Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Buying a Rav4 outside of CA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:07 pm 

klusters wrote:
The regional service director told him there is a good chance the car will come out east. Just a matter of corporate deciding when or whether to take the plunge.

Sure they will !!! They'll siphon off some of the 2600 production from California and then not meet the volume in 3 years required to meet CARB ZEV credits.... sure they'll do that.

Or enter another contract with Tesla for more $38,000 powertrains per Rav4 and sell you the ENTIRE car with warranty for just a bit more than that.... sure they'll do that.

Plunge would be the right word, because it would be dumb beyond dumb for Toyota to do that.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:14 am 
Site Moderator

Tony, at the rate the're selling in CA only, what must be becoming clear to Toyota is they are NOT going to sell "2600" units in 3 years. So, what happens to all the excess inventory then? They can tell CARB they tried their best, but the CA market was just too weak to buy that many SUV ZEVs. (Which btw, is one plausible reason for all the deep discounting, which Toyota can later use to appeal to CARB for a waiver.)

I have heard recently from a Toyota "insider" they are in fact considering expanding the market. Maybe they won't THIS year, or maybe they will . . . its just too soon to say. However, if gasoline prices in CA spike up to or over $5/gal, well then their problem may be solved by the growing anger of millions of CA consumers, and that may just be this car's ultimate salvation as a so-called "compliance" car.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:05 am 

I looked at all service requirements out to 100k miles. Sounds like basically topping off or replacing coolants, rotating tires, checking
brakes for wear, checking to make sure no run-away accelerator Prius mats are in these Rav 4 EVs, and replacing cabin air filter. Checking
chassis..It says right in the manual that while the "non powertrain" stuff/maintenance can be done by any Toyota Dealer, any power train
issues will have to be done by Certified RAV 4 EV dealer.

So am I correct in thinking that any dealer really should be able to do this maintenance (will they have the battery/inverter/motor/etc.
coolants?). However, in the event there is a powertrain issue, I'm shipping it back to San Diego?

Anyway...I just officially bought it today...2 weeks tip shipped here...so I guess you can stick a marker on Lancaster, PA on your map.
Can't be that hard to figure this out...

Where there's a will, there is a way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:04 am 

Pennsylvania RAV wrote:
... I just officially bought it today...2 weeks tip shipped here...so I guess you can stick a marker on Lancaster, PA on your map.

Congrats and welcome to the club. What color?

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:24 am 

Dsinned wrote:
Tony, at the rate the're selling in CA only, what must be becoming clear to Toyota is they are NOT going to sell "2600" units in 3 years. So, what happens to all the excess inventory then? They can tell CARB they tried their best....

I think you're assuming that Toyota gets a pass somehow, and I just don't see that happening. We already had that in 2003. If they can't sell the 2600 in 3 years, Toyota will alternately have to buy ZEV credits on the open market, in addition to the $100 million that they paid Tesla.

But, they don't have to physically build cars that they can't sell (and no longer need if they pay ZEV credits). I'm sure they could cut some kind of deal with Tesla to not build all 2600 drive trains.

But, with the existing CARB rules, and knowing that these cars cost Toyota $10k per unit, plus the current $10k in additional discounts to unload them, there is just ZERO financially sound reason to sell these any place else.

Nissan has TONS of ZEV credits that they can sell. Tesla, too (that Toyota owns a minority share of).

Again, unless somebody could convince me that somehow only Toyota will wiggle around the rules (and all the other manufacturers will just sit idly by and watch while they spend beau coup bucks complying) or that CARB will let ALL manufacturers slip by, then I'll believe that they'll unload current production Rav4 EVs anywhere they can and not make any more.

Their official position is EV's bad, hybrids good, so they wouldn't be producing Rav4 EV's for some reason other than it's cheaper than buying ZEV credits to sell oil burning cars in California by the 100,000's.

I'd love to hear the whiny, "We tried to sell EV's, but nobody wants them" while Tesla pumps out the entire production of Rav4 EV's in about a week with cars that cost twice as much... and they will be selling a larger SUV, too... built in California. Ya, not a very believable story.

I'll repost this:

"I bumped into Elon at a dinner party. I asked about the Rav4 since it was not yet being delivered. He said that Toyota was not interested in selling the car. How do you know, I asked. He said the price ($50k) was too high for the car and that he offered to drop the price of the drive train to their manufacturing costs if Toyota would drop the price of the car the same amount. They said no."

"You only say no if you don't want to sell the cars."

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:26 pm 

Congratulations Penn! What shipping company did you use?

Tony I think its possible that toyota will sell their Rav4EV at a few right coast dealerships. The ZEV mandate has a federal provision allowing automakers to ship cars between states that have adopted the mandate to hit sales targets. States like NJ, NY, MA have said they would adopt the new mandate. This may account for the FFE selling in those states shortly after it came out it cali.
Additionally, plugin in cars like the PIP also count towards the mandate so it not necessarily true that Toyota needs to sell all 2600 RAV4 EV's in California to make its quota.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:45 pm 

Blizzard White

klusters - sorry couldn't figure the email to reply to you.

I used Golden Key Express and bought from Mossy Toyota in San Diego. My partner has
shipped cars from San Diego to Lancaster, PA and very satisfied with this shipping company...
can't personally vouch for them for another 2 weeks. $1,100 to ship (diesel surcharge)...deliver
to front door.

If you lease, you lose the federal and state tax credits...Just go for it and buy the thing klusters...great
deal. plus 0% financing...

Misty Webb
Dispatch Coordinator
Golden Key Express
Phone 513-732-5810 Hours M-F 8:30 to 6:00 EST
Fax 513-732-5875

Incidentally, just got off phone with my local PA Toyota. They said no problem servicing the
vehicle. Spoke with one of the technicians...he just said to give them a week head's up and service
mileage to get any stuff they might need.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 pm 

Welcome to the RAV4 EV Out-of-staters club!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm 

Thanks Penn for the shipping info. Will your be shipped in a covered truck or open bed?

Regarding service, that is what I was told as well. They said they have all the manuals and can perform the basic service. The potential issue would be if they need to lower the battery to address a powertrain issue. They do not have the equipment nor training to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:00 pm 

Open. my buddy did say there were lots and lots of bugs on his windshield when he got it...but
nothing a trip to car wash can't fix.

As for powertrain...I'm in discussion with Tesla. There is a Tesla store/service center 68 miles
from my house...prob. one alot close than San Fran/Diego to yours as well. I'm trying to get
Tesla to buy this logic:

1. Selling more Rav 4 EV's is good for Tesla. (people love 'em for the Tesla componenets in no small measure). It's advertising and sends message to Toyota et al. that Tesla components have demand.

2. If you want to do EV's (as Tesla understands) CA is not the be all and end all...there's a much bigger
market than CA for EV's.

3. There are people willing to spend some bucks to ship...esp. when Toyota is damn near giving them away. But the biggest impediment to OOS sales is this whole powertrain issue.

4. It would be a small but very simple thing if Tesla were to simply reassure East Coasters that in the event of a powertrain issue, they've got you covered....work something out with Toyota.

This is the case I'm trying to make to local Tesla store. Jump on in if you like...don't know if there's one near you....but maybe they could hear from multiple folks simultaneously.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next