Car won't charge / Onboard Charger Failure

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mhkp said:
UPDATE! My car has been at Simi Valley TOYOTA since May 18th. No news as to when it may be ready. I'd be more upset but Toyota is paying for a large comfy SUV rental I'm using to shuttle my kids around to Lego Land and the Grand Canyon while we wait for the Rav4 to be fixed. That being said I'm paying the gas prices and miss my electric car.

At 2 months, on July 18th, I'm thinking of reporting this to someone, but whom? BBB? State off California?

Apparently Tesla doesn't care to fix this and Toyota has no fix for it either....

Melanie Takii
THE BICKEL LAW FIRM, INC.
T: 888.800.1983
F: 888.421.0785
http://www.bickellawfirm.com
[email protected]

I am currently working with them regarding one of my rav4ev's.
I first had the whining sound, started at 2500 miles, (first documented complaint at 5000 miles)
Drive train replaced at 15.000
Within a week of replacement I have a new sound and vibration in my steering wheel.
In a last effort, I drove to another dealer (carson toyota where I bought my 2 rav4ev's) and got the same BS story : "they all have a different character and yours is one of the quieter ones"
In a week from now, I will do one last attempt to get out of this situation, if not:
I already have all the paperwork ready from the above mention lemon law company.
Basically all my lease payments fromt the moment the problem started will be repayed by Toyota.
All the costs for the lawyer will be paid by Toyota. You do have to pay a retainer out of pocket.
They are very thorough, very easy to work with.
Tell them you got their info from the rav4ev forum.
I think you definitely qualify for lemon law.
It is ridiculous how toyota is treating rav4ev owners.

Good luck, and keep us posted please!

I wouldn't waste time on a Toyota paid for arbitration.

Almost two months to replace one part is insane. If you want to get rid of the car, just hire a lawyer like the one above.

The bad part is that there is not "like" replacement.

Hi Tony and everyone else,

So my Rav is at 27,000 miles and about a year of driving (I have a 100 mile commute round trip each day).

This morning I got the "Check EV system" message.. Never had it before... My only worries is I am at 27,000 miles and probably have like 3 months left before out of warranty.

I have dealt with lemon cars before when I had Nissan Armada which had brake issues.

Not sure if my car would qualify for lemon law but I do know you don't have to give them three attempts to fix if the item to fix can be life threatening... Like breaks, steering issues etc... But with an EV I imagine any electrical issue can be life threatening.

I will take it into Toyota in Ontario Monday and see what they say but I am guessing it will be the charger or ECU.

Will keep you all posted. Having to pay gas will kill me with this if car is out... I'm not going to pay 500 per month and have to pay $300 per month for gas as well.

Are these failed chargers running at full 40 amp power or are some failing while on lower power such as 30 amps?

fromport said:
mhkp said:
UPDATE! My car has been at Simi Valley TOYOTA since May 18th. No news as to when it may be ready. I'd be more upset but Toyota is paying for a large comfy SUV rental I'm using to shuttle my kids around to Lego Land and the Grand Canyon while we wait for the Rav4 to be fixed. That being said I'm paying the gas prices and miss my electric car.

At 2 months, on July 18th, I'm thinking of reporting this to someone, but whom? BBB? State off California?

Apparently Tesla doesn't care to fix this and Toyota has no fix for it either....

Melanie Takii
THE BICKEL LAW FIRM, INC.
T: 888.800.1983
F: 888.421.0785
http://www.bickellawfirm.com
[email protected]

I am currently working with them regarding one of my rav4ev's.
I first had the whining sound, started at 2500 miles, (first documented complaint at 5000 miles)
Drive train replaced at 15.000
Within a week of replacement I have a new sound and vibration in my steering wheel.
In a last effort, I drove to another dealer (carson toyota where I bought my 2 rav4ev's) and got the same BS story : "they all have a different character and yours is one of the quieter ones"
In a week from now, I will do one last attempt to get out of this situation, if not:
I already have all the paperwork ready from the above mention lemon law company.
Basically all my lease payments fromt the moment the problem started will be repayed by Toyota.
All the costs for the lawyer will be paid by Toyota. You do have to pay a retainer out of pocket.
They are very thorough, very easy to work with.
Tell them you got their info from the rav4ev forum.
I think you definitely qualify for lemon law.
It is ridiculous how toyota is treating rav4ev owners.

Good luck, and keep us posted please!

I drive 100 miles per day. If they gave me a 4Runner it would cost me $400 extra per month to drive the gas car. That is not acceptable. I contacted the lawyer you provided. If I can get all my payments back plus deposit at least that could help pay for gas for next two years and I can lease a hybrid until Tesla comes out with their new affordable ev.

I need to take the car into the dealership in Ontario to document this...I just worry the keep my car and then I have to start paying for gas.
I have also experienced clicking noise when I drive, it sounds like a wheel related issue at the clicking speeds and slows with the car speed. They fixed it once and now it's back. Also had about ten times where I start the car, put in reverse to back out of garage and car just freezes and won't go in reverse or any gear and I need to restart the car. It has never happened when I am driving. But with my long commute, this is not something I need to take a chance with.

I have dealt with lemon cars and lawyers before. My advice to all of you, don't waste your time with dealerships if you want out of the car. Get a lawyer and start the process. It's best if we all go through the same lawyer as they have more power and proof when there are several people in on it.

I had a Nissan Armada when it first came out and the brakes used were not sufficient. It was a design flaw. You do not need to give dealership three attempts to fix an issue if it is safety related. This is clearly a safety issue, I have a family I need to stay alive for... This car has to go. No repair they offer will make me feel safe.

ghever said:
I have also experienced clicking noise when I drive, it sounds like a wheel related issue at the clicking speeds and slows with the car speed.
They fixed it once and now it's back
I had that too
Turns out the logos on the center wheel hubs are loose.
I took them off and put a little double sided 3M tape underneath and clicking noise is gone

Also had about ten times where I start the car, put in reverse to back out of garage and car just freezes and won't go in reverse or any gear and I need to restart the car. It has never happened when I am driving. But with my long commute, this is not something I need to take a chance with.
It is a nuisance, and it shouldn't happen in car less than 3 years old imho
I have dealt with lemon cars and lawyers before. My advice to all of you, don't waste your time with dealerships if you want out of the car. Get a lawyer and start the process. It's best if we all go through the same lawyer as they have more power and proof when there are several people in on it.

I had a Nissan Armada when it first came out and the brakes used were not sufficient. It was a design flaw. You do not need to give dealership three attempts to fix an issue if it is safety related. This is clearly a safety issue, I have a family I need to stay alive for... This car has to go. No repair they offer will make me feel safe.

Carmax currently has 5 rav4ev's for sale.
They all have a notification for the recall, does that mean that can't sell them currently ?
I agree that united we are stronger. But there is not a real alternative atm if you turn the rav4ev in.
I am lucky I have 2, my other one <knock wood> still drives the day it left the dealer lot. and is 1 year old atm.

I have almost 28000 miles on the car in a year.. I drive a ton.

No ev alternative sure... Not with similar range. If have to buy a hybrid most likely. But getting that extra $6000 back would be nice, but I wonder if they make us pay back the California rebate.

My experience tells me this issue will not be fixed, Toyota has no interest in this EV.

We will just keep getting patches... Question is, what if something happens to one of us where it goes into neutral while we are driving and we have an accident.

It's just not worth my risk.

ghever said:
No ev alternative sure... Not with similar range.
I agree

If have to buy a hybrid most likely. But getting that extra $6000 back would be nice, but I wonder if they make us pay back the California rebate.
Pro rated: one year old -> pay back 2/3 of the amount you received

My experience tells me this issue will not be fixed, Toyota has no interest in this EV.
We will just keep getting patches... Question is, what if something happens to one of us where it goes into neutral while we are driving and we have an accident.

It is crazy we have recall notice that says that we shouldn't be using the car if possible, but yet we have to pay the lease every month.
And that is how many months now ?

fromport said:
ghever said:
No ev alternative sure... Not with similar range.
I agree

If have to buy a hybrid most likely. But getting that extra $6000 back would be nice, but I wonder if they make us pay back the California rebate.
Pro rated: one year old -> pay back 2/3 of the amount you received

It is crazy we have recall notice that says that we shouldn't be using the car if possible, but yet we have to pay the lease every month.
And that is how many months now ?

That's why a lawyer may be the only solution.

Adding my name to the list of "car wont' charge, check ev system" error...
24,xxx miles on it. Car has been in dealership for about 3 days now, I really hope it won't take 2 months to get it back.

After 1 week, rep got back to me says I need another motor replacement. (had one done last month)
At least this one will arrive within the week, last one took over 3 months...

Fingers crossed.

Sounds familiar... Mine did the same thing.. First fix didn't work, second
Fix finally solved the issue. I haven't had any charging issues since that last fix, been about 17,000 miles... One more year left on the lease... Wonder if these cars are worth anything at least end with all these issues, 16,000 residual is high considering my car will have around 80,000 miles.

Got the car back, everything seems to be working.
I have the warranty until 2021, wonder how many more motor replacement will be done before toyota (or tesla) says enough is enough?

Having this problem. Literally just purchased 2013 Rav4EV 16,900 miles on it, drove home and plugged in. Charging failed after about 5 minutes on 120v. Charged fine previously. Tried both blink and evgo 240v with same result. Taking to dealership tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Add me to the list.

My 2013 Toyota Rav4 EV on 85,000 miles stopped charging with "Charging Malfunction" message on the dashboard. Toyota Sunnyvale concluded that onboard charger needs to be replaced. It will cost around $5600. Not covered by warranty.

You mean they won’t honor the recall on it? Or was there never a recall? This has happened to a ton of cars I can’t believe they want to charge you. That’s why I got rid of mine toyota and Tesla don’t work very well together.

I am not aware of any recall related to the charing unit. I double checked with dealership. If you have any information saying otherwise, I am happy to chase them down to get an answer.

It’s an issue on many of the ravs I’m surprised they never had a recall... it’s been a while so I don’t remember if there was one or not. Glad I made it through my lease as I had issues at like 30k miles and ended up with 75 k miles. Was easily past warranty. Happy to be done with that car.

Back