Trailer Hitch Installation

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just installed the amazon purchased trailer hitch with my son and it took us 30 min total. I havent yet completed the wiring though. It definately required a 2nd person to hold the other end to get it lined up with the bolt holes in the chassis (only 3 of the 4 were covered with tape on my car for some reason). But it looks nice and is very functional. Good deal and thanks for all the pictures posted which made it easier to know i was doign the right thing.

n3ckf said:
i just installed the amazon purchased trailer hitch with my son and it took us 30 min total. I havent yet completed the wiring though. It definately required a 2nd person to hold the other end to get it lined up with the bolt holes in the chassis (only 3 of the 4 were covered with tape on my car for some reason). But it looks nice and is very functional. Good deal and thanks for all the pictures posted which made it easier to know i was doign the right thing.

Yep, did the exact same installation yesterday on my Ravvy. Found it too tight for two people installed it myself. So after installing the passenger-side, I ended installing it myself using a combination of items to pry the driver's side out just enough to put the front bolt in after which the back bolt went in easily.

TonyWilliams said:
cossie1600 said:
I just installed the CURT hitch, you don't need to remove the rear bumper at all. Just get a screwdriver to remove the tape from the holes, get a jack to help you guide the hitch onto the holes and it should take you less than 30 minutes to install.

You don't have o remove the bumper for any of the hitches. The wiring is easier with the bumper off.

So taking the bumper off saves yo from taking all of those interior pieces out as on the wiring harness manufacturers video?

I like doing things as long as they take standard hand tools and no more than .5 hour. Past that and I get someone else to do it. I love reading these detailed DIY threads though, really great stuff.

I just installed a class 3 hitch and the wiring in less than 30 mins. It was very easy. You do not need to take off your bumper.

The EchoHitches from Tork Lift Central are nice but even with $45 off, they are ~$200. For some cars, like the Volt or LEAF, these may be good options but for the Rav4, even with the discount, they are still $100 more expensive than competitors.

TorkliftCentral said:
For anyone interested all EcoHitch’s are $45 off with free shipping Nov. 28 – Dec. 1st for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Which rav4 model should I order, theoption with the spare tire underneath or in the back?

Thanks

What drop receiver are you guys using?

I have an average trailer that requires a 1 7/8" ball. I think I had a 2" drop when I used it with my PIP. What drop receiver should I get for the Rav?

I just bought a 2014 RAV4 EV. I want to add a hitch to carry my bikes. Do I use the Reese 51157 or the 44686 available from Amazon? Are the 2014 RAV4 EV bodies different from the 2012 or 2013 EVs?

ROBOTDAD said:
I just bought a 2014 RAV4 EV. I want to add a hitch to carry my bikes. Do I use the Reese 51157 or the 44686 available from Amazon? Are the 2014 RAV4 EV bodies different from the 2012 or 2013 EVs?

There's an entire thread on this in the modofications and accessories section. You should find several suiatble hitches in the thread. The 2014 Rav4 is EXACTLY the same as the 2012 and 2013 except the VIN date code. The Rav4EV (all years) are common to the 2006 - 2012 model year, so NEVER order parts for a 2014 Rav4 - they will not fit your car. Always get parts based on the 2012 Rav4 model year.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=152

HD172 said:
I bought the same hitch as Tony from amazon for $126.89. My bike rack is a Kuat with with built in cable lock and repair stand. The cargo door can open with the bikes off and the bikes stand tilted in the down position. I love both hitch and rack.
The hitch is a Reese Towpower 51157 Pro Series Class III Hitch with 2" Round Tube Receiver

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yikes. I ordered the same hitch and Kuat NV rack, but for some reason I cannot open my rear door - the bike rack is about 4-5" too high and won't let the door open. Has anyone else run into this?

pl804 said:
HD172 said:
I bought the same hitch as Tony from amazon for $126.89. My bike rack is a Kuat with with built in cable lock and repair stand. The cargo door can open with the bikes off and the bikes stand tilted in the down position. I love both hitch and rack.
The hitch is a Reese Towpower 51157 Pro Series Class III Hitch with 2" Round Tube Receiver

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yikes. I ordered the same hitch and Kuat NV rack, but for some reason I cannot open my rear door - the bike rack is about 4-5" too high and won't let the door open. Has anyone else run into this?

So huge props to HD172. He PM'ed that with the lever activated, the Kuat actually flexs beyond 180 degrees. I tested it today and indeed, it works! Thank you MyRav4EV.com and HD172!

I just got that Reese 51157 hitch for my RAV4 EV and a Yakima Holdup 2 and Holdup 2 Plus (for four bikes) via Amazon. I had a little trouble as the first hitch arrived bent and it took me a while to finally notice that that was why I couldn't install the thing by myself – the holes really didn't line up – I wasn't just doing it wrong! So, returned it and ordered a replacement with my fingers crossed that it too wouldn't come bent. Success! Easy-peasy to install it when the holes lineup!

However, I now find that the Yakima Holdup 2 doesn't tilt down enough to allow the RAV4's rear door to be opened more than about a foot or two. Crap. I had just assumed that since it had the ability to tilt down below the horizontal that it would be enough. (I also got rid of the Yakima boxes and shipping materials while waiting for the replacement hitch to arrive.)

So... I guess the Kuat NV rack (plus the add-on) is one option – any caveats to know about it?

Any other bike rack suggestions?

And anybody want a brand new Yakima bike rack system? ;) (I've put it up on craigslist...)

Incredulocious said:
I just got that Reese 51157 hitch for my RAV4 EV and a Yakima Holdup 2 and Holdup 2 Plus (for four bikes) via Amazon. I had a little trouble as the first hitch arrived bent and it took me a while to finally notice that that was why I couldn't install the thing by myself – the holes really didn't line up – I wasn't just doing it wrong! So, returned it and ordered a replacement with my fingers crossed that it too wouldn't come bent. Success! Easy-peasy to install it when the holes lineup!

However, I now find that the Yakima Holdup 2 doesn't tilt down enough to allow the RAV4's rear door to be opened more than about a foot or two. Crap. I had just assumed that since it had the ability to tilt down below the horizontal that it would be enough. (I also got rid of the Yakima boxes and shipping materials while waiting for the replacement hitch to arrive.)

So... I guess the Kuat NV rack (plus the add-on) is one option – any caveats to know about it?

Any other bike rack suggestions?

And anybody want a brand new Yakima bike rack system? ;) (I've put it up on craigslist...)

I really like the Kuat and recommend the one with the built in bike lock.

Try something like this to lower your rack.

http://www.carid.com/curt/2-raised-receiver-extender-adapter-5-1-4-length-4-1-4-rise-mpn-45794.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAlvilBRC5ueCzkpXb4kgSJADxop1B0H_dMXcmIpEc1368-UOG1BMu8bbYXsFR3L_7dyAXsBoCyZzw_wcB

rickrides said:
Try something like this to lower your rack.

http://www.carid.com/curt/2-raised-receiver-extender-adapter-5-1-4-length-4-1-4-rise-mpn-45794.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAlvilBRC5ueCzkpXb4kgSJADxop1B0H_dMXcmIpEc1368-UOG1BMu8bbYXsFR3L_7dyAXsBoCyZzw_wcB
Thanks, but many (probably all) of the hitch-mounted bike rack makers warn specifically against using a hitch extender.

Incredulocious said:
I just got that Reese 51157 hitch for my RAV4 EV and a Yakima Holdup 2 and Holdup 2 Plus (for four bikes) via Amazon. However, I now find that the Yakima Holdup 2 doesn't tilt down enough to allow the RAV4's rear door to be opened more than about a foot or two.

I got the Kuat NV today and set it up. It does indeed allow the RAV4's rear door to open fully... just barely skims the rack in its fully lowered position, but it does open all the way. However, I’m not happy with it because of how it has trouble accommodating multiple mountain bikes without rubbing or cutting into seats from handlebars and shifters. (See details below.) Because of this, I went back to see about cutting off the top of the wheel basket on the Yakima to allow clearance. That’s when I discovered I could just squeeze over it if I lifted the swing door while opening it. Eureka! Can’t open all the way, only 3-4 feet but it’s enough to gain full access to the vehicle.

So, keeping the Yakima… returning the Kuat NV and NV Add-On.

For anyone interested, here's my full comparison of the two racks:
(Yakima Holdup 2 vs. Kuat NV) - Incredulocious said:
Hitch connection: Both are well-built and fit securely without any movement. I like how there’s no wrench required on the Kuat to attach it to the hitch receiver: slip in and lock the pin and then hand-tighten the ball with a knob to secure the mount to the hitch and keep it from moving around. On the other hand, while the hitch pin just slips in and locks, it’s free to rattle around. (I added some tape to make it more snug.) On the Yakima, the hitch pin screws into place with a wrench. It’s very secure but it’s not very convenient to put on or remove – and I’m not one to leave the rack on when I’m not using it.

Tray Design: Both are tray designs and can carry a wide range of bike sizes and styles. Both can be extended to carry up to four bikes. Yakima's is easier to assemble but that’s just a one-time thing. However, Yakima has a strong advantage here in that the individual trays can be adjusted left and right to avoid conflicts between handlebars and seats. In addition, Kuat advertises that you get 13” spacing between your bikes but that’s only true if you don’t add on the extra rack for two more bikes. You have to disassemble one set of arms and reattach them at a 9” spacing to accommodate the two bike add-on. And this isn’t something you can do easily – you’re not going to want to switch this back and forth. Even without the squeeze down to 9”, I find that our two mountain bikes make hard contact with each other between seats and handlebars and shifters. This doesn’t happen at all on the Yakima. Even in the tray’s center positions, the bikes are offset from each other and the seats and bars don’t touch at all. Plus, you can move the trays on the Yakima if need be.

Lock cables: Both have built-in cable locks and a locking hitch pin with shared keys. Kuat's cables are beefier but Kuat's cables are so short I can just barely get it to pass through the frames of two mtn bikes – and not even both rear wheels (never mind the front wheels). The Yakima design is different and each cable locks separately and can easily include the frame and front wheel (but not the backs).

Tailgate clearance: On the Yakima, you can't open the RAV4's rear door very far without hitting the rear wheel basket. However, if you lift up on the swing door while you open it, you can squeeze over this and get it open about 3-4 feet. Not all the way, but it’s enough to provide easy access to the back of the vehicle. On the other hand, the Kuat design has a low enough profile when fully lowered that the RAV4’s door will only just barely touch the rack but allows it to open fully.

Extras: The Kuat NV comes with a repair stand to lift your bike up via its seat post. The Yakima Holdup 2 Plus add-on comes with a spring loaded warning flag and two battery-operated warning blinkers.

Aesthetics: It's subjective, but I think the Kuat looks nicer/sharper than the Yakima, but the Yakima doesn’t look bad, just plain.

I am going to stay with the Yakima Holdup 2 just because of how easily the bikes fit in and don’t rub or cut into each other and how the trays are adjustable to avoid handlebar/seat conflicts with other people’s bikes. The need to use a wrench to screw on and off the hitch pin on the Yakima might get annoying over time – but I normally put my bikes inside my vehicle anyway. Much safer and secure back there. I just want the rack for when there’s more than two of us or I need to fill the vehicle with other gear (camping, etc).

evdrive said:
TorkliftCentral said:
For anyone interested all EcoHitch’s are $45 off with free shipping Nov. 28 – Dec. 1st for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Which rav4 model should I order, theoption with the spare tire underneath or in the back?

Thanks
From what I can tell, they appear to be mostly the same, with a subtle difference in the length of the receiver -- presumably so it sticks out farther on the back of the car when you have a spare tire on the back. I'm guessing either one will work, and the short one can theoretically be extended but a long one cannot be shortened. Here are the links and images from TorkCentral (aka Ecohitch). Hopefully the images will scale down a bit when displayed here...

2012-Toyota-Rav-4-Spare-Tire-on-Back-of-Vehicle-2-ECO-Series-Stealth-Hidden-Trailer-Hitch
http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/catalog/7152-06-12-Rav4-Spare-on-Back2-2-copy.jpg

[url=http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/2006-2012-Toyota-Rav-4-Spare-Tire-Underneath-the-Vehicle-2-ECO-Series-Stealth-Hidden-Trailer-Hitch-p2140.htm]2012-Toyota-Rav-4-Spare-Tire-Underneath-the-Vehicle-2-ECO-Series-Stealth-Hidden-Trailer-Hitch[/url]
[img]http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/catalog/7174-06-12-Rav4-Underneath2-3-copy.jpg

I would love to see pictures of an upright bike rack on the back of a RAV4-EV with either one of these Torklift hitches, to see if they'll clear the bumper with the shorter ("spare tire underneath") version but I suppose that also depends on the actual hitch you use.

I really like the "stealth" style of the this hitch over the other ones, but I suppose that also means detaching those two plastic strips from the bumper in order to install the hitch above them (rather than below them as with almost every other hitch). Not sure if the stealth version is worth an extra $100 but I really like the idea of having it tucked up out of the way. I know someone who has one (but I don't know which one); now that I know the difference I'll see if I can get a picture of theirs next time I see them in their RAV (and maybe try my bike rack in it too)...

Back