California Electric Vehicle Submetering Pilot Program

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wattbox is unreliable (for me)
Just wrote a lengthy email to ohmconnect/emtorworks.
My wattbox misses a lot of kWh while charging.
And I am afraid I will end up paying for it.

These are the graphs from my wattbox interfaces for last sunday:
http://postimg.org/gallery/1ipig9bzo/
and these are the 2 graphs from my main SCE meter:
http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=7071&sid=6390&dt=20151006&gs=0&m=0
http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=7071&sid=6390&dt=20151007&gs=0&m=0
the first session took 288 minutes, but only was 6.2 kWh, average power of 1.3 kW
where every other charging session is 6 kW.
In the first session in reality over 20 kWh went into my EV!
I urge everyone involved in the pilot program with a wattbox to keep track of your charges and compare them with the wattbox recordings.
In my case they are seriously out-of-sync.

srl99 said:
[Moderator Edit: delete comments] Does the total kWH on the EKM meter seem correct?
Not sure (yet)
I write down the total measured kWh, like it is shown on the LCD on the meter itself, but I don't write down when I read that meter.
Currently I am not sure if it measured my missing 16kWh or it just didn't get reported
Waiting for EMW & Ohmconnect to chime in.

The other thing is that I haven't even gotten my first bill since I started the pilot.
Last bill is from Jul 28th, and they announced a new bill on or around oct 5th, has now been postponed till november 9th.

Real fun to be in a pilot.

There are pilots and then there's unknowingly signing up as an unpaid crash test dummy.

srl99 said:
There are pilots and then there's unknowingly signing up as an unpaid crash test dummy.
So far did get a response from ohmconnect, nothing from EMW yet.
And they supplied the product so they should have responded.
:cry:

Please be honest in your Nexant/CPUC survey responses. Mine says "I signed up for the PEV Pilot because of the free JB, and where the hell is my free JB?".

srl99 said:
Please be honest in your Nexant/CPUC survey responses. Mine says "I signed up for the PEV Pilot because of the free JB, and where the hell is my free JB?".
Yes, absolutely. We sincerely hope that everyone responds to the Nexant survey truthfully. The PUC will need your feedback to decide how to rule about EVSE submetering in the future. This pilot will provide the necessary feedback and field experience, good and bad, to provide a better context for any future decision. Ideally, submetering would be integrated into the EVSE itself. This was unfortunately not possible due to certification requirements and the time available to complete it. All other MDMAs were equally affected.

emotorwerks said:
srl99 said:
Yes, absolutely. We sincerely hope that everyone responds to the Nexant survey truthfully. The PUC will need your feedback to decide how to rule about EVSE submetering in the future. This pilot will provide the necessary feedback and field experience, good and bad, to provide a better context for any future decision. Ideally, submetering would be integrated into the EVSE itself. This was unfortunately not possible due to certification requirements and the time available to complete it. All other MDMAs were equally affected.

EV usage needs to be measured at the revenue meter. There is no other location that can accurately implement a different rate for EV charging. Losses in wiring, etc make measurement at the EVSE (any brand) useless for this purpose.

srl99 said:
emotorwerks said:
srl99 said:

EV usage needs to be measured at the revenue meter. There is no other location that can accurately implement a different rate for EV charging. Losses in wiring, etc make measurement at the EVSE (any brand) useless for this purpose.
"Useless" is a strong word in this situation. Yes, it is true that the losses between the main meter and the EVSE will not be subtracted from the main meter if the EVSE is doing sub-metering. Is this a big deal? Well, I think 5VAC would be a big drop for an EVSE. Let's say you're charging a RAV4 EV at 40 amps. That is potentially 200W dissipation in the wiring that you will still pay on the house meter instead of the EV meter. If you fully charge the RAV with 35kWh of energy over 4 hours you will have a penalty of 0.8/35=2.3% Another way of looking at it is that you may be paying 35c/kWh on the house meter instead of 10c/kWh on the EV meter. So, you will pay an extra 0.8*25=$0.20 per full charge on the RAV.

So, you tell me, is that a big deal compared to the overall savings of sub-metering?

There could easily be a 10% drop. Whether this is a deal breaker depends on your situation. "Savings" from submetering also depends on your situation.

For some, the EV whole house rate works well (E-1 + EV-B vs EV-A) (PGE example).

srl99 said:
There could easily be a 10% drop. Whether this is a deal-breaker depends on your situation. "Savings" from submetering also depends on your situation. For some, the EV whole house rate works well (E-1 + EV-B vs EV-A) (PGE example).
The PUC is looking at this and other issues. They are also offering to install loggers to measure the accuracy of submetering during the pilot. That said, I note that you have been hyper-critical of this program from the beginning, questioning its purpose, implementation accuracy, and potential savings. I'm surprised that you have signed up for it at all. This project has been in the works since 2010, and there were several opportunities for input and constructive criticism. It's still not late to provide feedback through Nexant.

In closing, I'm referencing a letter someone wrote to Michael Peevy. There is obviously no shortage of opinions on this matter. Early workshops included nearly everyone from the still-nascent EVSE industry. Several automakers were included as well. Everyone contributed something to this project. Transparency regarding EV energy usage and some special accommodations on the part of the utilities will help EV adoption. If you have any feedback and are a pilot participant, please provide it through appropriate channels.

Large residence voltage drop first brought to my attention by president of EMW.

LADWP's solution of a dual-meter adapter and two meters reliably provides the ability to submeter PEV usage, or any other usage.
It also preserves the utility's billing system, and ensures consumers and utilities have a measure as accurate as their existing use.
It's also a solution not designed by government.

Back