Trailer Hitch Installation

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredulocious said:
I just got that Reese 51157 hitch for my RAV4 EV via Amazon. I had a little trouble as the first hitch arrived bent and it took me a while to finally notice that that was why I couldn't install the thing by myself – the holes really didn't line up – I wasn't just doing it wrong! So, returned it and ordered a replacement with my fingers crossed that it too wouldn't come bent. Success! Easy-peasy to install it when the holes lineup!
I have the same problem, the mounting bracket on the driver side is slightly bent and the holes don't line up. It was probably dropped during shipping. I wonder if I got your return? Anyway, my Kuat nv2 rack will arrive tomorrow and the replacement hitch should arrive on Friday.

rickrides said:
Incredulocious said:
I just got that Reese 51157 hitch for my RAV4 EV via Amazon. I had a little trouble as the first hitch arrived bent and it took me a while to finally notice that that was why I couldn't install the thing by myself – the holes really didn't line up – I wasn't just doing it wrong! So, returned it and ordered a replacement with my fingers crossed that it too wouldn't come bent. Success! Easy-peasy to install it when the holes lineup!
I have the same problem, the mounting bracket on the driver side is slightly bent and the holes don't line up. It was probably dropped during shipping. I wonder if I got your return? Anyway, my Kuat nv2 rack will arrive tomorrow and the replacement hitch should arrive on Friday.
Heh... would be sad if true, but no... mine was bent on the passenger side. I was thinking it was bent under strain of something really heavy resting on top of it. That shipping arrangement was hopeless: the hitch was just loose in a large, unreinforced box. The bike racks (both Yakima and Kuat) were shipped in very solid arrangements and could probably support a lot of weight above them. No worries there.

I installed the replacement Reese hitch...Very easy when the holes line up. 65 foot pounds seemed overly tight with my torque wrench but that's what it called for so that's what I did.

Also got the KUAT NV bike rack. Excellent quality! The rear door only clears the rack if the rack is pinned to the outermost hole in the hitch.

I got the Reese hitch and wiring kit from eBay. The hitch install was easy and fast. Following Tony's excellent directions (and the directions on the package) we installed the wiring harness. When we got to the step to plug in the passenger side rear connectors, we found they were smaller than the ones on the car. The driver side went in fine and we have the other wires all in place. Has anyone else seen anything like this? We have a call in to the eBay vendor. It seems strange that one side connectors are fine, but the others are not. I'd hate to have to pull it all out to do it again.

Suggestions?

John

I put on a Curt 13149 today. Easy peasy. Just required removing the plastic covering three of the four mounting points and then the usual hitch-business of balancing and lifting the hitch with one hand while threading the first bolt in with the other. This is especially fun with a loose-jointed shoulder...

Anyway, it took about 10 minutes to strip off all the (poor) packaging, grab my Rhino Ramps from up on the shelf, and maneuver the vehicle onto them, then less than 5 to get the hitch actually screwed into place.

WaUatywl.jpg

I didn't do a wiring harness because this is solely for use with my trusty Thule T2 bike rack. I'll test out the setup tomorrow!

Tony,
I’m trying to follow your wiring instructions but the photos are no longer available. I’m having trouble with this part.

“The back interior trim piece just lifts straight up to remove, and then you can feed the wires for the right side taillights over there. As fast as you get the wire fed through and connected, you can put this part back together:”

I don’t understand what the back interior trim piece is. I thought it might be the back sill area of the storage compartment but can’t get it to lift out. I can’t find anything that just lifts out. Can you explain more or supply the pics that were originally posted? They were on photobucket and are no longer available on the link.

Thanks for your help

Pinkpower said:
Anyone here has installed a hitch for 2014 rav4? I am using it just for the bike rack, no rowing
This site is all about the all-electric RAV4 EV. Is that what you're talking about? The 2012 to 2014 EV uses the chassis from the 2012 gas RAV4, not the 2014 gas RAV4. If you have a gas powered RAV4, you're better off going to RAV4World or a similar site.

Back