ALL POSTS - GOM - Range Meter - Distance To Empty meter

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Incredulocious said:
Yeah, it's a shame we have no easy way to check the battery integrity. Best you can do is see how much energy you can put into it on multiple occasions. I'm sorry you didn't feel comfortable with that unit. It may have been fine. It sounds fine from what you described, but it is your investment. Good luck to you on your search for a replacement.

RAV4 EV battery degradation
Make sure that the battery is at room temperature, then:

1) Fully charge vehicle (extended) with the J1772 port (not CHAdeMO)
2) Battery must be near room temperature
3) Turn off cabin climate control with "OFF" button
4) Disconnect the 12 volt battery negative cables and leave off for several hours minimum (overnight is ideal)

Next day:

5) Reconnect 12 volt battery
6) Hold foot on brake and press START button with key fob nearby
7) Energy gauge will show Full (16 illuminated segments) and "LO" on the GOM
8) Wait for navigation unit to complete its start up
9) Press START with brake pedal depressed a second time
10) The displayed range is "RATED RANGE" at 3.5 miles per kWh

11) Divide this Rated Range by 146 to get usable battery capacity compared to new.

Example: 142 rated range / 146 = 97.2% battery capacity from new

If you drive the RAV4 EV at my standard test speed of 100km / 62mph ground speed, it will go almost EXACTLY the rated range.

TEST DRIVING PROTOCOL - dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F, no elevation changes, "out-and-back" or loop course to compensate for any wind, 62mph / 100km/h GROUND speed as measured by GPS.

So, if the car is new, it will bang out 146 miles and the rated range will be 146 under the prescribed conditions.

If the rated range is 135, it will go 135.

Just when it seemed all was clear I see this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5054201548.html Check out the GOM 154!!!!!!

laguna_b said:
Just when it seemed all was clear I see this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5054201548.html Check out the GOM 154!!!!!!

Marketing is conning people into buying stuff

fromport said:
laguna_b said:

Marketing is conning people into buying stuff

I can not imagine any way to get a readout like that short of doing the Tony Williams test then driving at like 20 MPH to build a new but ludicrously low speed profile.

laguna_b said:
laguna_b said:

I can not imagine any way to get a readout like that short of doing the Tony Williams test then driving at like 20 MPH to build a new but ludicrously low speed profile.
Well they didn't drive for long: 13 miles on the odometer?? That car was bought but never used. Weird.

Hello, I have had my 2014 Rav EV since January 2015. I have been charging my car with no problems until recently. I used to get charge up to 120 miles on the extended battery setting. Now, the most I am getting is 90. Why is this happening? Is there a way to make this more predictable? Thank you.

The reduced range shown does not indicate a charging problem. It indicates that your driving efficiency has been reduced recently.

What usually happens after sending it to Service is that the techs take the RAV out for a test drive. More often then not, they like to drive it sportier than what you may be used to, which will mess up the range indicator for about a week. When you establish your regular driving pattern again, you'll notice that number will adjust more closely to what you had it after each charge. The battery and charging are likely fine.

You can always reset your GOM by pulling the 12 v battery overnight. Tony posted the steps here ....http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1625

That will also let you see what your battery degradation looks like. I found that my numbers were great (97.2%). I have had zero exposure to high heat and rarely push the battery with either extended charges or running down to turtle.

Remember the GOM is just a GOM and a really pessimistic one at that. I can't remember a single long trip in any conditions where I did not exceed the starting GOM by at least 10% and typical is closer to 20-30%.

Hi,

I just bought a used 2013 Rav4 EV with 30,000 miles. I installed a 240 volt charger in my garage and fully charged the car on Extended Charge. My range is 88 miles. Do I need to replace the battery? I bought an extended 100,000 mile warranty with Toyota and am wondering if this is something that is covered with the Extended Warranty.

Your battery is fine.

If you want to know how much degradation the battery has (and reset the Guess-O-Meter (GOM)), make sure that the battery is at room temperature, then:

1) Car must be off
2) Fully charge vehicle (extended) with the J1772 port (not CHAdeMO)
3) Battery must be near room temperature
4) Disconnect the 12 volt battery negative cables and leave off for several hours minimum (overnight is ideal.... there are three negative cables; you need to remove all three)

Next day:

5) Reconnect 12 volt battery (all three negative cables)
6) Energy gauge will show Full (16 illuminated segments) and "LO" on the GOM
7) Hold foot on brake and press START button with key fob nearby
8) Wait for navigation unit to complete its start up (about 20 seconds)
9) Press START again with brake pedal depressed
10) RAV4 EV will be in READY mode, air conditioner will be off
10) The displayed range is "RATED RANGE" at 3.5 miles per kWh

11) Divide this Rated Range by 146 to get usable battery capacity compared to new.

Example: 142 rated range / 146 = 97.2% battery capacity from new

What needs attention after a 12 volt battery reset:

1) Stored radio / SiriusXM stations will remain, however your last station listened to will likely be gone

2) Cell phone pairings are not 100%, so I would check. i have had to delete my phone (and the car from my phone) and re-pair it

3) Map display mode

4) Volume of navigation voice notifications

5) Random play modes

6) Charge schedule will be retained, but it won't work without hitting the "SAVE" button on the previous screen

7) state selection from destination address page

8) GOM will be reset

Hi Tony,

Can I disconnect the 12-volt battery cables while the car is charging? Or should I fully charge the car and then disconnect the battery?

Also, it looks like we are getting about 110-115 miles on a full charge in extended mode. My parents live in Palmdale, CA and we live in Manhattan Beach which is about 140 miles round trip. We thought we could make it on one charge but by the time we got to Palmdale, the charge meter said we had 1/4 battery life left so we charged the car at a nearby Level 2 charging station which brought us back up to half battery and we were able to get home driving 55 miles per hour the whole way home which was mostly downhill. We had 5 miles left on the GOM when we got home. If in fact our battery has degraded by 20% lets say, can we get it replaced? How much would that cost and is that covered under Toyota's warranty?

Thanks,
Nathan

Nathan Cowan said:
Can I disconnect the 12-volt battery cables while the car is charging?
You probably can , but you shouldn't ;-)
Or should I fully charge the car and then disconnect the battery?
That is what you should do!

Also, it looks like we are getting about 110-115 miles on a full charge in extended mode. My parents live in Palmdale, CA and we live in Manhattan Beach which is about 140 miles round trip. We thought we could make it on one charge but by the time we got to Palmdale, the charge meter said we had 1/4 battery life left so we charged the car at a nearby Level 2 charging station which brought us back up to half battery and we were able to get home driving 55 miles per hour the whole way home which was mostly downhill. We had 5 miles left on the GOM when we got home. If in fact our battery has degraded by 20% lets say, can we get it replaced? How much would that cost and is that covered under Toyota's warranty?

Afaik, toyota does not guarantee anything regarding battery loss in it's warranty.
Do the test and see how much your battery pack really lost.

Nathan Cowan said:
Hi Tony,

Can I disconnect the 12-volt battery cables while the car is charging? Or should I fully charge the car and then disconnect the battery?

Thanks,
Nathan
Traction battery degradation is not covered by the warranty. From the Warranty Guide:

RAV_Traction_Battery_Exclusion.jpg

What is the range in regular mode? Extended is maybe 10% max extra. I believe Tony has stated as the battery degrades the extended charge actually shrinks disproportionately making you think normal is doing better than it really is. And of course the DTE meter can fluctuate significantly.

Do an extended range charge once a week and see if 122 is consistent.

Back