Cheapest RAV4 EV Toyota Extended Warranty

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
csugar21 said:
Has anyone looked into the carmax warranty? I'm having my car shipped to salt lake city through carmax and didn't know if anyone had experience with them on how they could really service an EV. Especially if they needed tesla supplied parts.

That is one big risk to take (buying competing warranty). I'm confident that CarMax will take your money, but somehow, I don't see them being equally as eager to pay the warranty.

The motor assembly is $15,000, by the way.

I sleep a lot better knowing that the Toyota warranty will be honored "in house". I will pay more for that service, and peace of mind.

mark_rivers19 said:
6year/125,000 miles for $995.00
frontier Toyota Valencia,CA
Bought the VSA platinum at 35,400 miles

I have a 2013 RAV4 EV ( purchased August 2013)
Motor has been replaced, ECU Also replaced, coolant G 48 flushed as well
Total of 12-14 visits in the service department in less than 2 years.

( oh yeah, THIS is not your typical TOYOTA reliabilty).
To be fair, most of the times, it's the TESLA component that fails.
And as an early adopter of a model S, i know that pretty well.
The only difference is TESLA provides a loaner, they go to you.

AND I drive close to 25,000miles/ year

Hi Mark, I'm right at 24k a year.. Who was your contact at the dealership for your warranty purchase? Did you get the zero deductible version for that price? Thank You!

csugar21 said:
Has anyone looked into the carmax warranty? I'm having my car shipped to salt lake city through carmax and didn't know if anyone had experience with them on how they could really service an EV. Especially if they needed tesla supplied parts.
It's on my chart. Not as good of a deal.

I bought the 7 year/100,000 warranty from Toby this morning. He was very easy to deal with. I called others and they kept telling me they couldn't sell out of state. One guy even told me he has people fly in to his dealership to sign the paperwork. I thought that was odd. I mentioned to Toby and he got a kick out of it. I should receive paperwork in a few weeks. Fingers crossed that Toyota doesn't throw it back for whatever reason.

duggie said:
I bought the 7 year/100,000 warranty from Toby this morning. He was very easy to deal with. I called others and they kept telling me they couldn't sell out of state. One guy even told me he has people fly in to his dealership to sign the paperwork. I thought that was odd. I mentioned to Toby and he got a kick out of it. I should receive paperwork in a few weeks. Fingers crossed that Toyota doesn't throw it back for whatever reason.
Why didn't you max out either the years or miles? I will not max out the miles, so I will probably buy the 8/100k plan. Others are high mileage, so they go for 7/125k.

miimura said:
duggie said:
Why didn't you max out either the years or miles? I will not max out the miles, so I will probably buy the 8/100k plan. Others are high mileage, so they go for 7/125k.

I just don't need it. I'll probably sell my car around the 3 year mark. Waiting to see how the Volt 2.0 looks in person (and the price!).

Potentially dumb question: do these warranties kick in after the standard warranty expires, or does the clock start running as soon as purchased? I'm referring specifically to the number of years (duration) of coverage, as I assume the mileage is a hard ceiling.

unHookt said:
Potentially dumb question: do these warranties kick in after the standard warranty expires, or does the clock start running as soon as purchased? I'm referring specifically to the number of years (duration) of coverage, as I assume the mileage is a hard ceiling.

They are concurrent, hence why it's not wise to buy until JUST BEFORE (not after) your existing warranty expires.

If the car is stolen, declared a "total" loss, burns to the ground, etc, then your waranty money isn't lost. They will prorate for any refund on the warranty as if it were in effect from day 1, which it is!!!

duggie said:
miimura said:
duggie said:

I just don't need it. I'll probably sell my car around the 3 year mark. Waiting to see how the Volt 2.0 looks in person (and the price!).

I guarantee that the value of your car will go down if you let the warranty lapse for the next owner.

mark_rivers19 said:
6year/125,000 miles for $995.00
frontier Toyota Valencia,CA
Bought the VSA platinum at 35,400 miles

I have a 2013 RAV4 EV ( purchased August 2013)
Motor has been replaced, ECU Also replaced, coolant G 48 flushed as well
Total of 12-14 visits in the service department in less than 2 years.

( oh yeah, THIS is not your typical TOYOTA reliabilty).
To be fair, most of the times, it's the TESLA component that fails.
And as an early adopter of a model S, i know that pretty well.
The only difference is TESLA provides a loaner, they go to you.

AND I drive close to 25,000miles/ year

Please let me know the name of the person and contact #. Thanks,

I still haven't decided if I will buy out my lease next year. I am nearly at the 2 year mark with 35K miles. Do I have to bite the bullet and buy the warranty now and decide next year to cancel or not? I am not sure if it works any different since it is a leased car.

thanks

Yeah, you need to buy it now. I think that values will be such that you will want to buy the lease out, even if it's just to trade it in or sell it. I wouldn't cancel the extended warranty, it will enhance the car's value when you do sell.

If you plan on canceling the warranty, I wouldn't buy it at all.

Any refund will go like this:

Regular warranty 3 year / 36,000 miles... you buy the extended warranty for 6 years / 75,000 miles, but cancel at 3 years and 45,000.

They will prorate that refund as if the extended warranty were in effect from the beginning (huge industry wide scam) and give you less than half of what you paid.

Plus, it will take them months to get that money to you.

i just bought a 2014 rav4 with 17k miles and 20 months left on the 3 year warranty and am wondering if i should consider an extended warranty at some point before the 3 years run out?
suggestions welcome,
ferenc

ferenc said:
i just bought a 2014 rav4 with 17k miles and 20 months left on the 3 year warranty and am wondering if i should consider an extended warranty at some point before the 3 years run out?
suggestions welcome,
ferenc

If you intend to keep it : yes, absolutely
It will be worth that when you are either 1000 miles or 1 month short of the expiration of the current warranty (3yr/36k miles).

Thanks - Toyota apparently has different codes for the different warranties - the local dealer suggested I drive the car for a while and then decide if I still want to purchase the warranty extension.
Any suggestions on which one to choose?
Thanks,
Ferenc

ferenc said:
Thanks - Toyota apparently has different codes for the different warranties - the local dealer suggested I drive the car for a while and then decide if I still want to purchase the warranty extension.
Any suggestions on which one to choose?
Thanks,
Ferenc
It depends entirely on how much you drive per year. I would recommend you get the maximum you can. If you don't drive a lot, then get the 8 years with enough miles to cover your worst case. For me, I will not exceed 100,000 in 8 years, so that is what I will buy. Some people have put a lot more miles, so they're getting something like 7 years, 125,000 miles. There's no point for them to pay for the 8 years because they will pass 125,000 in about 6 years.

Anyway, there is a huge matrix of years and miles that you can choose from. As long as you do a private sale, it is transferrable. You will improve your resale value if you buy the maximum, even if you don't plan to keep it that long.

miimura said:
It depends entirely on how much you drive per year. I would recommend you get the maximum you can. If you don't drive a lot, then get the 8 years with enough miles to cover your worst case. For me, I will not exceed 100,000 in 8 years, so that is what I will buy. Some people have put a lot more miles, so they're getting something like 7 years, 125,000 miles. There's no point for them to pay for the 8 years because they will pass 125,000 in about 6 years.

Anyway, there is a huge matrix of years and miles that you can choose from. As long as you do a private sale, it is transferrable. You will improve your resale value if you buy the maximum, even if you don't plan to keep it that long.

It's hard to say how much it'll get driven, as most of our driving is local - in the East Bay. My wife is starting to leave her recently purchased Q5 at home and take the EV instead. The Q5 is a hybrid, but I'd guess the 1.3kWh battery could take it 2 miles(?).

Given all that, I suspect that in the coming 9 years (!) the Rav4's odometer will go from the current 17k to some 60k - so, time will likely be the deciding factor.
Let's see how things go in the coming year - thanks for the tips,
Ferenc

I emailed Toby a few weeks ago at 35,952. Sprung for the 8 year, 125,000 miles for $1505. Painless transaction, and I received the supporting documents last week. Thanks Toby!

I am going to buy mine too. I am at 35500 or something. I am probably going with the 7 year 125K

6 yr / 75K - $645.00
6 yr / 100K - $895.00
7 yr / 75K - $715.00
7 yr / 100K - $1025.00
7 yr / 125K - $1250.00
8 yr / 75K - $835.00
8 yr / 100K - $1145.00
8 yr / 125K - $1505.00

Back