Just bought used 2014 Silver Rav4 EV in Boulder, Colorado!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeymammoth

Just drove it home! It has 14,800 miles on it. It was overpriced, but as it's the only one in Colorado, I didn't want to deal with trying to buy it cheaper in CA somehow.

I was also looking at a new Mercedes b-class electric, but since it's a new car, it would have been a little more expensive. Also, the dealer is an hour away, which is a pain. It's a much smaller car but had a really mushy accelerator, so didn't perform as well as I would like.

I already own a 2007 V6 Rav4, which I love. Hilariously, it's also silver.

I still need to do the latest firmware upgrade recall, so that'll be a test of out of state service. I hope I don't run into the litany of problems these cars seem prone to. I don't know if the engine makes acceptable noises vs. unacceptable noises, for example. Wish me luck.

Ramona

I'm not sure. I'm down in CSprings and there's several in Denver.

Make sure you apply for your $6,000 state tax credit--it applies to used cars as long as the car was titled in Colorado for the first time. It's a depreciated value but based on battery size so you should still get the full amount with a Rav4 EV.

http://electricridecolorado.com/get_set/my_home/ready-your-home/colorado-tax-credits

Kevin Spillane from corporate called me back and he's getting the ball rolling for a repair, so that's a relief!!

I'm living in Denver and am in the market for a used electric car. BMW corporate treated me horribly with a parts issue [$3,400 5-series transfer case that died TWICE and they would do nothing], so the i3 is out. I'm leaning toward the RAV4E. I have an AWD gas-powered car for cold weather, long trips and parts delays. I've read many posts here and elsewhere and have concerns based upon being out of CA.

I have three questions I'd really appreciate answers to:
1. As an outside of CA owner, would you buy it again based upon what you now know?
2. Who in CO [dealer or independent shop] has been good for service/repairs?
3. Did someone ultimately discover a local dealer to purchase the Platinum warranty thru?

Thank you in advance!

1. Yes, I would buy it again. I just really like the car. The car did sit in the shop for a month, but once it started working again, it's been solid.
2. For warranty service, you need to go to your Toyota dealer. You should just go to your local dealer and they will call in the regional (Denver) technician to do any work on it. So it doesn't really matter where you take it since the regional tech will need to be involved. If you have out-of-state service, you should also contact Kevin Spillane in corporate to make sure Toyota takes care of you. Technically, Toyota maintains that only trained mechanics in CA can service the car, and Toyota is being "nice" by even servicing it for you locally. I'm not sure how that would stand up in court, but no one has had to legally fight with Toyota over service.
3. I ordered the extended warranty over the phone from that Lexus dealer in LA (forget his name).

FYI, I did change the tires on the Rav, and that improved handling slightly, but really, it's not the best handling for some reason. My old 2007 AWD Rav4 handled better so I wonder if it's related to missing AWD or what. NOT a good snow car.

Count me as one more here in Denver. 2013 bought last month with 17,500 on it. I just love be this car. That said, this forum has me terrified about what happens when it breaks down, especially because I read that Kevin Spillane is no longer around to help. So far so good though, fingers crossed. I love the way it drives!

Welcome! My brother moved to Colorado Springs with his silver RAV4 EV.

I wouldn't worry about the repair issues. Toyota has good support, and Kevin Spillane has been replaced. Nobody has been left stranded yet!!!

That being said, you have a unique vehicle, and it will take more effort on your behalf to get things done.

There has already been one battery failure in Colorado, and Toyota shipped the car back to California for a new battery.

There's been another battery failure in Portland (w/JdeMO) and Toyota is doing the same. My brother had the motor replaced in Washington (w/JdeMO). You'll be fine in the worst case scenario.

You may need to train your local dealer a little, and we will help.

Welcome aboard.

White 2012. Almost 60k... zero issues. *Knocks on wood. In Littleton, CO. Throw some good snows on it, and its awesome in the snow IMO. Being able to warm up the car on a cold day without having to open garage so you dont kill your fam is a nice plus too.

I've been loving my EV Rav4 since last October (2016). I've put about 4000 miles on it (currently 37K) and no big problems. There are a couple minor things that don't bother me but I wonder about: At lowish speeds I get some whine and sometime also a little bounce. Anybody else get these?

I also need to get recall rear belt seat belt fix and would like to have the "regular" service of tightening bolts, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for local service?

I'm in East Denver and tried Stevinson Toyota East a few times. They somehow always "lose" me so I feel I should look around for a more reliable place.

thanks,

LL

DenverRav4EV said:
I've been loving my EV Rav4 since last October (2016). I've put about 4000 miles on it (currently 37K) and no big problems. There are a couple minor things that don't bother me but I wonder about: At lowish speeds I get some whine and sometime also a little bounce. Anybody else get these?

I also need to get recall rear belt seat belt fix and would like to have the "regular" service of tightening bolts, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for local service

LL

I just bought mine used here in PA. (I grew up in Woodland Park, CO) It also has the motor noise at low speeds and after reading this forum often, it appears it's the beginning of the end. I'll live with it as long as I can and then process the warranty claim before that's too late.

Back