Stuttering at 30-35 mph?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pl804

So I'm not sure if I have the milling/drive unit issues in the other thread - I've noticed a whining noise while accelerating on the freeway but ignored it until my Model S had the same issue and turned out to need a drive unit replacement.

But today, I was driving locally and at about 30 mph, I noticed the car started stuttering/jittering, until about 35 mph. When I let off the accelerator, it stuttered again while decelerating. After about 10-15 min., though, it seemed to go away.

Has anyone else run into this?

pl804 said:
So I'm not sure if I have the milling/drive unit issues in the other thread - I've noticed a whining noise while accelerating on the freeway but ignored it until my Model S had the same issue and turned out to need a drive unit replacement.
Out of curiosity, when was the Model S built? Was it on its original DU or was it a replacement already? RWD or AWD?

Ah, that is bad. Mine did just about the same thing. First just a stutter, then after a month went by, another one, then more frequent. It took about 3 months, so about 3000 miles. Then it started having trouble in reverse, a little like trying to turn a 4wd sharply with the hubs locked. Then within a few 10s of miles it was so bad I didn't think it would get to the dealer.
The good news is they replaced the DU (drive unit) and all is well.

cwerdna said:
pl804 said:
Out of curiosity, when was the Model S built? Was it on its original DU or was it a replacement already? RWD or AWD?

2014, original drive unit. They replaced it and I haven't had the problem recur.

SeattleRav4 said:
Ah, that is bad. Mine did just about the same thing. First just a stutter, then after a month went by, another one, then more frequent. It took about 3 months, so about 3000 miles. Then it started having trouble in reverse, a little like trying to turn a 4wd sharply with the hubs locked. Then within a few 10s of miles it was so bad I didn't think it would get to the dealer.
The good news is they replaced the DU (drive unit) and all is well.

Hmm, I think I've noticed a similar problem while driving out of my driveway. Once I heard a squeaking noise and it felt like something was grinding.

Was the dealer helpful or resistant to help?

The dealer was helpful once they figured out they needed corporate help. It took 2 months but most of that was waiting for the new drive unit. The story I got was that the process is to rebuild an old core into a new one, so the new one is dependent on somebody else turning in an old core.
While there seem to be plenty of "old ones", it does slow the process.

SeattleRav4 said:
The dealer was helpful once they figured out they needed corporate help. It took 2 months but most of that was waiting for the new drive unit. The story I got was that the process is to rebuild an old core into a new one, so the new one is dependent on somebody else turning in an old core.

Such a well thought out service plan. This is why I won't buy a Toyota EV when they release one, which they most likely will do.

SeattleRav4 said:

Thanks. I have my appointment next month but might move it up to start working on this.

4EVEREV said:
Such a well thought out service plan. This is why I won't buy a Toyota EV when they release one, which they most likely will do.
Doubt it would be the same issue if it was ALL Toyota in continuous production vs the Toyota-Tesla limited production we have.
May well be Tesla dragging its feet with stocking and rebuilding the replacements.

smkettner said:
4EVEREV said:
Doubt it would be the same issue if it was ALL Toyota in continuous production vs the Toyota-Tesla limited production we have.
May well be Tesla dragging its feet with stocking and rebuilding the replacements.

This shows that Toyota has an inadequate spares policy for our cars, and this is the sort of problem that Toyota could easily fix with a little cash. Tesla has publicly said that they would be interested in working with Toyota in the future, and I bet that they would consider a contract to produce a some motors, ECUs, chargers, etc. for Toyota to stock for repairs. Toyota would keep a small inventory of these key parts if they cared at all about supporting our vehicles, but it is obvious that they do not.

I have also noticed the car stuttering at 30-35 mph. Car has over 36,000 miles on it. It is one of the early ones built in 2012. Is this covered under warranty? Will they replace the Drive Unit? It is intermittent...but more than a one time occurrence. I have tended to ignore it...but should probably has Palo Alto look at it. Thoughts?

My car has very slight thrust oscillation (about 1Hz) at low load and very specific speed and load levels. I don't know if that is what you guys are calling "stuttering". Mine is very hard to reproduce, but I notice it occasionally as I'm approaching the first traffic light after I leave my office. I doubt I could even reproduce it for a service technician.

I took mine in for an inspection. I rode with the technician for 20 minutes. I came back 8 hours later and the service advisor said they weren't able to look at it. I was pretty frustrated. I like the car but am leaning toward returning it at the end of the lease.

Back