Best Dealer for Service In SF Bay Area

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z3scot

My Rav4 EV just clocked 8K miles and I need to have it serviced.
I have called a few dealers locally and they seem somewhat clueless about the Rav4 EV.
Neither Livermore or Dublin sells them, but Livermore says they service them.
I want to take mine to someone who can diagnose the engine whine and do the Telsa S/W upgrade (if needed)
Also I need to have the backup beep and locking changed reprogrammed from the default.

Does anybody have any Dealer recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott

miimura said:
On that side of the bay, probably Walnut Creek is the most competent to service the RAV4 EV.
If you do go to WC Toyota for service (they don't seem to want to sell any vehicles) be sure to get your coupon for Buttercup Cafe. Also, be warned, its a high volume service department.

Just got my 10k service at Walnut Creek - they did all the firmware updates and other than it taking almost 5 hours, they were very professional and I would recommend them. And do get the Buttercup coupon - had a nice breakfast, saved $3 -

Does WC Toyota have any experience with the motor whine problem?

Since I work in Sunnyvale, I was thinking to try PaloAlto as someone said they replaced his motor with no hassle.

Thanks for the tip on the Buttercup cafe.

Scott

Palo Alto is also very good with the RAV4 EV. They have done several motor replacements, cabin heaters, DC/DC converters, etc.

I've had my RAV4 EV's motor replaced at the Walnut Creek Toyota Service Center.
They kept my vehicle for a couple of days, and replaced the motor with no issues at all. It's quiet as a church mouse now! :D
Wish I knew about the coupon though! Oh wells!

I also would recommend them. They do get busy, but they're always professional/courteous when you first check in...not so much when you go to pick up your car.

Tadol said:
Just got my 10k service at Walnut Creek - they did all the firmware updates and other than it taking almost 5 hours, they were very professional and I would recommend them. -

I tried to get my 5K (6 month) service at Walnut Creek last Friday. It didn't go well. When I called Monday, they wouldn't give me an actual appointment, nor commit to a completion time. The gal on the phone said to call beforehand and see what the wait was like. I did call, and was told to leave my number and they would call me back. After waiting 30 minutes, I just drove over to Walnut Creek from Berkeley. When I got there, they said it would be around 4 hours(!) before they could have it done. I told them I would have to do it another day, turned around, and left. I am STILL waiting to be called back, but I did get an email Sunday asking why I had missed my service appointment.

Is Toyota of Berkeley so much worse?

BerkeleyGirl said:
Tadol said:
Just got my 10k service at Walnut Creek - they did all the firmware updates and other than it taking almost 5 hours, they were very professional and I would recommend them. -

I tried to get my 5K (6 month) service at Walnut Creek last Friday. It didn't go well. When I called Monday, they wouldn't give me an actual appointment, nor commit to a completion time. The gal on the phone said to call beforehand and see what the wait was like. I did call, and was told to leave my number and they would call me back. After waiting 30 minutes, I just drove over to Walnut Creek from Berkeley. When I got there, they said it would be around 4 hours(!) before they could have it done. I told them I would have to do it another day, turned around, and left. I am STILL waiting to be called back, but I did get an email Sunday asking why I had missed my service appointment.

Is Toyota of Berkeley so much worse?

I too have heard good recommendations for EV service by Palo Alto Toyota. I live closer to Hayward, CA. however, so I have gone to AutoNation Toyota at 24773 Mission Blvd off Highway 580 for three of my routine service appointments over the past 15 months. I have had no EV problems and routine service is very quick. (There is not much maintenance to do on electric cars.) The service department is well organized for making and following through on appointments. Good luck!

Patrice

Another poor experience in Walnut Creek. Is it just because I'm female that the dealer gives me the run around?

I brought my EV in early December for routine service and just assumed that they would locate and fix the failed heater. My mistake. Then I brought it back in late December to address the failed heater. Unfortunately, the only certified EV tech on duty went home sick early that day and they couldn't get to my car. I get it; these things happen. So, I brought the car back in mid January (last Friday) to have the failed cabin heating unit replaced. In fairness, the dealer did comp me a rental car for that second day-long service visit.

1) They told me over the phone Friday that they will need to charge me for 3 hours labor to remove and then replace my JdeMO unit, which must be removed to access the Denso 6kW heater. Tony Williams had provided super detailed written instructions (with pictures!) to show the Toyota "certified" EV tech what needed to be done to remove the JdeMO prior to working on the heater. I reviewed his instructions again just to make sure: they show it takes the removal of 3 plugs and 12 socket head bolts from the box/top plate assembly, movement/rotation of the disconnected box/top plate assembly, then removal of 8 more socket head bolts and a couple angle brackets from the base plate to access the heater. In what universe does that take 1.5 hours? When I baulked on the phone, they started to imply that the JdeMO could have caused the heater to fail, which was a very costly warranty repair. I shot that one down since the heater had failed at least a month before the JdeMO was installed in mid December.

2) Despite my telling the service guy who checked me in at 8am that (according to the Forum) failure of the heating unit seemed to be common for EV's and that said failure appeared to take out the DC converter with it, they called me around 1pm (I guess this was AFTER the 1.5 hours it took to get the JdeMO out of the way) to proudly tell me they had identified the heater and DC converter would need to be replaced. However, by that time they not could get parts to complete the repair that same day and I would need to leave the car with them until the next business day. Which is today.

I go back this afternoon to try and dicker them down on that 3 hour labor fee around the JdeMO. So angry and frustrated...
Think now that I have fast charging capability, I need to start going to Palo Alto for all my service.

they started to imply that the JdeMO could have caused the heater to fail, which was a very costly warranty repair. I shot that one down since the heater had failed at least a month before the JdeMO was installed in mid December.

This will ALWAYS be the immediate answer for all unknowns. It's just the human existence.

Going to qualified and KNOWLEGABLE shop is always money saved, and frustration you didn't have to endure (at least not as much, hopefully!).

A monkey could see that there was absolutely no interaction whatsoever with JdeMO and the cabin heater. That will never stop the incompetent from coming up with incompetent answers.

I have always had a "ham" radio installed in my car. When the 12V battery failed in my Leaf of course it was caused by my radio. They did not back off until I pointed out the relay that totally disconnected the unit unless the car was on.

I really think mechanics hate warranty work with its low pay. They jump on any excuse to bill the customer.

Maybe it is time that we put together a database of positive and negative service experiences with dealers. It should be easy to set up with a Google form / Google docs and people could fill in the fields with their info.

BerkeleyGirl"} Think now that I have fast charging capability said:
Update on my experience with Toyota Auto Nation in Hayward:

* They have never given me a car while they work on my EV.
* They did the software update for the "screen of death" recall.
* They fixed the car when I got "See dealer immediately screen" after that fix.
(They never said what had gone wrong.)
* They told me a cracked windshield is not covered on a leased car.
* They are friendly and helpful in demeanor.

If my leased car actually broke and would not work, I might find them wanting. However, so far I just call them and let them know I need help. They say "Bring it in." I drive it in. It's been drivable except for the one time the 12 volt battery went dead. The EV tow company charged it with a hand held charger. Then I drove it in for a 12 volt battery check.

Best, Patrice

Windshields are not covered lease or not. I had a new 4Runner that cracked from a stone at 33 miles on the way home. My insurance only covers it over the $500 deductible. Needless to say I paid Safeco and not the dealer.

My B has a $900 heated windshield with no generic available. I dread the day a stone cracks it.

In some states it is a no charge replacement under your comprehensive. Not in California.

I don't think any dealer has those parts on hand. If things go well, they will diagnose which parts to change, order parts and send you away with your car, still running but still without heat. It will take at least a few days to get the parts. There have been periods of time when there were no heaters in stock in US and they had to get more from Japan with a several week lead time. Tesla supplies the DC/DC converter and I don't know if they are repairing/rebuilding them or not.

Toyota Marin Diagnosed Heater and DC to DC converter failure. Can't give me an ETA on Parts. Tried to tell me the car was out of warranty service - it has 38K with an extended warranty - I can't remember the factory warranty on the heater but the DC to DC converter is still covered under 60K manufacturer warranty. It will be interesting to see what they say after getting the warranty work approved tomorrow. I hope the parts don't take too long.

bdunst said:
Toyota Marin Diagnosed Heater and DC to DC converter failure. Can't give me an ETA on Parts. Tried to tell me the car was out of warranty service - it has 38K with an extended warranty - I can't remember the factory warranty on the heater but the DC to DC converter is still covered under 60K manufacturer warranty. It will be interesting to see what they say after getting the warranty work approved tomorrow. I hope the parts don't take too long.
The heater should be on the basic 3/36 warranty. You just got your money's worth on the extended warranty. This is my main justification for buying the extended warranty. It's pretty likely that the heater will go out between years 3 and 8.

Back