are you based in so we can see what

We live in a small town outside of Champaign. I am the family chauffeur and drive to school, violin lessons, gymnastics, church etc. I drive about 40 miles per day. Atypical would be 60.

My husband works at a research park that has a free evse for employees (he can see it from his office window). Other than that there are just a couple of chargers around.

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Graphicsgirl said:
TonyWilliams said:

What city are you based in so we can see what

We live in a small town outside of Champaign. I am the family chauffeur and drive to school, violin lessons, gymnastics, church etc. I drive about 40 miles per day. Atypical would be 60.

My husband works at a research park that has a free evse for employees (he can see it from his office window). Other than that there are just a couple of chargers around.

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Pathetically easy. Have fun.

Hello all. New member introduction here.
After 4 years of driving our VW Eurovan (2001) and paying a lot in gas an repairs (yes the awful reputation is true) the VW died (of timing chain) and my wife really wanted a car (I tried to explain we had enough bicycles... didn't work) I gently steered her away from a Fiat 500 and let her test drive a Rav4EV (I had a lot of electric vehicle experiences from my previous job as a journalist, test driving cars like this Honda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_EV_Plus back in 1997 or 1998!): She loved the torque and the silent motion! Got a not-too-bad deal from Daly City Toyota after countless hours in pain at dealership.
My 6'6" fits in it the Rav4EV to my surprise and the wife is happy to go surf to Pacifica and back to SF without using a ton of gas (insert surfer eco/green mind here).
All good for now, we are still using 110V at home and charging at public chargepoint when on the road to Carmel. Looking into modifying the cord to accept 220. Will have to look deeper into the threads here to find the answer (TucsonEV I guess?).
Big thank to the Rav4EV community and this forum!
:)
David

Welcome (back) to EV's.

As to charging, the number one best seller for full 40 amp charging is our JESLA. You just need a simple NEMA 14-50 outlet at home on a 50 amp circuit:

We sell the receptacle here for just $5.99:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/14-50R-Outlet-14-50R.htm

The JESLA 40 amp (9.6kW) J1772 portable charging cable works at up to full power on every known J1772 equipped vehicle in the world.

JESLA was designed specifically with the unique 40 amp Tesla onboard charger that is in a Mercedes B-Class ED, Toyota RAV4 EV, and of course Tesla cars, but also,works,equally fantastic like the BMW i3, Kia Soul EV or Nissan LEAF. It is ultra flexible, light weight, and portable, PLUS it adjusts from 100 to 250 volts and 12 to 40 amps, automatically. You don't have to know anything about electricity; just plug-n-play!!!

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

JELSA ships with NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs. Additionally, you may want to buy the correct plug for your dryer (handy for visiting friends or relatives at their house) or for motel air conditioners:

When you attach the respective NEMA plug, the JESLAtm will automatically provide the following amperage, up to the limit of your EV's maximum amperage:

..........................................VOLTS / AMPS....kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet 110 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW (included)
NEMA 5-20 ...... 20 amp Outlet .. 120 V / 16 A...... 1.9kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-50......RVs and Camps.... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW (included)
NEMA 6-50 .......Welding Equip..... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW (discontinued)

Miles Gained per Hour Charging @ 87.5% charger efficiency
70F Ambient temperature - hotter or colder will decrease miles gained

Power .......................City-Driving Economy-65mph
Amps/Volts -- Where ---- 2.7 miles/kWh - 3.4 miles/kWh

12 / 120 ------- Any ------ 2.8 miles ------ 3.5 miles (supplied cable with car)
12 / 240 ------ Home ----- 6.8 miles ------ 8.6 miles
16 / 208 ------ Public ----- 7.5 miles ------ 9.5 miles
16 / 240 ------ Home ----- 8.9 miles ----- 11.2 miles
20 / 208 ------ Public ----- 9.4 miles ----- 11.9 miles
20 / 240 ------ Home ---- 11.0 miles ----- 13.9 miles
24 / 240 ------ Home ---- 13.6 miles ----- 17.7 miles
25 / 250 ------ Home ---- 13.7 miles ----- 17.9 miles
30 / 208 ------ Public ---- 14.8 miles ----- 18.7 miles (typical public J1772)
30 / 240 ------ Home ---- 17.1 miles ----- 21.6 miles
40 / 208 ------ Public ---- 18.5 miles ----- 23.4 miles (Tesla, Rav4 EV, Mercedes B-Class ED)
40 / 240 ------ Home ---- 22.7 miles ----- 28.5 miles (Tesla, Rav4 EV, Mercedes B-Class ED)

Well, this thread looks long dormant, but I'll add a post.

My name is Howard and my wife and I are new owners of a used 2012 Blizzard Pearl Rav4 EV. It's our first electric vehicle and we also own a Prius C.

We were looking at some of the current EVs and even test drove a 2019 Kia Niro EV. It was fun, but didn't have the kind of cargo space that we're looking for. It also had an inventory shortage and $5K dealer markup.

While researching electric vehicles, I had come across the Rav4 EV, but after reading here about the many maintenance issues and lack of service support out of state, we pretty much ruled it out. We decided to settle on a used Prius v (lower case); Toyota of Walnut Creek had one in stock and we were going to visit friends there, so we scheduled a test drive; they also happened to have a used Rav4 EV in stock, so why not test drive that one too? It was pretty obvious which one my both liked, but we decided that it's too bad the Rav4 is hard to get serviced out of state because we plan to move out of California in the future; the Prius v is was a more practical choice, but the one we test drove was priced too high and it was a no haggle price.

The next Saturday, we were on our way to test drive a low mileage 2013 Prius v, when the dealer texted us that they just sold it. We likely would have bought that car, but by chance, we happened to find a used Rav4 EV with lower miles than the one in Walnut Creek and was also lower priced. It recently had the traction motor replaced and it seems like the overall experience with the new motors are positive. So we drove 400+ miles to SoCal, checked out the car, decided we liked it and it looked to be in good working condition. It has a JdeMO, so it took us "only 13" hours to drive back up the 99/580 to home.

We're gambling that it's going to be a reliable vehicle for us, but it's a gamble we're comfortable with. We also have an extended warranty on the Rav4, so if anything does fail, hopefully it will be before we move out of state. We've now driven it 1K miles and have set up an OpenEVSE for level 2 charging. So far, we're very happy with our purchase.

Welcome to the very limited club. With less than 2500 total cars remaining in the world, and quite literally hundreds of them shipped overseas to primarily Norway, but also Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic, UK, Denmark, Canada, etc, and people regularly destroying them, the value of your car is going up!

I am confident that we could give you many pointers to make your JdeMO™ experience work better for you. You’re welcome to give me a call, Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM Pacific time at 760-798–0342. We will have a free software upgrade coming out in the spring of 2020 for all JdeMO equipped vehicles (RAV4 EV, Tesla Roadster, Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e) installed after January 2016.

Back