Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recall for car going into neutral
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:51 pm 

Tony and Diane have both experienced failures on the most recent software revisions, and Toyota has not revealed the specifics of what the recall fix will be (it may involve both software and hardware yet), so yes, it is very likely that you will still have to visit a dealer as part of the recall.

Why did you have to have the front passenger seat replaced? We're all familiar with the problems people have had with the EV system, but that's a new one, and pretty surprising since it's one of the basic old-school ICE RAV parts, which are usually rock solid.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:24 pm 

eschatfische wrote:
Why did you have to have the front passenger seat replaced? We're all familiar with the problems people have had with the EV system, but that's a new one, and pretty surprising since it's one of the basic old-school ICE RAV parts, which are usually rock solid.

Our service light came on and the dealer told me a sensor had gone bad in the passenger seat (I assume it was the one that detected passenger presence, but I am not sure). I was told the sensor was built into the seat, so the entire seat would have to be replaced. I was also told that these seats are different than traditional Rav4 seats (different cover?, lighter?, he could not elaborate further). The dealer kept our vehicle for almost two weeks while awaiting arrival of the new seat. No problems since.

JESLA™ J1772 charging cable

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:29 pm 

cardano wrote:
Our service light came on and the dealer told me a sensor had gone bad in the passenger seat (I assume it was the one that detected passenger presence, but I am not sure). I was told the sensor was built into the seat, so the entire seat would have to be replaced. I was also told that these seats are different than traditional Rav4 seats (different cover?, lighter?, he could not elaborate further). The dealer kept our vehicle for almost two weeks while awaiting arrival of the new seat. No problems since.

It's actually a complete weight meter that is built in.
With the diagnostic software , it shows the actual weight of the person in the passenger seat.

[conspiracy theory] :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:27 pm 

Quote:
I was told the sensor was built into the seat, so the entire seat would have to be replaced. I was also told that these seats are different than traditional Rav4 seats (different cover?, lighter?, he could not elaborate further).

The RAV4 EV has custom seat heaters and the awful custom upholstery. The majority of the other seat or SRS parts are standard XA30 RAV4 components.

The occupant detection computer, the seat position sensor, passenger seat cushion and seat wiring harness in the RAV4 EV are sold separately from the full seat assembly and are Toyota components used in the ICE RAV. Maybe the EV has a different passenger discrimination sensor, but I can't find a parts reference for that. I wonder what happened there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:54 am 

Finally, safercar.gov has some info.

Here are links to the 5 docs that are up so far:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 3-9223.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 3-5995.PDF
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 3-9620.PDF
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 3-7512.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 3-3968.pdf

You can search for NHTSA campaign number 15V143000 at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues under ID Number.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:07 pm 

Thanks so much for your great list of documents on the recall! I read them all and I appreciate you aggregating all the documents in one place.

I love my RAV4 EV and would never consider giving it up! When the fix is available, I will have the repairs made. I have never experienced the problem described.

My "Eco-Rocket" has about 16, 700 miles on the odometer.

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV #2309 Blizzard Pearl
2012 Lexus RX 450h Starfire Pearl
2012 PRIUS Plug-in Clearwater Blue
9.8kW Solar PV / Enphase
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/public_systems/YHRG34057

Post subject: Anyone gotten service for the March 11 recall notice?
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:41 pm 

Has anyone received in the mail a notice of the recall from Toyota? As of today's mail (May 1, 2015) I have not.
Today I called my dealer, Folsom Lake Toyota, to arrange to bring my RAV4EV to deal with the recall issues. They told me Toyota does not yet have a fix for the problem and would notify me when they do.
I told them this is our only car and we don't want to drive a car with this problem. I am awaiting a call from the service manager.
What has been the experience of others on this issue?
Thanks. BTW, I've had the car for almost 2 years, 16,350 miles, no problems.

Post subject: Re: Anyone gotten service for the March 11 recall notice?
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:30 pm 

Got a call from the service manager at Folsom Lake Toyota: Yes, we have no remedy for the problems listed in the recall notice. His understanding is Toyota is waiting for Tesla to provide the fix and, therefore, Toyota has no ETA for a fix. You have no other car? I feel for ya. Give Toyota a call.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:18 am 
Site Moderator

There is a letter from Toyota to dealers that says there will not be a fix until summer time. If you have any questions you're supposed to call Toyota customer experience.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:43 am 

I posted some links at viewtopic.php?p=20032#p20032 as to the associated documents. You can search for NHTSA campaign number 15V143000 at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues under ID Number. That's probably the best way as I now see 6 documents, instead of 5.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next