Car show fact sheet?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

Hello Everyone,

This may seem random but I'm wondering if anyone has made up a fact sheet that you display at car shows. I am taking my Rav ev to a show in a couple weeks and I thought a window sign would be nice. Every time I go to shows with the Rav I get a ton of people asking questions. It would be nice to have a sign to put up.

Thanks!

D5912330-0936-4C00-9EFF-C81195B858FB-9564-0000046698A808BC.jpg

Re. the sheet in Tony's photo: Weren't the RAV4EV components built at the Tesla facility in Palo Alto, not Fremont? I think that Fremont has just been used for Model S (and soon Mod X) production.

jimbo69ny said:
What do you guys think?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-tGoeu0wLVTVVBUXBUMTd4Skk/view?usp=sharing

Real nice

I would alter this part though:

Uses thousand of “AA” size batteries, Panasonic 18650 / 2900mah cells

220px-Liion-18650-AA-battery.jpg

The size is imho considerably larger than AA

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

Further:
The battery is made by Tesla
They were made by Panasonic for Tesla (on Tesla's specs)

about JDEMO:
Due to the costs involved Toyota/Tesla decided not to incorporate CHAdeMO charging.
That is only an assumption. A logical one, but we don't know

It will allow me to fully charge my battery from empty in only 40 minutes!
A normal Nissan QC charger charges at 115 amps max. Depending on start/end voltage it is about 40-42 kW of charging.
So an empty battery pack will need about an hour to charge with 41.8 kWh available.

fromport said:
I would alter this part though:

Uses thousand of “AA” size batteries, Panasonic 18650 / 2900mah cells

The size is imho considerably larger than AA

Yes, it's larger, but the consumer needs something that they can relate to. You could say that the cells are "slightly larger" that AA batteries.

The battery is made by Tesla
They were made by Panasonic for Tesla (on Tesla's specs)

Well, Panasonic cells produced in Japan and assembled into car battery packs by Tesla. In the future, these cells will be produced near Reno, Nevada at the Tesla Gigafactory.

about JDEMO:
Due to the costs involved Toyota/Tesla decided not to incorporate CHAdeMO charging.
That is only an assumption. A logical one, but we don't know

Well, there's no place to mount the CHAdeMO inlet on the existing Rav4 body, without changing body tooling (dies). That is grossly expensive, and not appropriate to a 2600 unit production run. That's at least part of the reason that the J1772 in behind the gasoline door.

Putting it on the nose, which would make LOTS of sense, since they made a custom nose cone, would make sense, but they couldn't even be bothered to make access to the tow hook mounts. Lazy and dumb.

It will allow me to fully charge my battery from empty in only 40 minutes!
A normal Nissan QC charger charges at 115 amps max. Depending on start/end voltage it is about 40-42 kW of charging.
So an empty battery pack will need about an hour to charge with 41.8 kWh available.

At 120 amps, about 36kW at 300v to 45.8kW absolute max at 382v.

So, I just use 40kW as my composite charge rate to 75% SOC, which means 45 minutes to 75%-80% from "dead" (30kWh added).

That is 100 miles range in 45 minutes (at 3.4 miles per kWh at 65mph without heater use).

To add the remaining 11.8kWh will take about 30 additional minutes. Probably too much info on the that sheet, however.

I would leave it at "100 miles added in 45 minutes".

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, it's larger, but the consumer needs something that they can relate to. You could say that the cells are "slightly larger" that AA batteries.
Volume AA = 14.5x50.5 = 8339 mm2
Volume 18650 = 18x65 = 16540 mm2
so 18650 is twice volume of AA.
I would not call that "slightly larger" but that is just me.

Well, Panasonic cells produced in Japan and assembled into car battery packs by Tesla. In the future, these cells will be produced near Reno, Nevada at the Tesla Gigafactory.

stating that the rav4ev batteries were made by Tesla is in-accurate.

Well, there's no place to mount the CHAdeMO inlet on the existing Rav4 body, without changing body tooling (dies). That is grossly expensive, and not appropriate to a 2600 unit production run. That's at least part of the reason that the J1772 in behind the gasoline door.

Putting it on the nose, which would make LOTS of sense, since they made a custom nose cone, would make sense, but they couldn't even be bothered to make access to the tow hook mounts. Lazy and dumb.
I agree
But Tesla has never done something with Chademo and probably would refuse to work on that.
They certainly didn't want to give access to the Tesla Superchargers.
So stating it was too expensive is imho not correct.

At 120 amps, about 36kW at 300v to 45.8kW absolute max at 382v.
I gave the example with the most common Chademo charger: the nissan's which only go 115 amps.
So 300x115= 34.5 kW to 43.9 kW, and above 82% it will taper down so we never get the high numbers.

So, I just use 40kW as my composite charge rate to 75% SOC, which means 45 minutes to 75%-80% from "dead" (30kWh added).
That is 100 miles range in 45 minutes (at 3.4 miles per kWh at 65mph without heater use).

That is a much better reference
Although I understand most people don't let the battery go below 20% charge (about 20 miles of range, just before low battery comes on). Charging from 20% to 82% (begin tapering off) is what you normally would do on Chademo.
That would be about 45 minutes when I use the Jdemo

To add the remaining 11.8kWh will take about 30 additional minutes. Probably too much info on the that sheet, however.
I would leave it at "100 miles added in 45 minutes".

Agree

you don't want to get to technical for the "avg consumer". KISS ;)

We printed some up for yesterday's Long Beach event.. it worked well.

Sad that today there's not going to be an area with our EV's shown... we' not even taking the Rav and the Leaf ($15 parking each!)

we're taking the train in... only exhibitors and manf are showing... everyone else get's shoved into lots on the far end of the park.

This kinda sucks! :(

Yest in LB...

2e54ed306f6adddc4dbfbb6b003fa345.jpg

Bill's original Rav with 260k on the OD and going strong.. :cry:
http://www.pluginamerica.org/remembering-william-korthof

The guy who owns it now is VERY cool and plans to get a new pack for it!
95ffcd2b3283729ba2af153cd32cd147.jpg

Awwww Jeremy Awwww
6224201d46a3450b3754b14c8a7b8176.jpg

Back