pricing on used units

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruralcarrier

$24k for 50k miles seem fair?

I know incentives dropped upwards of $20k off these cars.

Does this seem like a fair price?

Currently driving a fit ev and not sure if I want to loose my $259 monthly includ d collision lease. Vehicle being used for rural mail delivery. Will the rav 4 be able to handle this? Did they install extra duty springs and suspension components? Thank you.

Also I'm currently getting 5.5m/kWh with stop go stop go. 61 miles 360 stops. The aerodynamics shouldn't be a problem. It's the added weight and the unknown regen effeciancy I'm worried about.

I'll be putting at least 36k miles on it yearly and hope to install a fuel powered heater for winter driving as well as keeping the car stored in a heated garage.

Location capital region NY

amped up said:
I've been looking for a used one myself (also in NYS).

I've seen some go for $30k (which is still disappointing, since you could have had a new one at that price, if it wasn't for Toyota blocking incentives for out-of-state sales).

IMO $24k is more realistic, especially if you look at the used pricing of other EVs, such as the Nissan LEAF, but I haven't seen them hit that price point yet.

If you have access to a CHAdeMO charging station, Tony is selling both his vehicles, which have that option.

You get about twice the battery pack of a leaf/fit
You get a much more practical car: room, range
I have done 160+ miles 3 times on my car with a full charge (didn't go faster than 55 miles per hour though)
Less degradation on the battery pack than on a leaf (mine turned 1 year a few days ago, 16k miles and I might have up to 10 miles less range than new)
After 3 years/30k miles driving my leaf range was down to 60% of new.
I think you can not compare the electrical qualities of a nissan leaf/honda fit EV with a tesla (derived) product.
My guess is that the second hand prices are actually a bargain.
Toyota sold those units with big losses in order to sell 2600+ in 3 years to comply with the carb standards.
My guess is they took a $25k+ loss at least per car.
Just look at what a 42 kWh battery pack plus BMS (cooling/heating) costs.
Second hand rav4ev's are imho a steal.

fromport said:
amped up said:

I've seen some go for $30k (which is still disappointing, since you could have had a new one at that price, if it wasn't for Toyota blocking incentives for out-of-state sales).

IMO $24k is more realistic, especially if you look at the used pricing of other EVs, such as the Nissan LEAF, but I haven't seen them hit that price point yet.

If you have access to a CHAdeMO charging station, Tony is selling both his vehicles, which have that option.

You get about twice the battery pack of a leaf/fit
You get a much more practical car: room, range
I have done 160+ miles 3 times on my car with a full charge (didn't go faster than 55 miles per hour though)
Less degradation on the battery pack than on a leaf (mine turned 1 year a few days ago, 16k miles and I might have up to 10 miles less range than new)
After 3 years/30k miles driving my leaf range was down to 60% of new.
I think you can not compare the electrical qualities of a nissan leaf/honda fit EV with a tesla (derived) product.
My guess is that the second hand prices are actually a bargain.
Toyota sold those units with big losses in order to sell 2600+ in 3 years to comply with the carb standards.
My guess is they took a $25k+ loss at least per car.
Just look at what a 42 kWh battery pack plus BMS (cooling/heating) costs.
Second hand rav4ev's are imho a steal.

+2

amped up said:

All the cars that CarMax has are mid to upper $30k (they have three at the moment).

$25,000 is a good deal if you don't value a warranty (I suspect we're still talking about the car in Missouri). I wouldn't touch it at any price. So, it is priced accordingly.

Toyota doesn't offer new ones. There apparently are a few at dealers that have ZERO incentives... $51k, and they can't sell them during the governemnt recall.

The RAV4 EV is far more capable at hauling weight than the cars you are comparing. With the much larger battery, you don't really need an alternate heater.

Toyota is significantly lightening up on the out-of-state repair issue, because they no longer have to put the hammer down to keep the cars in California. They have already earned all the CARB-ZEV credits, game over. It was the singular reason the car was built.

I just had a new gearbox seal install under warranty for a RAV4 EV in Kennewick, Washington. Guys are getting new motors out-of-state. That issue is far from perfect, but we have every reason to believe it is going to be more "Toyota like" and less like a dysfunctional GM.

The fact that the RAV4 EV was discontinued (when there is still demand) actually increased value. What a Nissan LEAF with a deteriorating battery is worth has no bearing.

I have two cars, both white, and both fully covered with Toyota warranty, for the following prices:

Cash price is:

#2496 ----------- #1134 - serial number
23,000 ---------- 53,000 - miles
$39,500 -------- $35,000 - asking price
($2,499) ------- ($2,499) -less JdeMO
($999) ----------($999) - less JESLA
($279) ----------($279) - less JLong

$35,723--------$31,223 net price

FOB San Diego, CA

amped up said:
I never said the RAV4 EV wasn't a better vehicle. But it does seem to have costly repair issues (especially for out-of-state folks), barely has any support from Toyota, and has been discontinued.
Plus incentives do affect market value (I'm not saying it's fair), just look at the blue book values for EVs in general. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Most cars being sold aren't older than 3 years or have more than 30k miles on it.

This is the standard warranty afaik on a rav4ev:

Basic 3 year / 36,000 miles
Free Maintenance 2 year / 25,000 miles
Drivetrain 5 year / 60,000 miles
Roadside 2 year / 25,000 miles
Rust 5 year / Unlimited miles
Traction battery 96 months / 100,000 miles

see page 12 of http://www.myrav4ev.com/docs/RAV4EV_Warranty_and_Maintenance.pdf
You should get the extended warranty when buying a rav4ev.

About your blue book value: have you looked at tesla prices ?
The question is:
Do you want to compare them with KBB leaf prices or KBB tesla prices?

amped up said:
I never said the RAV4 EV wasn't a better vehicle. But it does seem to have costly repair issues (especially for out-of-state folks), barely has any support from Toyota, and has been discontinued.

out-of-state owners do have Toyota's full support and in some instances may even have a easier time having warranty repairs done. I've experienced this personally here in NJ.

Back