Lease Ending Warranty Question

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackysoft

My lease is up in September. I'll have about 60k miles on my car by then. My residual is $19k. I love the car and would like to keep it, but I have no idea how the extended warranties work. The expensive components are the drivetrain, right? It looks like those are covered through 60k miles. If I buy the car I'd want an extended warranty. I'd also consider just extending the powertrain warranty if possible. Do I buy that now? I'm sitting at 45k miles right now, did I miss my window to extend the 36k mile basic coverage? It scares me that I'd basically get a little more than 3 years out of the 125k extended warranty before I'd be operating the car warrantyless, but I don't see any good EV alternatives in the Sept 2016 timeframe. Thoughts?

You're too late to get the Toyota Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement. That has to be purchased within 3 years and 36,000 miles. There is a Powertrain VSA, but it has the same time and mileage purchase requirement.

So basically, I can't get this car under an extended warranty of any kind? If so, it seems too risky to keep the car after lease end. Any reports on things like Carmax offers for these coming off lease?

wackysoft said:
So basically, I can't get this car under an extended warranty of any kind? If so, it seems too risky to keep the car after lease end. Any reports on things like Carmax offers for these coming off lease?
The only way I can think of for you to get into an extended warranty for YOUR car would be to pre-negotiate the lease return and used purchase from the dealer. However, this is predicated on what the terms are for getting a Used Car VSA from Toyota. There may be a mileage limit for the Used Car VSA that you would be beyond at the time of lease return. I think the dealer would have cartoon-like dollar signs in their eyes when you approach them to do this too.

I recall reading either here or on the FB page that you can still buy the extended warranty with Toyota, but the car needs to checked out first by the dealer's service dept. to make sure everything is working properly and that you're not buying the warranty after discovering some major problem with the car. Many call the dealer to verify?

You absolutely CAN still get a premium extended warranty even if you're outside the mileage or date of the original. They have 2 categories of extended warranties:
NEW is for those cars still under original manufacturer's warranty.
USED is for cars outside that warranty. Shorter term and a bit more expensive

Shop around for the best price. You can buy one from ANY Toyota dealer in the country. Try Jason in the finance departmentat Toyota of Kirkland, WA and ask if he'll give you the December special! Another forum member got one for his out of warranty 2012 there. (just do a search for their number.)

Back