Level 1 vs. Level 2 Charging to Minimize Battery Degradation

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwardrip

I'm a new RAV4 EV owner and have a question about the best way to charge in order to minimize degradation.

I'm sure this has probably been discussed, but after a few hours of searching and reading many different threads on this forum and others, I don't have a definitive answer. I would like to know: in order to minimize battery degradation on the RAV4 EV, which charging method is the best? Level 1 or Level 2?

I understand the advantages of Level 2 (charge time, more efficient in terms of kWh consumed, more robust plugs/receptacles). But, does Level 1 help keep the battery fresher for longer since the temperature is lower during charging compared to Level 2 or does it not really matter in people's experience?

Thanks!

Both rates, level 1 and 2, are considered low charge rate for our large battery pack and do not add heat because of the charging process. Additionally, our thermally managed pack keeps the battery within certain limits to maintain long life to deal with ambient conditions.

So I don't see any benefit from charging at level 1 in terms of maximizing your battery's life.

Back