RECALL: going into neutral / Speed Sensor failure

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry_in_Seattle said:
For you CA folks, can you name the famous company from here?

I think that would be Costco?

It's good to hear Toyota is stepping up to the plate and repairing out of state RAV4 EV's even it is a bit more of a hassle.

swogee said:
Larry_in_Seattle said:
For you CA folks, can you name the famous company from here?
I think that would be Costco?

And you would be right!

I'm not convinced that Toyota will be any better with 'normal' service work on our out of state cars, though. This is a federally mandated recall, so they had to suck it up. Having heard of folks, including local ones in WA, getting new ECU's and other parts, it does seem that they've lightened up a bit and that is great news for us folks in Cascadia.

The funny thing is the note I received said the Gateway ECU could not be shipped by plane so it would take a few days.
Is there something in the Gate ECU that cannot be shipped via air?
Or is this BS to cover that it would take a few days to get one from Tesla?
I don't really care since they gave me a loaner but I thought the note was funny.

SeattleRav4 said:
Is there something in the Gate ECU that cannot be shipped via air?
Or is this BS to cover that it would take a few days to get one from Tesla?

Maybe Toyota is too cheap to pay for air freight for its few kg.

Took my Rav in to get the heater replaced and to get the firmware update, and now the car is bricked. The field technician from Denver doesn't know what is wrong (firmware? heater?) because it seems he didn't check that the car worked between each task. Now it's in limbo until he gets some support from Tesla or whomever.

To make matters worse, my other car was crushed by a tree this morning in an epic windstorm. The used car dealer said they'd give a loaner and Toyota offered to pay for a rental. But, ugh.

mickeymammoth said:
To make matters worse, my other car was crushed by a tree this morning in an epic windstorm. The used car dealer said they'd give a loaner and Toyota offered to pay for a rental. But, ugh.

That's horrible. What part of the country are you in? We had massive wind storms in the Puget Sound reason, including a tree falling on a Metro Bus, injuring the driver, about a mile from my house the other day.

Boulder, CO. We often get high winds; today's got up to 100 MPH. Watching the trees swing around, I'm not really surprised one came down. It was a huge 80-year old maple that was rotten inside. I'm glad it didn't fall on either of our houses. If only I had parked my ICE Rav4 a few feet up the street!

Gateway ECU replacement didn't work. I await the next chapter in the glacial communication between Toyota and Tesla about my undrivable car.

"Probably not related to the speed sensor / recall issue."
Funny, I took mine in for the speed sensor / recall and they changed out my Gateway ECU.
I did not get any explanation of how they were or were not related.

SeattleRav4 said:
"Probably not related to the speed sensor / recall issue."
Funny, I took mine in for the speed sensor / recall and they changed out my Gateway ECU.
I did not get any explanation of how they were or were not related.

The recall is merely a firmware upgrade (1.3.103) that prevents the car from popping into neutral when the speed sensor is not working / out-of-tolerance.

The gateway is normally related to a whole host of "Check EV" and other related bad things. It is the singular location where the Tesla and Toyota meet.

Finally getting the recall firmware update. I've been trying to avoid this since my car has not had any issues (except motor noise). But since I took it in for noise, they are performing the firmware update. They also agreed to replace the motor, finally.

Anyone know how we can verify that the firmware update was applied? From the nav screen, I only see these and they all look unchanged from before the recall work:

Software Update:
Navigation: VB503102
Bluetooth: 21.210

Gracenote Database Update
Ver 03451 [2011-01-1]

Map Informaiton
Map Version: 21-12-27 [2012-06-1]
Map Update ID: 1102-7226-0500-1530

Well it finally happened to me. I was sitting in my driveway trying to start the car to drive away and for 5 power on and off cycles, my car shifted into neutral when i tried to shift into drive. Each time it flashed a steering wheel locked message and all of the dash lights lit up. Finally, on the 6th try, it allowed me to shift into drive and acted as if nothing had just happened. Wow would that be scary on the road. Going to get the recall asap.

ken830 said:
Anyone know how we can verify that the firmware update was applied? From the nav screen, I only see these and they all look unchanged from before the recall work:
Mine was updated today.

I can tell because....

the auto headlights were turned off
interior dome light moved to off position
charging schedule put on hold
radio was off
navigation display settings were changed
additional 20 miles added to the DTE meter

Will see what else I discover tomorrow ;)

smkettner said:
ken830 said:
Mine was updated today.

I can tell because....

the auto headlights were turned off
interior dome light moved to off position
charging schedule put on hold
radio was off
navigation display settings were changed
additional 20 miles added to the DTE meter

Will see what else I discover tomorrow ;)

None of my settings were changed. From what I gather, there is no way to confirm that the work was done.

ken830 said:
From what I gather, there is no way to confirm that the work was done.
Techstream software and an appropriate OBD cable can tell you. I hear everything you need is available on the internet these days.

Didn't you get a sticker under the hood to reflect the firmware upgrade?

The tech who came up to do 5-6 recalls in Kirkland, WA "forgot" or didn't have them. I spoke with the service manager and told him that it was "required" or at least required by ME. He pledged to get it for me. I suggested that he really needed to get them for every customer who had the work done.

A week later they came in and he popped mine into the mail. Don't know if the others got theirs. All it says for the Authorized Modifications made:

FOI
Dealer Code 46089
Date: 11-13-15

I wish it was more specific to indicate WHICH firmware version was installed! What is your experience when you had your updated?

"FOI" is the recall campaign ID. The firmware revision is specified in the recall campaign. Earlier in this thread it is specified to be 1.3.103.

Back