SoCal EV Meet Up Saturday, June 27, 8am - 11am, Santa Ana

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
fromport said:
TonyWilliams said:
One week to go!
172 miles one way, will have to take an ICE to get there :-(
That would suck. If you can drive 55mph, you'd probably only need about 90 minutes of charge each way in the middle (assuming 208v/30amp). You can get 240v/40 amp at my house when you get here.

I have done 3 trips with 160+ miles already on a full charge and those trip included passing the grapevine (back and forth).
So shouldn't be a problem with driving economical. Will try and plan and see if I can make it work ;-)

Now I know who's GC3 on the eco list! :lol: You're consistently up there in the 4's

JasonA said:
Now I know who's GC3 on the eco list! :lol: You're consistently up there in the 4's
I wish I were, my average is 3.85miles/kWh (always in top10 though). Am now 6 months number 1 on the "lightfoot" index.
But according to entunes, I only scored "silver" this far for ranking. :twisted:

I think we had five RAV4 EV's at my house for the after party. Here's a picture of breakfast:

image.jpg1_1.jpg

392 miles total trip. And a lot rain/traffic going back.

I think the Rav needs a bigger battery! :D

JasonA said:
392 miles total trip. And a lot rain/traffic going back.
I think the Rav needs a bigger battery! :D

395.2 miles total trip ;-)
Fast charging is *awesome*

beginsSC.jpg

endSC.jpg

Going from 16 miles range to 82 in 30 minutes.

I'm glad you guys were able to get another board up and running! Kinda worried you were going to be stuck on L2 going all the way back home! :eek:

JasonA said:
I'm glad you guys were able to get another board up and running! Kinda worried you were going to be stuck on L2 going all the way back home! :eek:

Yeah wasn't looking forward to that ;-)

I left 3:30am with extended charge, 150 miles range according to the GoM
begin_to_sand_extended_charge.jpg

I drove 55 mph with no heating/fan on. It was 50 degrees when I started but during the trip i've seen 55 but mostly in the upper 40's
The day before I left, found a person on plugshare who shares a 14-50 outlet available for charging of EV's in san clemente.
That was about 75% of my trip so thought that would be a good place to stop for a while
traveled 126 miles in 3 hours, so 42 miles/h average
75percentdriven.jpg

Had my openevse with me, so set it to 40 amp (I can only charge 24 amps at home)
I charged for 90 minutes, sometimes put the car on to have the heat seating on to warm up a little, 45 there ;-)
chargingwithaview.jpg

The GoM had gone up to 64 and my last leg would be about 55 miles so should cut it close, but I had a deadline to make.
Drove faster that last leg, and after 70 minutes arrived at Tony's place, where I could charge for the way back.
I arrived with my dreaded "Very low battery" warning on and only 9 miles in the batteries and 10 minutes before the deadline ;-)
arrival_end_point.jpg

Total travel time: 5 hours 40 minutes to bridge 182 miles.
average speed including charging: 32 miles/h ;-(

Hooked up my rav and went with tony to the breakfast meeting.
When we came back, the car had about a normal charge (130 miles according to the GoM)
Tony installed the quick charger, made trips to 2 different chargers (one was just occupied and would take 30 minutes so we moved on to the next)
When everything was working and I headed home, I only had 86 miles left.
Drove until traffic got really dense and decided to look for a chademo. I found a good reference for one in Downey, so I headed there. Arrived with 16 miles left, hooked up the Chademo and did a 30 minutes, 50 kW (115 amps) charge.
When I left after 30 minutes, the GoM was up to 86, Waze told me I need about 75 to get home.
Due to the traffic waze gave me a different route home which probably was longer, but less congested.
I knew I would gain efficiency on the last part driving into Ventura county where I live.
Arrived 9:30p, with "low battery" 17 miles left, and a total trip of 395 miles. Not bad for an EV! ;-)
roundtrip.jpg

If I would have had to this with L2 charging, I would have needed at least 3 hours of charging to make it home.

Fast charging is such a game changer for a rav4.
I am so happy...

wish we could have made it to SoCal for a meet up - but SoOhio a long cold way away!
I'm impressed you are able to charge to 150 miles....
in the cold,best we can do is get to 75-80, (only had the car since December), and hoping to get a little better when warm out....are there secrets (like finding easter eggs in a program, the tech in these cars has to hold some secrets) ?

we went out and brought a Rav4 home after driving it - first ev a tesla....only hesitation is the range but we love it....

thanks

drdoug said:
wish we could have made it to SoCal for a meet up - but SoOhio a long cold way away!
I'm impressed you are able to charge to 150 miles....
in the cold,best we can do is get to 75-80, (only had the car since December), and hoping to get a little better when warm out....are there secrets (like finding easter eggs in a program, the tech in these cars has to hold some secrets) ?

we went out and brought a Rav4 home after driving it - first ev a tesla....only hesitation is the range but we love it....

thanks

You are likely referring to the GOM when you think you only have 75-80 miles. It's not the same as the rated range on the Tesla Model S.

TonyWilliams said:
I think we had five RAV4 EV's at my house for the after party.

I enjoyed the breakfast, thanks for putting everything together. I had a brief chat with Beth on the walk in, she sure likes her B class. I sat next to FROMPORT and had a nice chat. I'm glad his drive home was faster due to Chademo. Sorry I missed the after party, I would have liked to make it to your place after but unfortunately I had to leave early to be at my daughter's school at 11:30. Chademo looking awesome - getting excited!

SoCal EV Meet Ups in Orange County, San Diego County, Riverside and Los Angeles County:

All meet-ups on Saturday:

FEB 21, 2015 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

future - Poway (San Diego County), 9:30am - 11:30am - Hamburger Factory Restaurant, 14122 Midland Road, Poway (858) 486-4575. We have a private room reserved in the back. Just ask your hostess to direct you. Please park in the lot to the NORTH of Aubrey Street. This is a change from previous meets.

future - Cerritos (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 11471 South St, Cerritos, 562-402-8307

future - Northridge (Los Angeles County), 12 noon to 2pm, Bob's Big Boy, 8876 Corbin Ave, Northridge (818) 772-2627 NOTE: may not be active. Third Saturday monthly - Northridge (Los Angeles County) 12pm - 3pm - Bob’s Big Boy in Northridge, 8876 Corbin Ave., Northridge, (818) 772-2627. Southeast corner of Northridge Way and Corbin Ave. NOTE: may not be active

TonyWilliams said:
SoCal EV Meet Ups in Orange County, San Diego County, Riverside and Los Angeles County:
FEB 21, 2015 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

I had a great time at the meeting today.

Here my 3rd quick charge report:

Started with my rav normally charged.
Gom said 112 when I left home.
Arrived after 84.1 miles, gom said 42 miles left ( so driven and range left was 126 miles vs 112 initially predicted)
After meeting drove to QC place.

Gom was down to 32 miles left.
Plugged in to CHAdeMO charger.
eaton_QC.jpg

Charger said I had 16% left in my battery.
Let it charge for 32 minutes, battery was up to 81%, 23.5 kWh added, Gom said range of 120 miles (with fan off, with fan on it dropped to 91 miles)
QC_done.jpg

Arrived home with 180 miles driven today and 27 miles on the Gom to go.

Driving these distances without a QC would have taken at least 4 times longer to charge up.

--

April 11, 2015 - Cerritos (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 11471 South St, Cerritos, 562-402-8307

April 25, 2015 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

future - Poway (San Diego County), 9:30am - 11:30am - Hamburger Factory Restaurant, 14122 Midland Road, Poway (858) 486-4575. We have a private room reserved in the back. Just ask your hostess to direct you. Please park in the lot to the NORTH of Aubrey Street. This is a change from previous meets.

future - Northridge (Los Angeles County), 12 noon to 2pm, Bob's Big Boy, 8876 Corbin Ave, Northridge (818) 772-2627 NOTE: may not be active. Third Saturday monthly - Northridge (Los Angeles County) 12pm - 3pm - Bob’s Big Boy in Northridge, 8876 Corbin Ave., Northridge, (818) 772-2627. Southeast corner of Northridge Way and Corbin Ave. NOTE: may not be active

April 11, 2015 - Cerritos (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 11471 South St, Cerritos, 562-402-8307

April 25, 2015 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

April 30, 2015 (Thursday), 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM, Beale Memorial Library, 701 Truxtun Ave, Bakersfield, CA

Back