RECALL: going into neutral / Speed Sensor failure

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some positive news for those of us in WA or outside of California. I got an email from Kevin Spillane of Toyota that reads:

"Good afternoon Mr. _______,

Thank you so much for reaching out to me regarding your RAV4 EV and the F0I recall completion. I am working with our internal and Portland Field engineers to coordinate a time frame we may complete this for you.

If I could ask you to let me know what would be your preferred Toyota Dealer to utilize, to perform this update and one alternative dealer.

Either myself or the dealer will be in contact with you, once we have some dates available.

Again, thank you for your time.

Regards,

Kevin"

Kevin J. Spillane
Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
Case Manager-Special project/SSC
PH:310-974-7545
FX:310-381-6858

Phatcat73 said:
It's been over 2 weeks since I've seen that email from Kevin...still waiting. Hopefully you'll have better luck

Less than 24 hours later, I got a follow up from Kevin saying my appointment is set for November 11th at Toyota of Kirkland (WA) and asked me to confirm that day was OK... which of course I did.
----------
Thank you for the response and you are more than welcome! I am certainly pleased to hear of your positive Rav4 EV experience!

We have coordinated a visit by a Portland Regional Factory Engineer to Toyota of Kirkland to complete the recall for your vehicle on November 11th. We would ask for you to drop the vehicle off there the night of the 10th or first thing in the morning of the 11th and it will be completed by the end of the day. They would ask to keep the vehicle overnight to the 12th, only if additional testing is necessary. We will have the dealer contact you as to when the vehicle is ready to be picked up and of course if it is necessary to keep it overnight.

As for the wiper arm recall, this is in an interim status and Toyota is preparing the necessary parts. You will be notified when the remedy is available and of course it could be completed, if in fact the remedy is launched before this date. It will require a separate visit if it is not available by that date. Fortunately, to my knowledge, this recall will be able to be performed by any Toyota dealer, as it is not a RAV4 EV specific component.

Please let me know if this date works for you.

Appreciate your time,

Kevin
----------------------------

I spoke to my Toyota dealer in Austria two weeks ago. He told me that the special hardware needed (I think its the cable) is on the way to a german RAV4ev an after the german I will get my update.
I will tell you.
kind regards from Austria!

Hi all,

Took my Rav4 EV to Longo Toyota on Saturday and got the recall done. Ask to have the tech checkout the hum from EV Motor. Well just got a call from Longo this morning and looks like they have a Traction Motor on order for me. Does anyone have experience with time it takes to replace the motor?

Thanks,

Chan

banshee08 said:
Hi all,

Took my Rav4 EV to Longo Toyota on Saturday and got the recall done. Ask to have the tech checkout the hum from EV Motor. Well just got a call from Longo this morning and looks like they have a Traction Motor on order for me. Does anyone have experience with time it takes to replace the motor?

Thanks,

Chan
The amount of time to get the traction motor from Tesla varies from 1 to 6 weeks. After they have the parts, they should call you to make an appointment and do the swap in one day.

Wow 1 to 6 weeks. Hope its the 1 to 2 weeks. One day to swap sounds like a short time. Will they need to drain out the G48 fluid?

Thanks,

Chan Banh

They will at least have to purge the air from the G48 coolant lines. Whether they completely replace the coolant probably depends on the age/mileage. My guess is they will keep as much as possible in the system and just bleed and refill as necessary.

banshee08 said:
Wow 1 to 6 weeks. Hope its the 1 to 2 weeks. One day to swap sounds like a short time. Will they need to drain out the G48 fluid?

Thanks,

Chan Banh
Well, I haven't heard of a car actually failing from the noise, so I just went ahead and kept driving it while waiting for the motor to come in. The dealer was willing to give me a loaner, and tried to discourage me from taking it, but I'd rather drive my own car.

davewill said:
banshee08 said:

Thanks,

Chan Banh
Well, I haven't heard of a car actually failing from the noise, so I just went ahead and kept driving it while waiting for the motor to come in. The dealer was willing to give me a loaner, and tried to discourage me from taking it, but I'd rather drive my own car.

I hear ya on driving your own car. My wife's Ford Focus EV just had the "Stop Safely Now" issue and they replaced 2 harnesses in the motor compartment but took like 3 days to complete. Wife complained about the smell of gas and having to fill up the damn car on the last day. How we forget the shear filth of ICE.

I have contacted, or a least attempted to, both Kirkland Toyota and Kevin to attempt to get into the Nov. 11 recall service. I know I am late but was out on vacation.

So at this point, I might be on the schedule for the recall service tomorrow. Might, because Kirkland Toyota says they cannot schedule the Corporate tech and Corporate says they don't do the scheduling for the dealership service. And Kevin never called me back.
Still, I have a case number so hopefully that will close the loop and mine will be done tomorrow with the group.

SeattleRAV4 - I'm taking mine over this afternoon for tomorrow's 'fix'.
You might want to do the same thing. Drop off at service before 7 pm and someone is there. After 7 pm you can leave it in the service line and put the key in the locked drop box along with a note.
I would not miss this chance and woud show up with the car tonight and leave it if possible. Tech is supposed to start working 1st thing in the AM....

TOYESLA

BTW, I got the notification letter for the washer recall yesterday, but no info on what the fix will be or when..

I managed to get my Rav4 into the group recall service in Kirkland. Unfortunately the tech decided it required a new ECU which will take a few days to get from California. Fortunately they gave me (actually my son since I am currently in Australia) a new Prius as a loaner.

Glad you were able to get your car in for the recall at Kirkland. (For you CA folks, can you name the famous company from here?)

They said they had 5 RAV4 EV's in for the recall work. Sorry yours will need more work, bugt really fortunate they took care of you.

Mine was done, but they didn't put the sticker under the hood. I spoke with the service manager who said he'd contact the regional EV tech and request them for all of us.

Back