Buying a Rav4 outside of CA

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Penn RAV,
I agree with you on all points. Today I went out one last time to look at the Cmax Energi, and the 2013 Leaf. I was unimpressed. I'm going to sleep on it, but as it stands now I will buy tomorrow. I have yet to find a negative review of the RAV4 EV.
Wish me luck :)

I agree..couldn't find any negative reviews..except that it sounds like charging timers
are consistently a problem..in Leaf, my charging timers are flawless...still overall, unless
you're going to pony up for the Model S...seems like this is the next best thing out there.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy! ;)

Just Purchased RAV4EV for $37,600 after dealer cash(8,800) in Bay Area.

If some one wants similar deal PM me i will be happy to share my dealer name and contact details and he is willing to sell couple more at this price.

CONGRATS!!! You got yours for almost 10 large less than me, and that was after I put well over 10 grand in a down payment via a trade-in! I wish I would of waiting! :shock:

hi, I live in st Louis and am seriously considering buying a Rav 4 EV. I will be in California in a few weeks and plan to test drive one, and if I like it will have it shipped to my home. I've talked w a local Toyota dealer who said that most maintenance would not be a problem, they are already taking care of the plug-in prius and that the warranty is good across the country. Unfortunately, I'm going to miss the $8800 incentive that expires April 1, but maybe there will be another. I would appreciate any thoughts/comments that any have to offer.

Hey Devin, there used to be an unwritten rule at new car dealerships, that allowed a prospective customer to put an advance "deposit" on a car that s/he wanted to buy at a locked in price. There is probably more than a 50-50 chance Toyota will extend the lucrative cash incentive and 0% financing well beyond April, but if you give them a deposit now, prior to your arrival in CA, and submit a credit app to validate your credit worthiness, they may honor the price a new RAV4 EV is available at thru early April even if you can't sign the papers until later. This may lower the risk of losing out on a great deal. It certainly wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

My wife would like to get either a PHEV or a full electric SUV or CUV. We live in Colorado and own a Volt. We were waiting for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV to come to market but if we can get one of these for around the same price we paid for the Volt, then we are ready to buy NOW. If you're a dealer or you know of a good dealer that will work with us being out of state then simply PM me and make a sale.

Aiming 39k after toyota and dealer incentives and would like the transaction to be as painless as possible... lol, if thats even possible at all ;)

TonyWilliams said:
Spiffster said:
Aiming 39k after toyota and dealer incentives and would like the transaction to be as painless as possible... lol, if thats even possible at all ;)

I'd say its easy. Try Dianne Whitmore at Carson Toyota, who has already sold and shipped the Rav4 out of state.

Yes... Dianne sold two this week, one to myself, and one to a co-worker. Both to Washington State. ;)

doug401 said:
TonyWilliams said:
Spiffster said:

I'd say its easy. Try Dianne Whitmore at Carson Toyota, who has already sold and shipped the Rav4 out of state.

Yes... Dianne sold two this week, one to myself, and one to a co-worker. Both to Washington State. ;)

She's going to have to send me some referral cash!!!

My blizzard pearl RAV 4 EV was picked up in San Diego today from shipping company...
Now 7 to 9 days to get out east!

Hopefully, no more blizzards in West :?

I guess it's a shorter distance than the trucking from Canada to southern CA...

We'll see how it goes!

If one of you Seattle area WA state Rav4 EV'ers would be interested in showing off your car, my wife and I would love to check it out. We're seriously thinking about buying one (I talked to Dianne yesterday) but it's a huge leap to do so without seeing one in person.

I bought a Tesla Model S two months ago - absolutely love it - and now we're considering replacing my wife's BMW X3 with a Rav4 EV. The Model X will be too big, and while the Tesla Bluestar Gen3 in an SUV form factor will likely be ideal, it's 4+ years down the road.

As a plus, I'd be happy to let you check out the Model S in return. :)

doug401 said:
TonyWilliams said:
Spiffster said:

Thanks for the referral. I will try and get in contact with her tomorrow. We actually bought our Volt out in CA. They had titled it there too which I thought was odd. Didnt really cause any problems for us, but I wonder if they did that so GM could get the credit for selling another (partial) zero emissions vehicle in CA... Perhaps that is what they are doing with the RAV4 EV? Title it in CA then ship it out of state?

Spiffster said:
... so GM could get the credit for selling another (partial) zero emissions vehicle in CA... Perhaps that is what they are doing with the RAV4 EV? Title it in CA then ship it out of state?

They all "self report" their data, and I guarantee that Toyota's data will show 2600 sold "in California" after 3 years.

Finally :D

http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image/149521801

It was the longest 10 days of my life.
The truck broke down... Then the hydraulic lift lines were damaged... And culminated with a car carrier vs. Dodge Durango accident in downtown Seattle at the Seneca merge. :? Wow. It would make a great HBO mini series.

But 2 Rav4 EV's arrived in Snohomish county, Washington State, in great shape.

Very cool
Now that we have some critical mass in WA state I feel a little better.
I wonder if we should pick a common Toyota dealer so we are not "educating" a whole bunch of them on our nickles?

For what it's worth. Took my RAV 4 EV into the local Lancaster, PA Toyota dealer today for safety/"emission" exam and to fix the fact
that dealer in San Diego forgot to pull short pin so that interior lights/keyless entry/etc. work. They told me they have one technician
in Lancaster, PA who is EV certified to work on RAV 4 EV. He quickly fixed interior light problem and said see you at 5k for service.

So there clearly are other places that have EV certified technicians outside CA...just don't advertise.

Clearly Toyota is benefitting from folks like me buying in CA (getting them their CA credits) and shipping outside...I did NOT
have mine titled in CA, but they did insist I pay CA sales tax (would have been 2% cheaper in PA)...prob. for CARB credit.

SeattleRav4 said:
Very cool
Now that we have some critical mass in WA state I feel a little better.
I wonder if we should pick a common Toyota dealer so we are not "educating" a whole bunch of them on our nickles?

Yes, great idea. I have a verbal from Rodland Toyota that they will service them. But when I attempted to get it in writing via email, no reply. I then attempted to get it in writing from Magic Toyota... No reply. But I'm optimistic that it won't be a problem. From a technicians stand point, I'm sure they would love to get Tesla experience. The only thing I see needed short term would be the software update to fix the charge timer issues. Let's keep in touch so we can keep score of which dealers are Rav4 EV friendly :) , and which are not :evil:

Maybe sending this thread link to all of them would spur some motivation.

Back