Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 10:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Considering swap for BMW i3 Rex
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:45 pm 

My lease is up a a few months and I'm considering getting the BMW i3 Rex. I test drove it yesterday. Besides getting used to the aggressive regen braking (it's like permanent "B" mode) it was very fun to drive. It has great pickup and the car is clearly purpose built.

One big advantage is since the car still qualifies for the $7500 federal tax credit (to title holders only), they slap that amount on the roof for the lease, discount another 7k from MSRP, and you've got a 50k + car for about 350 per month with minimal driveoffs. It also qualifies for 2500 CARB rebate.

So, the numbers make sense. But I'd like to hear from anyone who might have more expertise. I'm thinking of doing an extended test drive.

Clipper Creek TS-70
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition

Post subject: Re: Considering swap for BMW i3 Rex
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:50 pm 

My sister got it in Oct. She's happy with it.

I've driven it and it performs well enough.

Pros:
Better handling vs. Rav4EV
Nicer seats (Rav4 seats are the worst when compared to every car I've ever owned period!!!)
DCFC

Cons:
Back seat and door access (hassle for daily pick up/drop off kids etc.; deal breaker for me, but if you seldom have passengers then maybe you don't care)
Irregular sized tires plus different front & back tire = added expenses for tires ( if you don't put too many miles on the car, you might not care)
Shorter range vs. Rav4, but you could get the REX with DCFC

Neutral:
Distinctive looks ... you either love it or you hate it!
It's a BMW ... They used to make really good cars that you drive for 15-20 years, but just like Lexus and Mercedes, they now make cars that "break" just after the warranty expires so they can get added profits ( I wouldn't keep any new BMW, Mercedes, Lexus past 5 years ... unless you don't mind paying $1000-$2000 per year for repairs).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:24 am 

I'd advise against it, unless you have time for a new hobby in the event your i3 REx ends up being one of the unreliable ones and requires many trips to the dealer for repairs.

Join https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/ and watch for a few weeks. You'll see what I mean.

Also, numerous folks have had their 1st i3 bought back under lemon law.

See my posts at:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 13#p421713
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 02#p446102
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 84#p446184

The BEV version seems more reliable, esp. since it doesn't have an engine and thus can't get a dreaded CEL (check engine light), which is EXTREMELY common.
Luckyduckie wrote:
they now make cars that "break" just after the warranty expires so they can get added profits (

The i3 REx is real good at breaking down a lot within the warranty, even within a year or two.

It is interesting that some folks w/i3s claim to have minimal or no problems. For the BEV version, that's much more plausible. For some w/"no problem" i3 RExes, I suspect a few of them are (BMW fanboy) liars or and some have decided to ignore some problems.

There was one guy on the i3 FB group claimed to have "no dealer visits". He did have one (which I can dismiss, because it was a tire prob e.g. flat tire, so that doesn't really count) but he had a plethora of other problems he himself posted about on that group but decided to not get them fixed, it seems.

Yes, it is very fast (have test driven the BEV version at least 3 or 4x) and it's RWD. The only way I'd EVER want an i3 REx is if it were WAY cheaper than a Leaf, as in virtually free, to compensate for the risk of massive amounts of time wasted + car being out of service. I don't think I could spare the time as my job keeps me quite busy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:11 pm 
Site Moderator

Buy the RAV and a warranty and wait for a better EV to come along.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:38 am 

My understanding is the BMW handling is responsive to the point of being skittish. Several people complain about this.

BMW fanboys rave about the aggressive regen braking, but I prefer a blended feel which is very similar to what I have always experienced.

The range extender seems like a valuable asset, never any concern about getting to your destination.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:51 am 

michael wrote:
The range extender seems like a valuable asset, never any concern about getting to your destination.

Indeed, unless it fails on you. Then again, I've seen reports of drivetrain malfunction on both the BEV and REx versions. In some cases, they can continue driving. In others, they can't move or the car loses propulsion on them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:07 pm 

I still have a little time left on my lease. I'm going to take my time. I really enjoyed the test drive but I agree on the braking regen is annoying. I like to coast on the Rav and that's not possible on the i3. But I must say the responsiveness and speed is great; the torque is much better with rear wheel drive. I honestly think it's a bit unsafe on the Rav to punch it in sport mode.

The big killer right now is the CA DMV has run out of green HOV stickers and won't have another allotment until Sacramento can pass another bill upping the amount. They likely will, but that means anyone who buys the car now will have to wait weeks or months to get HOV (and free fast pass lane access). That's a complete deal killer for me.

Who knows; maybe I'll keep the Rav 4 EV and get an Alfa Romeo 4C!

Clipper Creek TS-70
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:42 pm 

You will get a white sticker (good until jan 2019) with a BMW i3... if it doesn't have the scooter gasoline engine.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:15 am 

bruin nut wrote:
I honestly think it's a bit unsafe on the Rav to punch it in sport mode.

Yeah, due to the wheel spin and torque steer on the FWD Rav4 EV. Weight transfer to the rear, off the wheels providing propulsion is of no help. If the Rav4 EV were RWD or AWD...
bruin nut wrote:
The big killer right now is the CA DMV has run out of green HOV stickers and won't have another allotment until Sacramento can pass another bill upping the amount. They likely will, but that means anyone who buys the car now will have to wait weeks or months to get HOV (and free fast pass lane access). That's a complete deal killer for me.

Yep, for those who haven't been watching, per http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
"This page last reviewed December 18, 2015

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The 85,000 statutory Green Clean Air Vehicle Decal limit has been reached. The DMV will continue to accept applications without payment to establish a queue for requesters should an additional amount of decals be authorized. There is no guarantee that additional decals will be authorized in the coming months. Those individuals in the queue will be notified to submit payment if additional decals are approved. Updates will be provided here as more information becomes available."

It's possible they won't up the limit due to issues like these coupled w/no # issued limits on the white stickers:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/carp ... -lane.html
http://www.cbs8.com/story/28017135/cali ... ast-enough

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:04 pm 

I have both an 2015 I3 REX and a 2013 RAV4 EV - two very different vehicles.

I don't think my wife would give up the I3 REX - she has lost all the range anxiety - even though 96% of miles are electric. We have had my I3 6 months and have had ZERO issues. The I3 also has an extensive "coding" capability - many of the things people discuss as issues, are options that can be coded by someone who has programming knowledge - or supplied by third parties. I am a retired techie - so we have taken advantage of this. The biggest negative for me is the tires - in my opinion - poorly chosen and easily punctured. Biggest positives - fast charging and coding capability.

I personally like the RAV 4 EV SUV much more and once I get the Jdemo installed - will pretty much take the RAV anywhere. I am also looking for a second RAV 4EV - for the right price with an extended warranty. The extra range with an extended charge is the best feature. I met a guy this week with a 2002 Rav 4 EV1 who loved that car - still getting 80 miles a charge with only 6K invested in batteries over time. I am hoping I can have the same feeling with my Gen2 in 2025!

We don't have commutes - but carpool access is used frequently - so I would consider the lack of green sticker a big negative for commuters.

We have always been car collectors and restorers - and have 16 ICE vehicles ranging from 73 VW Things(which I might convert to electric) to a 2015 Tahoe. But it seems that 95% of our trips are now in either the RAV4 EV or the I3 REX. Heading to the Sierras this time of year - we are piling in the big ICE SUV.

JLong, ---- J1772 extension cord