Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JasonA said:
When we were testing the JdeMO on my Rav (which has had ZERO issues) the night leaving from Tony's the damn thing would not power up and not want to kick in to charge.

Tons of 12v resets and power on and off cycles later... it "woke up"....

Never an issue since ;)

When I had a charger issue like this, JdeMO worked perfectly, so I just charged at the local CHAdeMO stations for about a week, hoping the issue might go away.

It didn't, and I got a new onboard (Tesla) charger.

We installed JdeMO on a car in Seattle, and had something similar to JasonA's car... it just wouldn't turn on, after numerous resets with 12 volt disconnect. Like JasonA's car, there was no logical reason why. After about 30 minutes, it magically worked fine, and to my knowledge, there hasn't been a repeat.

It's a Toyota / Tesla Easter Egg !!!

I tried resetting by turning car on and off ... I then tried the regular charger provided and that didn't work.. Tried manually charging, scheduled charging.. Nothing works... Car had 30 miles left, drove it fine today to sons tennis and then called to have it towed.

I charge at 40 amps every day without any issues.

Until they "fixed" my traction motor which gave me a check EV system error message... now the car won't charge, not at 40 amp, not with the regular charger provided by Toyota.. Not sure what the 12 v reset is but honestly I bought a car that should be reliable, not one I have to tinker with every day due to various errors.

It'll be interesting to see what the diagnosis is. If they replace the unit or just a simple "reset"/ FW upgrade.

If this happens next time and you're able to, pull the 12v + cable from the battery for a min or 2 and then try it again.

;)

So car got towed Saturday.. Got it back yesterday and they said it had following errors:
P312F and U0146.

They said they reprogrammed drive invert ecu and performed F01 software update.

Well, drove car yesterday and this morning without issues... Turn car on to go back home and guess what...
"CHECK EV SYSTEM"..... Again!!!!

Starting to get a little pissed off.

ghever said:
So car got towed Saturday.. Got it back yesterday and they said it had following errors:
P312F and U0146.

They said they reprogrammed drive invert ecu and performed F01 software update.

Well, drove car yesterday and this morning without issues... Turn car on to go back home and guess what...
"CHECK EV SYSTEM"..... Again!!!!

Starting to get a little pissed off.

first: I can imagine your frustration.
It's not like Toyota or Tesla don't know how to make cars.
Just this products is not stable (for quite a lot of people) and they don't care, finger pointing at each other.
I think your car could be the beginning of the recall on the recall ;-)

I have a long commute, I cannot be spending all this time taking the car back and forth to dealer. To make things worse a rock cracked my windshield on way home today.

Let's see what he dealer comes up with this time... My patience is running thin. Imagine I am already at 30,000 miles... Only 6000 to go before its out of warranty.

ghever said:
I have a long commute, I cannot be spending all this time taking the car back and forth to dealer. To make things worse a rock cracked my windshield on way home today.

Let's see what he dealer comes up with this time... My patience is running thin. Imagine I am already at 30,000 miles... Only 6000 to go before its out of warranty.
U0146 and U1146 are gateway codes. You will probably need a new Gateway ECU. It is covered under the Powertrain Warranty which IIRC is 5yr/60kmi. Demand a loaner and tell them they have to take it on X number of test drives separated by some minimum amount of time in order for you to be satisfied that it is fixed. Let's say 5 test drives of at least 10 minutes each with 30 minutes in between.

miimura said:
ghever said:

U0146 and U1146 are gateway codes. You will probably need a new Gateway ECU. It is covered under the Powertrain Warranty which IIRC is 5yr/60kmi. Demand a loaner and tell them they have to take it on X number of test drives separated by some minimum amount of time in order for you to be satisfied that it is fixed. Let's say 5 test drives of at least 10 minutes each with 30 minutes in between.

So they only reprogrammed it instead of replacing ? I mean I don't mind taking it back if it will keep giving the same error codes... Two more attempts to fix and they have to order a new ECU which should take another 2 weeks at minimum... I honestly don't see how this car works out for me at this point.. Shame because there is no other like car out there.

Car won't charge again... Have to get towed again tomorrow morning... I've had all sorts of cars from Nissan to Chevy corvettes to Honda... I can honestly say I have never had this many issues with a car before...

Dealer claims car charges "fine" on their levitron chargers and is asking what specs of my charger is. I quickly pointed out I tried to charge on their own supplied 120v cable and car still wouldn't charge. And as Tony stated in the past, are we expected to only charge at levitron stations? Please.... I've been charging without any issues so to blame a charger is insane.

And as pointed out my error messages are Gateway errors and probably an ECU issue... The pointing fingers continues and nobody wants to accept responsibility.

ghever said:
The pointing fingers continues and nobody wants to accept responsibility.

If you want to get rid of this nuisance, lemon law layers.
But there isn't a real alternative unless you can afford a real Tesla.
And still, I would want my dogs in the back of a Tesla, where as the RAV4EV is just fine.

This really utterly s*cks...

So dealer finally admitted that they couldn't get the car to charge either or they finally noticed it not charging... And today they said they have to redo the traction motor again... Was just replaced two weeks ago after I had to wait two weeks for it... Who knows how long this will take.

I'm getting the same error now for the first time @24K miles. DARN IT! I have a problem because the nearest EV-certified dealer from Fresno is in San Luis Obispo, almost 150 miles away... not even in driving range /sigh

Happy to report that it just needed the firmware update & that fixed the error code! Drove to Toyota of San Luis Obispo, they did a great job in taking care of my Rav4EV =)

khaliss said:
Happy to report that it just needed the firmware update & that fixed the error code! Drove to Toyota of San Luis Obispo, they did a great job in taking care of my Rav4EV =)

Toyota SLO tends to a get a lot of mixed reviews. I initially took my RAV4 EV there, but for the last repair which required a new gateway ECU and a firmware update I started taking my RAV4 EV to Toyota Santa Maria which seems a bit more customer service oriented. Toyota SLO refused to give me a loaner (Toyota SM gave me a Prius loaner) for a repair (check EV light) that ended up taking about three weeks.

I am surprised that in an area as large as Fresno there is no Toyota dealer that can work on the RAV4 EV. The dealerships on the Central Coast have less experience with the RAV4 EV but they do have Prius qualified techs that are also certified for the RAV4 EV.

strange how you had a negative experience & mine the opposite! They gave me a Camry loaner from Enterprise Rent-a-car for a day which I drove to Fresno & back (didn't wanna stay overnight at SLO). Chris, the service advisor, was straight forward to deal. I believe only dealers who sold Rav4EVs are certified to work on them... we have two Fresno dealers that sell the Prius PIP, but both of them refused to get their hands dirty with the Rav4EV.

I just had for the second time this warning and total loss of traction.
A shudder through the car, i was driving about 35miles/h
Since there was so much traffic behind me, I immediately started the 3 x power off/on procedure to see if I could restart it. That worked and I was able to pull to the side of the road took a picture of the "check EV " message
What I didn't take a picture off was that it said it had no range/charge etc etc.
Real bummer that you are in panic mode and you just want to get "out of the way" of traffic.

The first time it happened I was 100 miles away from home, had nothing to loose and drove it home.
Had the software update for the recall done and now this again.

I used the SOS button, was connected (after 3+ minutes) to towing department.
They said a tow truck would pull up "within an hour"
2 hours 20 minutes later it showed up.
After a certain time the automated voice system promised "within 20 minutes"
40 minutes after that another automated call "within 10 minutes"

Today wasn't a good day.
Curious what the Toyota dealer tomorrow will tell me.

fromport said:
Curious what the Toyota dealer tomorrow will tell me.

They reset the error codes: 4-1146 & 4-0293 "lost communication"
drove 6 miles and declared it healthy
rav4ev_check_ev_repair_order_small.png

2 strikes, one to go.

Back