Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 154
fusiondynamics wrote:
No!!!!!!!!! I hope they fix the issue and not do a buyback. The only other full electric this size and about the same size might be the Mercedes but the range sucks.

"Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a notification by first class mail. Toyota dealers will repair the electric vehicle traction motor assembly."

I wonder if this was the issue with my car when I loss total traction on the freeway. After a couple ON/OFF sessions, the car went back to normal. I did take the car in and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.


The range is not up to RAV4 EV standards but the features are great! It has bells on top of bells and whistles. Just today when I was listening to an open AM station to the digital noise I discovered it has a built in weather receiver. As I understand BMW even deleted the AM band!

I tried to buy an end of production RAV but Cabe Toyota did not want to deal. I am happy to get the B Class for about the same money. Mercedes and green do not go in the same sentence so they are desperate. CARB discounts are great in a compliance car.

_________________
2014 Mercedes Benz Cirrus White B Class Ouch, it was hit! Frame damage and it is totaled.
2016 VW eGOLF SEL w drive assist.
Back to a 2017 Cirrus white B250E


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Toyota RAV4 EV recall
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:29 pm
Posts: 13
Read in today's SF Chronicle that Toyota is recalling all the EVs because there is a TESLA software glitch that may cause the car to go into neutral. Anyone know more about it? :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:33 pm
Posts: 19
Location: Camarillo
The Rav4 has been great for us. The recall issue seems be of an earlier problem that I thought was resolved by earlier software updates. No one seems to have mentioned it this year at all.

It will be interesting to see what Toyota does with the ones outside of CA. Software sounds like an easy install, but I recall a couple of cars being bricked for a while due to failed installs and battery issues.

Then there are the modified Rav4s. Hopefully there are friendly dealers for those Rav4s.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:21 am
Posts: 5
Read the official PR release from Toyota and decide if you really think it is just a firmware (software) fix.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/to ... arch11.htm

"In the involved RAV4 EV, components in the Electric Vehicle Traction Motor Assembly, which is part of the propulsion system, may cause the vehicle to shift to “neutral” due to a software issue. This condition will also trigger a “Check EV System” warning message on the instrument panel and turn on a malfunction indicator lamp. If the vehicle shifts to “neutral”, this will result in a complete loss of drive power, which can increase the risk of a crash.

Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a notification by first class mail. Toyota dealers will repair the electric vehicle traction motor assembly.

Initially, it does sound like just a software issue but when they end the second sentence they say "repair the electric vehicle traction motor assembly" which sounds like they have to do some work on our Tesla motors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:29 pm 
Offline
Site Moderator

Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:44 pm
Posts: 278
Location: SF Bay Area
mysticmotz wrote:
Read the official PR release from Toyota and decide if you really think it is just a firmware (software) fix.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/to ... arch11.htm

"In the involved RAV4 EV, components in the Electric Vehicle Traction Motor Assembly, which is part of the propulsion system, may cause the vehicle to shift to “neutral” due to a software issue. This condition will also trigger a “Check EV System” warning message on the instrument panel and turn on a malfunction indicator lamp. If the vehicle shifts to “neutral”, this will result in a complete loss of drive power, which can increase the risk of a crash.

Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a notification by first class mail. Toyota dealers will repair the electric vehicle traction motor assembly.

Initially, it does sound like just a software issue but when they end the second sentence they say "repair the electric vehicle traction motor assembly" which sounds like they have to do some work on our Tesla motors.


It is a software update, they use "repair" as legal jargon to indicate it is a fix or "repair" for the issue. The car has no mechanical neutral of any kind to replace or repair nor are they swapping drive systems for a software update. The ECU is in the traction pack.

_________________
2013 RAV4
Open EVSE 50A
portable 120/240V Panasonic EVSE www.evseupgrade.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:27 am
Posts: 159
I'm scared to get any kind of update. I'm still running 2 1/2 yr old firmware, and if it ain't broke, I don't want to risk it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:18 am
Posts: 208
Location: SoCal
jspearman wrote:
I'm scared to get any kind of update. I'm still running 2 1/2 yr old firmware, and if it ain't broke, I don't want to risk it.

I don't think that firmware updates have broken anything. The RAV4 EV only gets better with updates.

_________________
2011 LEAF SL, gone,
2012 RAV4 EV,
2015 Model S 85D,
Solar PV 5.25 kW System.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:02 am
Posts: 95
Maybe we can hope that we might get the new Tesla firmware that is rumored to have a more accurate GOM. We will find out Thursday when Tesla announces what their new thing is to eliminate range anxiety.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 pm
Posts: 1780
Location: Los Altos, CA
fusiondynamics wrote:
Maybe we can hope that we might get the new Tesla firmware that is rumored to have a more accurate GOM. We will find out Thursday when Tesla announces what their new thing is to eliminate range anxiety.
It doesn't matter to us what Tesla announces about range anxiety. I can guarantee you that it will not contribute anything to the RAV4 EV. I am almost certain that Toyota came up with the GOM calculations and that they do their thing purely based on the State Of Charge value reported by the Tesla Battery Management System.

_________________
2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:26 am
Posts: 2
Our 2014 Rav4 (bought in Sep 2014) EV ECU was replaced a couple of months ago (around 2K miles) after multiple "Check EV System" warnings and one episode of my wife finding herself suddenly in neutral. We were originally told only a software upgrade would be needed, but then the unit was replaced. Between this and the replacement of our entire front passenger seat, we have almost hit the 30 day in shop requirement for the CA lemon law (yay?).

I wonder if I need a new software update anyway?

By the way, our 2015 Leaf (purchased one month later) has zero trips to the shop.

_________________
_______________________________
2014 Toyota Rav4 EV Blizzard White
2015 Nissan Leaf SL
JESLA™ J1772 charging cable


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Toyota Rav4 EV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group