ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Bornstein

My car recently passed the 3 year mark, and I am beginning to consider replacing the 12-volt battery. The manual gives no guidance to the type and model of the required battery. My battery has the number "28800-0D370" but searches have not found such a battery on the web, although several Toyota batteries start with 28800.

Is the battery a Type 35 or a Type 27F? My guess is that it is a 35

What is the rating of the battery?

Why can't I find a cross reference to that Toyota part number?

Is it an AGM or a wet cell?

Sears lists replacement batteries, but Interstate and Exide don't.

I have one of the earliest RAV4 EV's. Has anyone HAD to replace the battery yet?

Since we don't have a starter motor, we can't depend on slow cranking to indicate a failing battery. EV's tend to do strange things when the 12-volt battery is bad.

I plan to do a voltage check in the next day or so.

With further searching using Google instead of Bing, I found a listing for the 28800-0D350 and what seems to be an identical 28800-0D380.

http://www.findpart.org/part/ash-a56219gl/

So far no luck for the 28800-0D370

Has anyone looked at their battery to see what model number Toyota installed? I would be curious to know if they maintained the same battery throughout the 3 year run of the car or if they changed batteries somewhere along the line.

Toyota installed the same battery as the V6 gasoline RAV4. Nothing fancy at all. It should be a group 35 battery.

If you want a cheap battery, I'd just get one from Costco. If you want one that is the best design for the job, you want a deep cycle battery. The yellow top Optima should work.

$250

Battery Model: D35
Part Number: 8040-218
NSN: Number applied for, product currently available
UPC Code: 8 11405 00093 5
Performance Data
Cold Cranking Amps: 620
Cranking Amps: 770
Nominal Voltage: 12 volts
Open Circuit Voltage (fully charged): 13.1 volts
Internal Resistance (fully charged): 0.003 ohms
Capacity: 48 Ah (C/20)
Reserve Capacity: BCI: 98 minutes (25 amp discharge, 80°F (26.7°C), to 10.5 volts cut-off)
Physical Characteristics
Plate Design:
High purity lead-tin alloy. Wound cell configuration utilizing proprietary
SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY®.
Electrolyte:
Sulfuric acid, H2SO4
Case: Polypropylene
Case Color: Light Gray
Cover Color: “OPTIMA“ Yellow
Group Size: BCI: 35
Post Type: SAE Post
Weight: 36.4 lb
Length: 9.38 in
Width: 6.75 in
Height: 7.69 in
Power
CCA (BCI 0°F): 620 amps
MCA (BCI 32°F): 770 amps
Recommended Charging
The following charging methods are recommended to ensure a long battery life:
(Always use a voltage regulated charger with voltage limits set as described below.)

Model: D35
These batteries are designed for starting and deep cycling applications and for use in vehicles with large accessory loads..
Recommended Charging Information
Alternator: 13.65 to 15.0 volts
Battery Charger: 13.8 to 15.0 volts; 10 amps maximum; 6-12 hours approximate
Float Charge: 13.2 to 13.8 volts; 1 amp maximum (indefinite time at lower voltages)
Rapid Recharge (Constant voltage charger): Maximum voltage 15.6 volts. No current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.
Cyclic or Series String Applications::
14.7 volts. No current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below 1 amp, finish with 2 amp constant current for 1 hour.
All limits must be strictly adhered to.
Shipping and Transportation Information
OPTIMA batteries can be shipped by AIR. The battery is nonspillable and is tested according to ICAO Technical Instructions DOC. 9284-AN/905 to meet the requirements of Packing Instructions No. 806 and is classified as non-regulated by IATA Special Provision A-48 and A-67 for UN2800.
Terminals must be protected from short circuit.

Toyota lists the replacement size as 24F, and Sears has it as a 35. Haven't checked Costco yet.

I checked my voltage this morning, it was 12.78V in the garage at about 55 F. Theoretically, the battery is still good after 3 years.

Yesterday I read a thread on the ?Leaf or ?Volt forum that slammed the Yellow-top. Apparently quality went way down after the company moved its production facilities to Mexico.

Regardless of what Toyota says, you want a deep cycle battery. Toyota put next to no effort in the details like this. The yellow top battery is both deep cycle and able to crank a starter, important if you want to jump start other cars.

Yes, I saw that there is some confusion as to the size... 24F or 35. I suspect either would fit, and I'd get the larger.

Slightly off topic, but I am amazed that there is no cross-reference to the Toyota part number, especially from Toyota itself.

A few years ago I bought a used IBM laptop in Japan with a Japanese keyboard in Tokyo (I still have the keyboard if anyone is interested in buying it). The laptop was already a generation or so behind. I looked up the keyboard number in an English language manual and found a slew of replacements on numerous sites. Similarly, when its battery died, I found a large number of compatible batteries (mostly from China) by simply entering the model number of the battery. The IBM manual also listed a bunch of batteries, and replacement parts were easily found.

I am sure that Toyota has placed this battery in tens of thousands of RAV4's around the world, yet no one lists an equivalent replacement by the Toyota part number.

I bought the optima yellow battery online for $169 with free shipping. Sorry, I can't find the store I bought it from, but Amazon also has it for about the same price with free shipping.

From the Optimabatteries dot com website it gives additional information. Just type the part number in the search field. 8040-218 D35

It mentions that this is the the same battery as those marked:
8040-218
9040-218
YEL35
SC35DA
N9935YEL

Of interest: click on "Is this the right battery for my vehicle". It opens up an inquiry field. When I put
a) 2012, Toyota, RAV4, and engine type as -- , it says "this is NOT the right battery."
b) 2013, Toyota, RAV4, engine -- , it says "This Battery Fits Your Vehicle"

It is obviously only referencing ICE models; RAV4EV does not show up as an option, nor does "Electric" for engine type.

I had to change my 12V battery a few months ago. The car just wouldn't cooperate anymore.. I was in a hurry, so I just bought what had the right size, and so far so good. I think it is 64A, and cheap, approx $80.
//Paul

i replaced mine with a battery i gotfrom Tractor Supply when i had the car less than 6 months. that was 2 years ago and ive had no problems. i just matched the physical size of the battery. 24F i think. i think i spent $70 on the replacement. i do put the battery on a maintainer if i ever park the car for more than a few days though.

n3ckf said:
i replaced mine with a battery i gotfrom Tractor Supply when i had the car less than 6 months. that was 2 years ago and ive had no problems. i just matched the physical size of the battery. 24F i think. i think i spent $70 on the replacement. i do put the battery on a maintainer if i ever park the car for more than a few days though.

I think that Costco would have a similar price.

Battery sizes:

Group 24F: 10 3/4(L) x 6 13/16(W) x 9(H)
Group 27F: 12 1/2(L) x 6 13/16(W) x 8 15/16(H)
Group 35 : 9 1/16(L) x 6 7/8(W) x 8 7/8(H)

The premium Optima Yellow Top battery can be found here:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/shop/yellowtop/optima-batteries-8040-218-d35-yellowtop-starting-and-deep-cycle-battery/

Or shop for the best price on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8040-218-YellowTop-Purpose/dp/B000MSDKMA

Or Google search "8040-218-d35"

Costco sells RV/watercraft deep-cycle 12V batteries, I've personally purchased like 4 of those for our RV. I'll probably try those instead of the regular automotive battery based on Tony's recommendation.

I checked my battery voltage with voltage meter in the lighter socket.
In the morning before starting it was 12.0 volts. According to the battery meter that is down to 50%.
Car is 20 months old. So looks like I need a new battery.

Wonder if the dealer will replace it on warranty?

Weird thing is that after the ignition was on, the charge voltage was 14.5 - 14.7 volts, way above the recommended 13.8 charging voltage for lead acid batteries. I wonder if this shortening the battery life because of overcharging.

-- Scott

z3scot said:
I checked my battery voltage with voltage meter in the lighter socket.
In the morning before starting it was 12.0 volts. According to the battery meter that is down to 50%.
Car is 20 months old. So looks like I need a new battery.

Wonder if the dealer will replace it on warranty?

Weird thing is that after the ignition was on, the charge voltage was 14.5 - 14.7 volts, way above the recommended 13.8 charging voltage for lead acid batteries. I wonder if this shortening the battery life because of overcharging.

-- Scott

That is normal to charge above 14V.

I am going to take it to the dealer for a battery load test to see if it is replaceable. The warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Since I am leasing it, I don't want to buy an expensive battery in case I turn it in.

-- Scott

Back