Power on but will not engage drive or turn off

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggodman

So I went out for lunch and unplugged (120) my Rav4 as usual, hit power button, it went though the startup sequence I was not paying attention really, went to engage drive and nothing. Tried to power off, no dice would not power off no matter how many times I hit power with foot on brake and off of it, long presses and short ones in secession, was about to disconnect negative terminal from 12 v battery then thought about it and plugged it back in, went to dash and it said can't start charging with power on I pushed the power button and the car shut off. Disconnected 120 again and pushed power and all worked as expected. Anyone else experienced anything similar? 15K miles, never any problems yet.

I've never had the car refuse to turn off, but i have had it refuse to go into Ready and have to turn it off and back on to get Ready. (when i had my foot on the brake so it should've gone to ready).

I always just thought the interlock was a little finicky. i've never had to cycle more than once.

This is not a problem that I have heard about.

Disconnecting the 12 V battery probably may not have helped you. When the car is on and the DC to DC is powered, disconnecting the 12 V battery has no effect to shut off the car. Of course, I suspect that your DC to DC was not powered.

Go try it...

1) the car must be in READY
2) firmly set the parking brake
3) block the wheels if you are on an incline
4) disconnect the 12 volt negative lead

The car will remain on.

I've gotten into a state where I seemingly can't turn it off, but I was always able to break the cycle by pressing the start button with my foot off the brake. I do know that one time I got into it, I had started the car without unplugging the J1772. When I couldn't get into gear, I realized what was wrong, unplugged, then found I still couldn't get into gear, and I seemingly couldn't turn the car off. But like I said, taking my foot off the brake and pressing start broke the cycle.

Could you have a borderline 12v battery? That can cause all kinds of strangeness.

This is essentially what happened when I had the heater and gateway ECU replaced; the car would not get to READY. At some point, someone disconnected one of the batteries, and it all came back up.

This happened to me two weeks ago, less than a month after they put in the third replacement propulsion unit. Car stranded me half way home. Stopped to get hay. Got back in the car and it wouldn't go into reverse or forward or shut off. Tried disconnecting the 12 volt battery. Didn't help. Towed it to the dealer. They took everything apart and put it back together over the week and everything worked again. They told me maybe a bad wire connection and that my 12 volt battery was going bad. So I bought a Costco replacement. So far no more issues.

It happened again. Approximately one month after it happened in January, I got stranded again. This time, the dealer said it was my traction battery pack. Tesla sent them a new pack without even telling the dealer. I now have a full capacity pack with 96,000 miles on my Rav4 and a new motor. :D

Bassman said:
It happened again. Approximately one month after it happened in January, I got stranded again. This time, the dealer said it was my traction battery pack. Tesla sent them a new pack without even telling the dealer. I now have a full capacity pack with 96,000 miles on my Rav4 and a new motor. :D
Nice :D

Similar (would not shut off) happened to me a bit ago. Did the DTE meter and charge level meter stay up or drop to zero like mine?

My Rav has not been able to shift out of nuetral during several startup sequences over the past few months.

It happened today. 4 restarts later it started up in park like normal and I was able to shift to drive. I hope it doesn't get worse, but if it does, I hope I get a new motor and battery :)

evdrive said:
My Rav has not been able to shift out of nuetral during several startup sequences over the past few months.

It happened today. 4 restarts later it started up in park like normal and I was able to shift to drive. I hope it doesn't get worse, but if it does, I hope I get a new motor and battery :)

Get a new 12 volt battery. Folks, this is happening a LOT as the cars enter year 4.

FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS OPERATE A RAV4 EV WITH A THREE OR MORE YEAR OLD ORIGINAL BATTERY !!!

smkettner said:
Bassman said:
Nice :D

Similar (would not shut off) happened to me a bit ago. Did the DTE meter and charge level meter stay up or drop to zero like mine?
Meter initially had mileage, but then went to lo even though the battery was half full.

TonyWilliams said:
Get a new 12 volt battery. Folks, this is happening a LOT as the cars enter year 4.

FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS OPERATE A RAV4 EV WITH A THREE OR MORE YEAR OLD ORIGINAL BATTERY !!!

Well, I think I need a new battery then. I would hate to be stranded in the woods with this pretty little SUV bricked. :eek:

Back