Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearing the codes does not do anything to address the cause of the codes. I think more Check EV System shutdowns are in your future. IMHO, when the car gets "Lost Communication" codes they really need to replace the Gateway ECU.

miimura said:
Clearing the codes does not do anything to address the cause of the codes. I think more Check EV System shutdowns are in your future. IMHO, when the car gets "Lost Communication" codes they really need to replace the Gateway ECU.

I hope it happens soon :twisted:

miimura said:

Don't you hate when you are right ? :)

3rdcheckevmessage.png

2nd day in the shop,
and they still don't know what to do.

fromport said:
miimura said:

Don't you hate when you are right ? :)

3rdcheckevmessage.png

2nd day in the shop,
and they still don't know what to do.

car is at the shop now for 2 weeks.
last time they powered it up (according to entunes) is dec 6th.
The dealer calls me every work day or so to update that they still know nothing.

This is Not Good (TM)
Half of my month lease payed and not able to drive my car.
No loaner offered.
Am using my wife's rav4ev for all my trips.
But am in the middle of moving and the second rav4ev would have been handy.

After 2.5 weeks of "inspection" I have been denied service because of "modification of the car" == JDEMO

My first incident was without JDEMO
My second incident (novemver 2015) was with
After that I disabled (disconnected) the JDEMO
The third incident was within a week without JDEMO connected
I am not going to discuss with Toyota
Will take the JDEMO out, and it will happen again _soon_
I will have it towed to Toyota and we will take it from there.

Outlier said:
Sorry to hear it fromport. Hang in there.
They make me take of :
- JDEMO (even though disabled since november)
- my trailer hitch (because they suspect that ....)
- my charge indication modification (shows amps/volts while charging) (because they suspect that ....)

They even mentioned the dash cam I installed
They forgot to mention my leather seat covers

I mean.. they could interfere with .....

damn it... after the recall's firmware update, the Rav4EV ran just fine for almost 2 months. Today, the dreaded "Check EV system" indicator lit up again! This is frustrating, I wouldn't have been this pissed if the nearest dealership that'll work on this thing isn't 140 miles away =X

Is there a trick to clearing this error out? before the firmware update, I tried unplugging/replugging the 12V battery, and doing the 4 on/off cycles while putting my foot on the brakes... didn't work.

If you can't clear this error message from the I/P display, I think that warrants another trip to your dealer. Is it even driveable at this point???

I had the recall/update several months ago and have not had any re-occurence of this problem. However, it did not even before I had the update. The last time was well over a year ago. I did have my gateway computer replaced under warranty about two years ago, right after the first time it acted up. As I recall it happened a total of 3 times all together over the 3+ year history of the car. Each time it recovered all on its own and the "Check EV . . . " message went away right after each incident happened.

The best way to describe this problem, is something can cause random "glitchiness" of the digital electronics in the car. Who knows why or how often??? Replacing the Gateway ECM is no guarantee the problem will be resolved. The real problem is that Tesla/Toyota has no idea what to do about it and any and all owner reported problems with the 2012-2014 RAV4EVs. These cars are probably just about the LOWEST POSSIBLE PRIORITY for them to work on, because future sales will be non-existent, and they just don't care about existing customers who still own these "compliance" cars.

I have just learned to live with this kind of BS and still manage to enjoy driving the car nevertheless! I don't use for anything for around town errands, so that I minimize risking a complete break down away from home. I did have a complete breakdown ONCE about a year ago, but it was something going haywire with the DC/DC charger for the regular 12V battery. I had to have it towed to the dealer under warranty because it was totally undriveable after that one happened. They replaced the 12V battery and the problem went away. My conclusion? The 12V batteries in these cars - even new - will not last much more than about 2 years before they will croak, i.e. premature EOL failure, and I believe some of the Model S Tesla 12V batteries will do exactly the same, so Tesla recommends their replacement every 18 months to prevent bricking those cars. I believe RAV4EVs inherited the same issue.

Thanks for your detailed feedback. Yes, my Rav4 works just fine except for that persistent "Check-EV" screen. It's not making funny noises or anything that's out of the ordinary. First think I'll probably do when I get home is do a 12V battery test using a voltmeter. I've already called the dealership (where the ECU update was performed) and waiting a call back from their EV technician. It's just ridiculous that the local Toyota dealers won't even service this car, that I have to drive 140 miles to get it checked (?)

khaliss said:
Is there a trick to clearing this error out? before the firmware update, I tried unplugging/replugging the 12V battery, and doing the 4 on/off cycles while putting my foot on the brakes... didn't work.

If that didn't fix it, you probably have a real problem. I would take it to the dealer.

If the 12 V battery is more than two years old , don't waste your time with a voltmeter... just get a new battery. I will bet that fixes your Check EV System message.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1738

TonyWilliams said:
If the 12 V battery is more than two years old , don't waste your time with a voltmeter... just get a new battery.

I've been lucky then at 30 months on the original 12 V battery. Measured it the other day, 12.3 V after sitting overnight, 13.4 after driving 50 miles.

snoltor said:
TonyWilliams said:
If the 12 V battery is more than two years old , don't waste your time with a voltmeter... just get a new battery.

I've been lucky then at 30 months on the original 12 V battery. Measured it the other day, 12.3 V after sitting overnight, 13.4 after driving 50 miles.

Definitely get a new battery! 12.3 volts is about 50% capacity!!!

TonyWilliams said:

Yeah will do, I saw one of your posts that the 12 V should actually read over 14 V so I figured mine was nearing the end of it's lifespan.

Got an Interstate 24F battery (from Costco) installed on the Rav4EV... however, it didn't clear the error message. I'm hoping (& praying) that when I drive it to work tomorrow... this headache goes away :roll:

TonyWilliams said:
snoltor said:
TonyWilliams said:

Yeah will do, I saw one of your posts that the 12 V should actually read over 14 V so I figured mine was nearing the end of it's lifespan.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/alternative-energy/battery-state-of-charge-chart/

Thanks Tony

Back