Cheapest RAV4 EV Toyota Extended Warranty

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For future reference...

RAV_Warr_Page_What_Covered.jpg

I just checked back in with my local contact at Stapp Interstate Toyota (just north of Denver by about 30 miles). He said earlier this year that he'd match the best quote I got for the 8 year/75k mile Platinum VSP, which was $734.

This also seems a good time to repost the table that I compiled earlier:

PDheIc0.png

My name is Jason and I've worked with a number of you EV fanatics already. I wanted to introduce myself and clear up any confusion regarding extended VSC options.

If your vehicle is currently under full manufacturer warranty, I can extend a new car Toyota service contract to match your driving habits, which will extend out the manufacture warranty coverage. The 8yr/100 and 8/125 seem to be the most popular. If your vehicle is out of full manufacture warranty, we will need a used car inspection prior to the issue of a used car plan through Toyota. This is required to reduce liability and make sure there are no preexisting conditions.

Please reach out should you have any further questions. My email is [email protected]

Take advantage of Jason's LOW December pricing right now. I've already sent one person there who bought one, and if I hadn't JUST bought one 2 days before he returned my call, I would have bought it from him. Cheapest price anywhere due to their campaign through the end of the year. Don't know if they'll extend that offer, but I'd give him a call TODAY. Toyota of Kirkland, WA. (Ask for Jason in the Finance department).

8/125/50 deductible about $1450 if I recall correctly. It was about $50 cheaper than Troy in Greenfield, MA where I bought mine.

Thanks for the endorsement Larry. I will touch base with my GM to see if we can continue the campaign due to its current success. Happy New Year!

Overall I think Toyota will still make money on these warranties.
Initial failures might seem high but I think once you get to 60,000 the real defects will have been discovered and the rest will be far more reliable for the next 65,000.
I plan to pass on this extended warranty.

smkettner said:
Overall I think Toyota will still make money on these warranties.
Initial failures might seem high but I think once you get to 60,000 the real defects will have been discovered and the rest will be far more reliable for the next 65,000.
I plan to pass on this extended warranty.

Yes, After costing them an average of more than $5,000 per warranty sold they certainly will recapture on the losses. :lol: I don't see how they can other than the dealers making money.

Any updates on what Toyota dealership has the lowest cost on Platinum VSA 7/125K? The Toyota dealership in Santa Maria, CA wants $2195 which seems rather high.

Thanks for the info. I'll check with Gilroy Toyota. I usually drive by there on my way up North to the Bay Area. Hopefully they'll be more reasonable.

swogee said:
Any updates on what Toyota dealership has the lowest cost on Platinum VSA 7/125K? The Toyota dealership in Santa Maria, CA wants $2195 which seems rather high.
Look 6 posts above yours. I have a table.

I haven't bought an extended warranty for an auto before and I was wondering if there's anything I should look out for? (I usually pass on them.)

A couple questions come to mind.

Is tax charged on the extended warranty? (This may specific to the state. I live in CA.)

Is there any way to ensure that the proper VSA is being written up/sold? There seems to be different levels, and types i.e. gold vs platinum, new vs used, No deductible vs $50 deductible. IMHO, many dealerships seem to have questionable sales tactics when it comes to warranties.

Thanks in advance.

I figured I would answer my own questions since there haven't been any replies and I finally purchased an extended warranty (Vehicle Service Agreeent) from Santa Maria Toyota.

In the state of CA, tax cannot be charged on a warranty if it is optional. So no tax is charged on the extended warranty/VSA.

The form that is used for a Toyota VSA is fairly specific and it has sections for the coverage terms (years/mileage/deductible) so it is readily apparent what is being purchased. Please make sure that this form is examined closely before signing it.

There also seems to be a lot of wiggle room/markup in terms of price for a Toyota VSA. I got the usual quote of $3195 with a discounted priced of $2195 for a 7 year/125K Platinum VSA with no deductible. I ended up paying much less than that after mentioned I got quotes of $1250 from several other dealerships. So it does pay to negotiate with the dealership on the price of the VSA. Usually the finance manager at the dealership handles the extended warranty/VSA's.

I hope this helps someone.

shikataganai said:
I just checked back in with my local contact at Stapp Interstate Toyota (just north of Denver by about 30 miles). He said earlier this year that he'd match the best quote I got for the 8 year/75k mile Platinum VSP, which was $734.

This also seems a good time to repost the table that I compiled earlier:

PDheIc0.png

Reposting the chart and updating my own info:

Today I bought an 8 year/75k miles/$0 deductible Toyota Platinum VSP from Bruce Harrington at Stapp Interstate Toyota in Frederick, CO. $734. No tax even though CO is a sales tax state. Smooth transaction, with only a slight delay as the Toyota internal site where he verified my vehicle's in-service/purchase date was laggy.

I shall therefore be covered until February 20, 2021! (We don't drive long distances so won't run up against that 75k limit by that time: we've put about 6k miles on in the past 10 months, for reference.)

I called Bruce over at Stapp Toyota, and he said the reason why you received the $734 special price is because you are a local/loyal customer. Bruce said that for the rest of us (online shoppers), they normally charge $1134 for 8year/75K VSA.

khaliss said:
I called Bruce over at Stapp Toyota, and he said the reason why you received the $734 special price is because you are a local/loyal customer. Bruce said that for the rest of us (online shoppers), they normally charge $1134 for 8year/75K VSA.

Oh, well that explains the reason why he never called me back after leaving him a message... I live in CO too.

So why are some dealers willing to sell the warranty at much lower prices, while others cant be bothered with the lower margins?

Its good to hear these guys value their past customers' loyalty though... Heck I bought a few Toyotas from Stevenson right down the street and they treat me like shit... so no more business for them.

Did prices go up?

I called around and got these prices:
7/100= $1075+100+tax = $1286
8/75 = $885+100+tax = $1078
8/100= $1195+100+tax = $1418
8/125= $1555+100+tax = $1812

I am looking for the 7/100 or possibly the 8/125. I am in San Diego. Called Steve from Poway as Tony Williams recommended but he had the same prices. It seems toyota realized the cost of fixing these EVs and increased the warranty cost.

khaliss said:
I'm local in the sense I'm in driving distance from the dealership but had never seen the guy or set foot in the dealership until then.

Back