I just bought # 3361!!!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASKIKR

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a while and I finally made the move to get one of these bitchin cars. Picked mine up with 12,200 miles, it's a blue 2014. Purchase price was $30,084, the car has some knicks and scratches and the headliner in the cargo area is kind of scuffed but she's MINE!!!. How did I do? Also, does anyone have an extra L2 charger lying around that they want to sell? Kind of need one...

Congratulations!

I would recommend the Jesla. WWW.quickchargepower.com

I have that one and I like it because it is 10kwh, it has adapters and I can charge at rv parks. Plus it is small, portable and made by tesla, slightly modified to use with our car.

Welcome to the club! Maybe update your profile with your general location.

We have a EV/club meeting that happens in SoCal every 2 weeks in SantaAna and Cerritos if you are in this area general area.

JasonA said:
Welcome to the club! Maybe update your profile with your general location.

We have a EV/club meeting that happens in SoCal every 2 weeks in SantaAna and Cerritos if you are in this area general area.

Thanks, I just updated my location. I'm right in between SA and Cerritos actually. Does the club have a website?

Congratulations!

I recommend Clipper Creek EVSE. Easy to size depending on the available power.

What is the benefit of having the Tesla parts versus say for example the Juicebox which is also 40 Amps?

evdrive said:
Congratulations!

I would recommend the Jesla. http://WWW.quickchargepower.com

I have that one and I like it because it is 10kwh, it has adapters and I can charge at rv parks. Plus it is small, portable and made by tesla, slightly modified to use with our car.

kieranmullen said:
What is the benefit of having the Tesla parts versus say for example the Juicebox which is also 40 Amps?

evdrive said:
Congratulations!

I would recommend the Jesla. http://WWW.quickchargepower.com

Assuming proper construction 40A is 40A. The advantage of the JESLA is that it is small and it is easy to transport but really pricey. It sets its power by the plug used.

The OpenEVSE and JuiceBox can be set for the available current. On MNL a person said that the GE unit has dip switches to set the current. The Jesla, JuiceBox and OpenEVSE are not UL approved if that is important to you. It is not to me.

The Leaf owners seem to favor Clipper Creek. It is UL approved.

The car's internal Tesla supplied charger is fully J1772 compliant. That means if you just charge at home over night you can use a 30A EVSE. It is 25% slower but it is much cheaper. If you go to Clipper Creek's website the 40A unit is hundreds more than the 32A unit. By the way, the Clipper Creek model numbers refer to the required wiring. The 40A unit is for a 50A circuit and the model reflects that.

I have both the JESLA and 40FT JLONG - I keep the JLONG in the vehicle and have been saved numerous times by being able to charge when someone has parked or blocked a public station. When I am heading out anywhere for a trip - I take the JESLA as well. I think the price was worth the portability and the ability to maximize use all of the different type plugs - including RV parks.

That was the idea with my evseupgrade.com unit until it was stolen. :-(

bdunst said:
I have both the JESLA and 40FT JLONG - I keep the JLONG in the vehicle and have been saved numerous times by being able to charge when someone has parked or blocked a public station. When I am heading out anywhere for a trip - I take the JESLA as well. I think the price was worth the portability and the ability to maximize use all of the different type plugs - including RV parks.

kieranmullen said:

bdunst said:

The 2011-2012 Nissan LEAF / Panasonic portable won't work on Tesla powered vehicles, including the Toyota Rav4 EV and Mercedes B-Class ED (B250e).

The 2013 version will.

I have a EVSEupgrade version of the 2013 Nissan unit, with programming from 6 to 25 amps in 1 amp increments. $500 with L6-30 plug.

Of course, we can also sell you a JESLA / JLong combo.

As mentioned I don't need it as someone stole it. I have a 40 Amp on 50 amp breaker juicebox. Thanks

TonyWilliams said:
kieranmullen said:

bdunst said:

The 2011-2012 Nissan LEAF / Panasonic portable won't work on Tesla powered vehicles, including the Toyota Rav4 EV and Mercedes B-Class ED (B250e).

The 2013 version will.

I have a EVSEupgrade version of the 2013 Nissan unit, with programming from 6 to 25 amps in 1 amp increments. $500 with L6-30 plug.

Of course, we can also sell you a JESLA / JLong combo.

Note if you install a 40 amp charger you must install a 50amp breaker to feed it. Thats the minimum breaker size that is code-approved for a 40amp actual draw.

(Now if you have a charger that you can turn down, you can use a 32 amp charger on a 40A breaker etc.)

I use the Siemens Versacharge at my rental location because it has a rotary switch (inside the unit, not that convenient to reconfigure but it works) and i normally run it at 75% (24amps) while connected to my 30amp dryer outlet.

I installed a 50 amp a long time ago.

n3ckf said:
Note if you install a 40 amp charger you must install a 50amp breaker to feed it. Thats the minimum breaker size that is code-approved for a 40amp actual draw.

(Now if you have a charger that you can turn down, you can use a 32 amp charger on a 40A breaker etc.)

I use the Siemens Versacharge at my rental location because it has a rotary switch (inside the unit, not that convenient to reconfigure but it works) and i normally run it at 75% (24amps) while connected to my 30amp dryer outlet.

Back