Update the NAVI with European maps

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pas

I live in Norway, bought a used 2013 RAV4EV two months ago. It now has 29k km. On two months I have added 9k km. Only a couple of minor issues, all fixed. What is not fixed is that a want Nowegian map on NAVI? Does anyone know if that is possible at all?
Paul

Hi Paul,

I am from Austria an wait vor my 2012 RAV4ev (should be in europe in august) .
I am also interest in updating the navigation system. Did you find a solution?

Clemens

Hi!
Checked out with one Toyota dealer, but didn't get any help. I will continue search for a solution. The dealer told me to buy a Garmin GPS... To I am sure there is no way for updating, I'll let the Garmin wait..
Paul

Who is fixing your RAV4ev's minor issues in Europe? I am moving to Madrid next year and need to decide what to do with mine. I won't have more than 18k mi by then and I'm really worried I will have trouble and not have anywhere to go. Navi is the least of my worries. I'm way more concerned I'll have a gateway, motor issue, or charger failure. Then there's the big unknown of charging infrastructure. My brief internet research shows Spain has some chargers but very few fast chargers. Although it looks like Endesa has plans to expand. What charging station app works best in Europe?

My local Toyota dealer took the small things. I really share the problems connected to what you writing. If they show up - I don't think there any else to do than trust Toyota where you are living.. Maybe Mercedes if they are trained om B class ed?
About fast charging in Europe, I know little about outside Norway. Here is ChaDemo and CSS common, as also standard 230V 16A. Not fast.. Now there is also comming up Mode 3, 30A and that is not so bad.
Good luck in Spain!
Paul

JDP said:
Who is fixing your RAV4ev's minor issues in Europe? I am moving to Madrid next year and need to decide what to do with mine. I won't have more than 18k mi by then and I'm really worried I will have trouble and not have anywhere to go. Navi is the least of my worries. I'm way more concerned I'll have a gateway, motor issue, or charger failure. Then there's the big unknown of charging infrastructure. My brief internet research shows Spain has some chargers but very few fast chargers. Although it looks like Endesa has plans to expand. What charging station app works best in Europe?

I assume you own it so I would sell it. No way would I want to deal with RAV issues in Europe. Personally I think it's insane to take one to Europe as one issue could leave you with a 4000 LB paper weight. Feel free to convert to Kilos.

I haven't finished the lease yet, but I still have several options. And because I'll be moving back to the states in a few years I want to keep it as long as possible because this car is so good. Any other EV won't do what this one can do as long as it doesn't break. It's just too good to give up without a fight and with the price of gas in Europe, it may just be worth the risk.

JDP said:
I haven't finished the lease yet, but I still have several options. And because I'll be moving back to the states in a few years I want to keep it as long as possible because this car is so good. Any other EV won't do what this one can do as long as it doesn't break. It's just too good to give up without a fight and with the price of gas in Europe, it may just be worth the risk.

Given this scenario, I'd take the RAV4 for the adventure.

Are you planning to install JdeMO to the car (Europe has more CHAdeMO stations than the US)?

Thanks, Tony. I was hoping you would weigh in considering you know the car as well as anyone.

I am signed up for the first round of Chademo. I think I'm last or almost last on your list for install because I waited so long to buy the car last year. But I'm not planning to use it much right away so I can wait. As for Spain, it's hard to get info for public stations. They seem to be the California of Europe with DCFC based on what I have pieced together thanks to Google translate. The best site I've found so far is chargemap.com. Very similar to plugshare and they have a news section too. It is hard to tell which Chademos are operational and I don't know if the Nissan dealerships there would welcome a Toyota. Also, from the way I interpret some of the info the DCFC stations seems to have a lower power there (~22kW), similar to the 3.7kW Level 2 Shuko plugs. There appears to be a serious and consistent effort to improve infrastructure there from my research that I hope will continue.

Thanks all for replies/thoughts and I'll ask about the Euro Navi on my 10k service in September. -JD

Hi! No positive response from Toyota Norway. They had checked out the cost to fix a US-imported Prius, and it would cost aprox 80.000 NOK! Ca 8700€!! But i'm sure it's wrong. I don't need to get everything changed to eurostandard, only the map.
I have now added 13000 km (total 32000km) and it works just fine!

Good luck with your car! How many km does it have when it reach you?

Paul

So I asked the service rep about the map update aduring my 10k mi visit. He checked with parts department and a few technicians but nobody knew how to get European maps. They suggested checking with a dealership when I get to Europe.

But I was quoted $980 for a new windshield because mine is cracked :shock: . That sounds absurd. Does that sound right?

JDP said:
... I was quoted $980 for a new windshield because mine is cracked :shock: . That sounds absurd. Does that sound right?
A third-party windshield would be cheaper. Also, many people have glass coverage that either has no deductible, or a lower deductible. Call Safelite, or a local auto glass place. Make sure they understand that you have a Rav4EV and not a regular Rav4. I would think the glass from the regular 2012 RAV4 model would work on all the RAV4EV years.

davewill said:
JDP said:
... I was quoted $980 for a new windshield because mine is cracked :shock: . That sounds absurd. Does that sound right?
A third-party windshield would be cheaper. Also, many people have glass coverage that either has no deductible, or a lower deductible. Call Safelite, or a local auto glass place. Make sure they understand that you have a Rav4EV and not a regular Rav4. I would think the glass from the regular 2012 RAV4 model would work on all the RAV4EV years.

officially we have a rain sensor, except that the electronics is disabled :-(

officially we have a rain sensor, except that the electronics is disabled
Per the manual (p. 291), the puck next to the rear-view mirror that looks like a rain sensor is a temperature and humidity sensor used to detect fog on the windshield. I don't believe it's disabled - at the very least, I've had the car automatically turn on the front defog in appropriate situations several times. The same puck is also present on other Toyota cars I've driven that have automatic climate control systems but nevertheless don't have automatic, rain-sensing wipers.

eschatfische said:
officially we have a rain sensor, except that the electronics is disabled
Per the manual (p. 291), the puck next to the rear-view mirror that looks like a rain sensor is a temperature and humidity sensor used to detect fog on the windshield. I don't believe it's disabled - at the very least, I've had the car automatically turn on the front defog in appropriate situations several times. The same puck is also present on other Toyota cars I've driven that have automatic climate control systems but nevertheless don't have automatic, rain-sensing wipers.

I stand corrected
Sorry and thanks!

One of the cosmetic differences between the standard ICE RAV4 windshield and the special RAV4 EV one is that the area behind and around the humidity sensor is blacked out. With the cheaper windshield, you see the back of the sensor from the outside of the vehicle.

Back