Out of State service

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I have not seen anywhere in the warranty language where they agreed to provide a loaner car. That didn't seem like a big deal when it took a couple of days to fix my car. Now that I am rapidly approaching 2 months, it is a much bigger deal.

On that subject, I stopped by the dealership on Sunday to retrieve my sunglasses from my car. Out of habit, I checked the battery level. "Lo" got my attention!
I called yesterday and asked that they put it on the charger. The "Service Advisor" said he would and they would call back to confirm it was done. No call so far.

SeattleRav4 said:
Actually, I have not seen anywhere in the warranty language where they agreed to provide a loaner car. That didn't seem like a big deal when it took a couple of days to fix my car. Now that I am rapidly approaching 2 months, it is a much bigger deal.

Page 3 of your extended warranty booklet.

toyotawarrantypg3.PNG

Your "Agreement Information" page should specify the limits.

First, I don't have an extended warranty. Yet

Second, I just talked with the dealer. They called yesterday to say it was fixed. It just needed an overnight charge and a test drive. I was not happy about the charge part since I stopped on Sunday to retrieve my sunglasses and the GOM was showing "Lo". I called early Monday and they said they would charge it.

Worse, the test drive apparently showed they have not fixed the problem. I am guessing the new drive unit did not include new CV joints which I suspected and still suspect.

That is an unbelievable poor shop. So few moving parts, yet they seem stymied.

Our #3021 is in eastern Washington with a leaking gear box. Of the four Tesla powered cars in my stable, two have had the motors replaced, and one has had a leaking seal in the gearbox.

I sent a note to Kevin Spillane, explaining the leaking gear box, and cc'd the local dealer. Let's see what happens.

i cannot blame the shop, they are really just providing a bay for the Toyota EV Technician. Well, they did not do it right the first time, but since then it has been all Toyota.

They did call again last night to say it was done, again, but they wanted to test drive it today, again.
I am hoping they well give me a list of what was replaced so we at least get some usable data from 2 months in the shop.

The worst part is that I could really use the Quick charge capability this weekend to go to Bellingham but it won't be installed.

The shop called to say the car was done. When I texted my wife, she asked if that meant as in toast or ready to be picked up. :)
Now to see if I can find out what was done.

Good news! I picked up my Rav4EV last night. The only differences I can see from when I dropped it off, the thump is gone, there is a waste cup of sunflower seeds in the console, and it feels like the steering is tighter.
After 2 months, to Toyota's credit, they did not charge me for the service, the original reason I took the car in.

The service manager said they replaced the drive unit, which from his description sounded like the gearbox. He said they had 2 hitches, the tech failed to tighten all the bolts and so the second test drive still had a thump. They also had an issue where replaced coolant "burped". From what I could tell, that meant they lost a bunch of it and had to refill.

I am hoping Kevin will be able to give me more specifics on what was done.

The bottom line is that while it took a lot of patience and frankly money on alternate transportation, Toyota fixed my out of state Rav4EV under warranty. Whew!

Hurray! Takes a bit of a load off my mind, knowing they (finally) came through for you.

It's REALLY too bad it was 4 days after Tony & Bob were here. However, since I think Tony is still in state, maybe you could get your JdeMO installed before he heads back to SoCal. They could drive Bob's JdeMO equipped RAV4 EV here, install yours, and Tony could grab a from SeaTac. I'd bring mine by for the gathering, and I bet a few other owners who couldn't make it to my place would show up too.

To those who have had service at a out of state toyota dealer for repair, I have called around the salt lake area and non of them seem to know about the traveling repair guys to preform any warranty/recall repairs. When i called toyota corp they said they could do it by sending someone out to the dealership to preform the repair. The dealership called their toyota reps and seem to be clueless about this. How have other out of state owners initiated your rav4 ev getting serviced at a toyota dealer?

csugar21 said:
To those who have had service at a out of state toyota dealer for repair, I have called around the salt lake area and non of them seem to know about the traveling repair guys to preform any warranty/recall repairs. When i called toyota corp they said they could do it by sending someone out to the dealership to preform the repair. The dealership called their toyota reps and seem to be clueless about this. How have other out of state owners initiated your rav4 ev getting serviced at a toyota dealer?

Call / write Kevin Spillane at Toyota USA in Torrance, California. He will set it up.

I have read on the forum that there was at least one traction motor replacement out-of-state, can someone confirm that they had powertrain waranty work done out of state? Was it diffricult to deal with toyota?

Thanks

TonyWilliams said:
ThePoorManTesla said:
I have read on the forum that there was at least one traction motor replacement out-of-state, can someone confirm that they had powertrain waranty work done out of state? Was it diffricult to deal with toyota?

Thanks

Yes, one was done in Washington state.

and at least 2 have been done here in New Jersey (mine included) No problems dealing with Toyota.

Kirkland Toyota in Kirkland WA did mine. They called it the "Drive Unit" but did not give me any additional details.
The only "problem" I had was that it took 2 months, some of it due to the dealer figuring out how to work on the Rav4EV but most waiting for the replacement drive unit. They said they had to wait for one to be rebuilt. My impression is that as each unit fails, it is sent back, rebuilt, then put back in another Rav4 and the cycle continues. Perhaps we can coordinate failures so we don't overwhelm the rebuild process. :)

It seems good news, it now seems easier to get out-of-state service now. I read less often post with people having problems getting service...and if there is one someone here redirect him to Kevin and most often we don't hear back. Delay for getting part is another story...

ThePoorManTesla said:
It seems good news, it now seems easier to get out-of-state service now. I read less often post with people having problems getting service...and if there is one someone here redirect him to Kevin and most often we don't hear back. Delay for getting part is another story...

Toyota no longer has to deal with worrying about CARB-ZEV credits (except leases need to go 36 months).

So, hopefully, they will default to their well earned reputation of customer service instead of antagonizing EV owners and out-of-state dealers (we have two strikes... Toyota is openly anti-EV, and they never wanted to sell them to begin with... ok, three strikes; the Tesla relationship has soured).

My last phone conversation with Kevin indicated a thawing of treating out-of-state owners like the enemy, and more like customers.

We had #3021 serviced in Washington, and of course, Toyota USA stiffed the dealer for Toyota Care. The dealer has mentioned that to me several times.

Then, we had an oil leak, and we had to go through the entire denied, appeal, beg, phone call, phone call, phone call, email, email, email, then once they gave the ok in Torrance, it just took a few days to get fixed.

Far from ideal, but better than where we started almost three years ago.

ThePoorManTesla said:

...One guy, in the entire organization, with (some) authority of arranging your EV to be serviced outside of California. For all out-of-state RAV4 EV owners, I hope "Kevin" doesn't take a job with Honda.

Clearly, the RAV4 EV was a compliance car; a stop-gap CAFE measure to keep Tundras & Sequoias rolling out the door. Now that their fuel-cell technology is becoming a reality, Toyota will soon forget the Tesla partnership ever existed - which is sad because of the incredible brand value that Tesla has, and properly leveraged, these Toyeslas would be flying out the door. The problem is, Toyota probably has to sell them for $80,000 each to make a profit.

I think most people that first heard about the RAV4 EV (including myself) thought WOW!!!...famous Toyota reliability paired with a Tesla drivetrain. An real alternative to the Model X SUV for $50,000 or less. It almost sells itself.

Just bought a used 2014 model in Colorado, and tried the heat today: no heat. I emailed Kevin Spillane and my local dealer. Very disappointing! I didn't think to try it on the test drives since it was hot those days.

Back